• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

upthread about Savary Island, here is a recent photo with sour cherry pie. was the best looking one at the moment.

tn_gallery_29113_2_277923.jpg

You accidentally linked to the thumbnail. If you remove the "tn_" part of the URL, you get the whole thing. Nice photo!

gallery_29113_2_277923.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I don't understand this ... why can't you say if it was good? Did you like the pie? If so, it was good

Okay...I'm giving it more thought. If I am asking myself if I'd go back just for the same pie again, I'd say no.

Bake Sale Bliss: The Sweetest Event

Well here's an event where I thought I'd for sure running into members of the Pink Tweed Triad, and tripping over eGulleters-but I didn't see anyone familiar. It was a beautiful sunny, breezy afternoon, and I headed down to the Vancouver Museum to check out the bake sale for the food bank put on by the "ThereShe Goes.ca" web site. The event was held in a room facing False Creek with lots of big windows, so natural light flooded the baking displays which were all very artfully and thoughtfully displayed. It was truly a photogenic event, and I'm sure women who run the web site will publish some gorgeous pics.

Aside from strawberries and milk, I hadn't had a proper breakfast, so this was to be my big fat indulgent brekkie. I started with the Queijadas de Coco (Portuguese coconut cupcakes) from Barefoot Contessa-definitely a recipe I will try from the cook book. There were cupcakes, and doggy biscuits, a creamy lemony drink, biscotti from Mix, and I never even made it to the brownies! One thing that was really fun were the big fat homemade marshmallows by Rosie and Pixie. I had one that was dipped in chocolate and crushed mixed nuts-Yum! Imagine that in your mug of cocoa! I bought a yellow one dipped in chocolate and colored sprinkles to take home to my four-year-old. I don't think he's ever tasted a marshmallow before and he was suitably impressed. I must mention that each marshmallow was packaged in its own little cellophane bag with a tag with a little marshmallow man drawn on it.

My absolute favorite sweet was Barbara Joe's Yorkshire Currant Tarts. (Of BJ's Books to Cooks) These were rich custardy tarts with raisins and a hint of lemon. They weren't too sweet-just right. Barbara Joe said her grandmother from Yorkshire used to make the recipe in pie form-which sounds truly decadent.

I also brought home a couple of pieces of the ginger cake from Martha Sturdy. The cake was lovely-very light, but gingery and chock full of ginger-the recipe calls for 2/3 a cup of molasses.

When I was thoroughly stuffed I headed over to the Blanche MacDonald tables to have a vanilla hand massage. It was s real treat, the aesthetician was charming and the scent in the lotion was subtle-none of that sickly sweet vanilla perfume that can be cloying. I didn't realize that the BM school has a spa in City Square Mall where you can book appointments on special days when they are in training and you can get really good deals on salon treatments! Cool!

After all those sweets I was craving a bitter unsweetened iced tea, but I spotted the outdoor patio downstairs where they were serving hot tea and coffee. There were beautiful rice paper umbrellas over little tables and hot pink cushions made of sari fabric on the stone ledge. A pair of mallard ducks had decided this was a good place for crumb-begging, and some ladies befriended them and gave them a few tidbits.

One lady at with me and we chatted about the cookbooks we'd bought which contained all the recipes for the sweets. She really wanted to buy some scones, but the scones were only available for purchase in a cute little package with a vintage porcelain teacup.

This was a gorgeous event for a good cause. The sweets were incredibly reasonably priced. I hope they do it again soon. I'm sure you'll still be able to buy the little cookbooks from the stores that participated. (They cost $8 and contain a baker's dozen of recipes.)

Zuke

PS: The event was very girly but there were a lot of men chowing down as well.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Finally, a spare moment to post some nearly forgotten photos from Afternoon Tea at The Fish House in Stanley Park.

It was a cloudy May afternoon, a few sprinkles here and there, perfect weather for indulging in a warm pot of tea and some decadent sweets with a few members of the Pink Tea Triad. I went the traditional route and opted for English Breakfast knowing that this old standby wouldn't disappoint in the nostalgia department.

gallery_18820_923_14002.jpg

We took a few moments to savour the first steamy sips of our tea before the eating festivities commenced. The Fish House is a lovely venue for afternoon tea, comfortable in a Cape Cod library sort of way, unexpectedly relaxed and not packed to the rafters with tourists during the mid-afternoon hours. It didn't take too long, however, before this three-tiered vision of loveliness graced our table.

gallery_18820_923_36008.jpg

We started with the savouries on the second tier: egg-salad pinwheels, cucumber and goat's cheese finger sandwiches, house-cured salmon on pretzel bread, and ham on an asiago biscuit. All absolutely lovely with my favourite being the cured salmon. Extra points for the egg salad being flavourful rather than the bland, insipid variety that's so often served in other establishments.

The top tier was obviously scones, organic currant as noted on the website, served with Devon cream and either raspberry or blueberry jam. Just the right size, not too small to leave us wanting, not too large to fill us up before we partook of dessert.

Last but certainly not least, the sweets tier.

gallery_18820_923_41996.jpg

Starting at the left and going clockwise, there were lemon tarts, mixed-berry-and-chocolate-cookie mousse, apple strudel, and chai-spiced butter balls. Of the desserts, my least favourite were the chai-spiced butter balls. A riff on shortbread, but a bit too dry and crumbly for my liking. The lemon tarts were excellent, though. Light and flaky pastry, nicely flavoured filling, not too tart, creamy without being heavy.

Overall, a wonderful experience. One of the best high tea services I've enjoyed in Vancouver. As The Fish House changes their Afternoon Tea menu regularly, I'd be more than happy to make a return visit and sample some of their other culinary delights. And the venue isn't prohibitively girly... perhaps next time we'll be able to add some testosterone to the mix. No, guys, you don't have to wear pink or tweed... unless, of course, you really want to. :wink:

Edited to remedy a stylistic impropriety.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks for the pictures and review, Joie. I was beginning to feel a bit let down as the Sweets and the City thread has been a bit forsaken as of late. :) Somehow I missed Zuke's review but have enjoyed reading it this evening. On behalf of those of us that can't get to all these wonderful places, PLEASE KEEP EATING SWEETS!!! :biggrin:

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Just wanted to show you what a Chinese Egg Tart - Portuguese Style looks like from Michelle's bakery in Kerrisdale (it was briefly discussed up thread).

These are definitely best when eaten on the same day they are made. Preferably you should be eating them on the way out of the store. The filling is very eggy - some are put off by how eggy the first time they have one (think creme caramel). The crust is wonderfully flakey. They are about a buck a piece and I think the best ones in the city.

Worth dropping in if you are in the neighbourhood (West Blvd and 48th or so).

gallery_25348_1373_324273.jpg

It's funny - Michelle's walls are decorated with loaves of crusty bread and multigrained studded buns and epi's. But they sell none of those things - only Chinese style baked goods and a white bread loaf that is so soft and white that Wonder Bread should be taking notes (great for toast though).

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I am curious as to whether anyone has tried the "Chocolate-themed" dinner at the Radisson in Richmond. My friends and I were going to try it a few weeks ago but due to scheduling conflict had to land up going elsewhere. Supposedly the chef incorporates chocolate into all the courses. The idea seems enticing, and now that it's mid-day and I'm crashing from my latest chocolate intake, my thoughts are returning to chocolate once again. Anyone?

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I'm so sorry I missed the tea at the Fish House. Joie, even before reading your praise for the lemon tarts, those pastries stood out from the rest. The pastry looks amazing, and the curd looks so creamy and bright! I don't have to work Saturday afternoons right now, so let's have another afternoon tea soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Yaletown Gelato on Homer and Davie, I have to say, the brothers have done it again.

They have a new cake called "Angelo" that is a personal size Angel Food Cake. In the center is a vanilla pudding with either fresh Raspberries or Blueberries, then finished off on the top and spilling down the sides ...chocolate. For $2.99 this IMO as a fantastic dessert and a good value.

Also new is a chocolate pudding cake that is pretty good as well.

The Rum Baba's continue to be a favourite snack for my sweetie.

In the next couple weeks they will be finished with construction in the expansion of their space which now fronts on Homer instead of being tucked two doors in.

Also, they gave me an inside scoop on an upcoming Gelato variety that they are now working on for all the pampered pooches in Yaletown. Should be interesting, Gelato for doggies :shock: .

Great gelato, friendly owners, and continued Italian pastry innovations is keeping this place a favourite of mine.

Lee! Thank you for the portugese egg tart tip. There used to be a portugese bakey at the corner of Robson and..... Cardero maybe? Now, sadly, yet another mediocre sushi rest.

The egg tarts were incredible and I think I ate just shy of a million of them.

Tomorrow I hit Michelles.

I have been chowing down on sweets from my friend Janet's bakery, Aran Spelt. If you all know anyone who has wheat sensitivities - send them on over. This week's highlight was a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache fillling and buttercream frosting. Made with spelt. And since spelt is good for you, I had it for dinner one night and then again for breakfast the next morning. And felt no guilt.

I have been chowing down on sweets from my friend Janet's bakery, Aran Spelt.  If you all know anyone who has wheat sensitivities - send them on over.  This week's highlight was a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache fillling and buttercream frosting.  Made with spelt.  And since spelt is good for you, I had it for dinner one night and then again for breakfast the next morning.  And felt no guilt.

This is the one at the corner of Commercial & Venables, no? Glad to hear its worthy of a visit or five. I have to admit the whole spelt thing had me rolling my eyes. Live and learn.

A.

Actually, one of my favorite bakers does wonderful things with spelt, so looking forward to trying the place on the Drive.

This past weekend I had Lemon Mousse cake on the patio of Shaughnessy (sp?) at Van Dusen Gardens: not earthshattering, but it warmed my cockles. It's a layer of lemon curd, then a dense pudding-like mousse and a graham cracker crust. They often have a good dessert special and they make their own ice creams and sorbets. The location and the view is one of may favorite in the city, and you can stroll off the calories in the garden afterwards.

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

--Mae West

I seem to be full of questions this week. My question today is as follows: where do you usually go for "special occasion" cakes?

In general, my family loves decadent, "I'm going to close my eyes in ecstasy" mousse cakes. Our usual standbys are Senses (Crispy Rasberry Mousse - although they're all pretty good), Ganache Patisserie (Caramel-Chocolat), Sweet Obsessions, and occasionally Bon Ton for their Diplomat. We have also sampled from La Petite France and just recently went to Mondo Gelato for a lovely made-to-order gelato cake.

So ... are there any places that I'm missing? Any to die for cakes/places that I should sample instead? We are not mousse exclusive - open to other richly satisfying tasting adventures ...

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

One of our family's old favourites for birthday parties is the purple potato cake at Goldilocks, which definitely falls under the heading of "taste adventure". You can see a picture of the rolled version here, though they also do a round version which, if memory serves me correctly (it's been YEARS since I've had one of these), uses a more whipped cream-like icing in place of buttercream. The cake itself is quite good - again, if my crappy memory is on form today - it occupies a nice niche flavour and texture-wise somewhere between the sweet and dense Western style sponge cake, and the less sweet, fluffier style you get in many Chinese bakeries.

Goldilocks is definitely worth a visit, if only to gawk at the purple cakes. They have a pretty big range of products there, including these ridiculously yummy cookies that are shaped like canoes and filled with different fillings (you can see a couple of them in the "Pies and Pastries" picture on the main Bakeshop webpage.)

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

One of our family's old favourites for birthday parties is the purple potato cake at Goldilocks, which definitely falls under the heading of "taste adventure". You can see a picture of the rolled version here, though they also do a round version which, if memory serves me correctly (it's been YEARS since I've had one of these), uses a more whipped cream-like icing in place of buttercream.  The cake itself is quite good - again, if my crappy memory is on form today - it occupies a nice niche flavour and texture-wise somewhere between the sweet and dense Western style sponge cake, and the less sweet, fluffier style you get in many Chinese bakeries.

Goldilocks is definitely worth a visit, if only to gawk at the purple cakes. They have a pretty big range of products there, including these ridiculously yummy cookies that are shaped like canoes and filled with different fillings (you can see a couple of them in the "Pies and Pastries" picture on the main Bakeshop webpage.)

Mmmmm... ube cake. That's pretty impressive Jenn; ube isn't a flavour widely known among non-Filipinos. Goldilocks also makes an ube macapuno buttercream roll, akin to a jelly roll, that has tender young coconut rolled into it. One of my favourites.

The boat tarts are pastry shells filled with various tropical fruits: jackfruit (langka), young coconut (macapuno), ube (purple yam), mango, pineapple, almond and cheese.

If anyone ever needs a gastronomic tour of the Goldilocks pastry case, I'm in! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I'll eat my way through that pastry case with you anytime, Joie :biggrin: I wonder what the best wine pairing for an ube cake would be?

For anyone who stops by to grab some of the boat tarts (hint: they come wrapped in coloured cellophane and make fine additions to gift baskets of food items), GET THE PINEAPPLE ONE. Oh man, those things are GOOD. I might have to go get one today.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Canucklehead, Daddy-A, peppyre and I stopped in at Ganache Pâtisserie for a post-prandial sweet fix on Friday afternoon. Our selection by committee came up with the following four desserts.

gallery_18820_923_11660.jpg

Starting from the top left and working clockwise, we have:

• Chocolat Noir: Tanzanie chocolate mousse, flourless chocolate biscuit, 70% dark chocolate ganache with cayenne pepper, brownie biscuit
  • Caramel-Chocolat: Milk chocolate caramel mousse with hazelnut croquant, raspberry gelée, 75% Tanzanie dark chocolate mousse, praline crunch, chocolate biscuit
  • Blanc Gingembre: White chocolate cheesecake, crystallized ginger, raspberries
  • Campari-Litchi: raspberry campari cream, lychees, vanilla sablé

Of this quartet, my definite favourite was the Blanc Gingembre. Delicate and creamy, not too sweet with just a hint of ginger flavour offset nicely by the tartness of the raspberries. And the Chocolat Noir had a lovely subtle bite, courtesy of the cayenne pepper.

I'll leave it to my dining companions to weigh in on our other two pastry selections.

As an aside, Chef Peter Fong unveiled his new summer menu on Saturday... definitely worth another trip down soon to check it out.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Based on the descriptions alone, my favourite would have to be the Chocolate Noir. I'm kicking myself for not making it to lunch mafia on Friday now. The Campari-Litchi sounds really interesting too...I love the floral taste of lychees, but I don't think I've tasted it in a dessert yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this place has been discussed yet but I went to BC Gelato on Broadway and Spruce and had a really fresh and delicous blackberry sorbetto. Full of fruit flavour and an amazing creamy texture (not sure how you get that texture without dairy - sugar?).

It was quiet in the store - as it is in a kind of no man's land stretch of Broadway just west of Oak. Cafe de Medici gets their gelato and sorbetto from this shop.

If you are in the hood - it is worth checking out.

I agree Lee, it is definitely worth checking out. I used to wander down there for gelato and espresso almost every night when I lived next door to the place. It's a very small family operation and I believe the mother is still making all of the gelato by hand. Must get some for my freezer when I have the room.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe how long it's been since I posted on this thread. Anyway, I vouch for the green tea mousse cake at Steeps on Broadway. It's a good balance of the savory tea and the sweetness and lightness of the sponge and the mouse. The sour cherry chocolate chip coffee cake is very good at Kokopelli on Dunbar. My dentist is making a good living off my sweet tooth this week. :sad:

Zuke

--Mae West

• 3 weeks later...