• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

Almost bought the Savary blueberry pie from Stong's today and saw Kiwi Pie Company's pies in the freezer.

The Checkerboard Crumble pie with apple, roasted pineapple and caramel is warming in the oven and my place smells soooo good.

I also bought a mini New Zealand Minted Lamb and Butternut Squash pie.

If all fares well, I'm back to try the berry pie and other savoury pies from the Kiwi Pie Company.

BTW, the only Savary Island pies available at Stong's were Apple, which I believe is the best I've ever tasted, and the Blueberry, which is well worth it at this time of the year (it's a huge pie and no chintzing out on blueberries!)

Edited by maxmillan (log)

Almost bought the Savary blueberry pie from Stong's today and saw Kiwi Pie Company's pies in the freezer. 

The Checkerboard Crumble pie with apple, roasted pineapple and caramel is warming in the oven and my place smells soooo good. 

I also bought a mini New Zealand Minted Lamb and Butternut  Squash pie.

If all fares well, I'm back to try the berry pie and other savoury pies from the Kiwi Pie Company.

BTW, the only Savary Island pies available at Stong's were Apple, which I believe is the best I've ever tasted, and the Blueberry, which is well worth it at this time of the year (it's a huge pie and no chintzing out on blueberries!)

The Savary Island sour cherry and buttermilk (w/ or w/o blueberries) are also truly excellent.

I am glad that Kiwi pie company has made it into a local supermarket. I know that they have been negotiating with other supermarkets - but the markets would like them to package the pies either pre-cooked and then frozen, or in a microwavable box that would crisp the crust (a la Marie Calendar's). The supermarkets were trying to make them more 'convienent'.

I really like the Kiwi pies and try to have them on hand in the freezer (from their store). Just just bake them up in your toaster oven for about 45min's or so and the pastry comes out soo flaky and crisp. I like their more tranditional pies the best, Steak and Mushroom, Chicken and Ham, and Turkey w/ Cranberry stuffing.

It is one of life's great pleasures to have one their pies in front of the TV with a glass of cold milk and revert to being an 8 year old again.

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a bakery that makes good Pasteis de Nata (Portuguese custard tarts). I have a craving for one that I partly satisfied when I was in Toronto but it's returned since I've been back in Vancouver.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a bakery that makes good Pasteis de Nata (Portuguese custard tarts).  I have a craving for one that I partly satisfied when I was in Toronto but it's returned since I've been back in Vancouver.

Apparently there's this little spot on Robson Street called Fine Pastries of Lisbon Bakery that sells Pasteis de Nata. Have never sampled them myself and would be interested to read your review once you check out this spot!

Fine Pastries of Lisbon

1696 Robson Street

604-688-3340

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a bakery that makes good Pasteis de Nata (Portuguese custard tarts).  I have a craving for one that I partly satisfied when I was in Toronto but it's returned since I've been back in Vancouver.

The first one we tried in Vancouver is from

Michelle cake shop (Chinese bakery?) in Kerrisdale, 604.261.3284

6033 W Boulevard (on your right hand side going North on West Boulevard).

After gobbled up our own respective portion, we went back the next day and bought 20 of them right from the oven. :raz:

Then, we discover Fortuna bakery (i think this is portuguese owned? found a portuguese newspaper in the store... :biggrin: ) 604.298.9610

4240 Hastings Street (go east on hastings, past the PNE, it's on your right hand side before Anton's pizza)

You might want to call them before making the trip, the tarts sold out super fast.

Also tried their white bean pastries. It's super yummy. :wink:

I like Fortuna's version better because the custard are thoroughly cooked and firm. Personally I don't like any 'wiggly' texture. However, my hubby loves Michelle's version because he likes the softer custard.

Happy custard hunting and lemme know which one you like best and why. :smile:

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

I've neglected my pictorials in this thread as of late and thought I'd post a shot of the desserts that *Deborah* and I sampled at Pane From Heaven on Saturday.

gallery_18820_923_32497.jpg

Lemon Tart and Chocolate Ganache Cake

The lemon tart had a true, tart lemon taste -- not insipid or bland in the least. Pastry shell was only okay but was certainly redeemed by the filling.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Joie, did you like the chocolate/lemon combo? It looks like the crust was painted with chocolate before the lemon filling was poured. The colour contrast looks great but the flavour?....

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Oh, the flavour was good to my tastebuds. It's not hyper-sweet chocolate, but it sets off the tartness of the lemony goodness.

My jaded palate was indifferent to the crust, but good golly was that lemon gooooood.

I also took home some mini tarts (lemon and chocolate ganache, sorry no photos!), as well, so the (now) ex-Boy could try, and he enjoyed them very much :hmmm:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

For those who were craving Chris Brown's chocolate cherry buns, he will be at the trout Lake market this Saturday. (Sometimes he makes them with pear instead, I think.)

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Thanks for the Pasteis de Nata suggestions. I've had the Michele's ones - good but not like the ones in Lisbon at the Pasteis de Belem. Wish I could have them flown over here! I think the bakery on Robson went out of business. However, I will definitely be visiting the Hastings Street bakery that was recommended.

Ling, a few months ago, I tried the recipe from the David Leite website and was very pleased with the results. Maybe I'll make another batch if I can't find exactly what I'm craving.

As for tarte au sucre, I've had some at Zizanie and also Rooster's Quarters. Neither were stellar examples but did the trick. Hmm... another worthwhile baking project for this weekend.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

upthread about Savary Island, here is a recent photo with sour cherry pie. was the best looking one at the moment.

tn_gallery_29113_2_277923.jpg

Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you. twofish@iyume.com

Upon reading this thread my friend and I went to Lilykate to try the recommended coconut cake and we graded it C+ at best.

The sponge was dry and the icing too sweet which overpowered the cake.

However, we think it's a great place to hang out.

^That's too bad, maxmillan. The coconut cake we ate was fresh and moist...I guess your piece had been sitting in the pastry case for too long!

My addiction to all things chocolate prompts me to ask for brownie recommendations. I like them very thick and fudgy--not cakey. I'm indifferent to whether they contain icing, flavourings, or nuts, as long as the brownie itself is good.

Hi folks,

Just a note to tell you they have a new menu at Wingnuts on Main and have added

deep-fried Snickers and S'more bars to the Deep-fried chocolate options. I think they only offered the Mars Bars before.

Zuke

--Mae West

deep-fried Snickers and S'more bars to the Deep-fried chocolate options. I think they only offered the Mars Bars before.

Deep-fried S'More Bars? Holy jumpin' cholesterol fix Batman... now that's showing some serious potential.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Hi folks,

Zuke

The deep-fried Snickers bars have been there for a while...see here:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Deep-fried S'More Bars? Holy jumpin' cholesterol fix Batman... now that's showing some serious potential.

We tried the deep fried snickers at a now defunct little cafe on Denman. It was interesting. The crust was like a tempura type batter that they fried just long enough for it to get crisp. Then they topped it off with a huge mound of Whip Cream and strawberries in syrup. It makes my mouth pucker right now remembering how sweet it was. :raz:

I went to Notte's Bon Ton to have my chocolate fix...

Tried the Chocolate Progress, Chocolate Ganache, Spaghetti(weird name), and a Pineapple one(can't remember the name).

All the chocolate ones are really good! The chocolate ganache filling is not as dense, but creamy nonetheless.

Oh, another gem at Pane From Heaven is their fruit and nut scone. It's probably the best scone I've tasted ever!

High Tea at Sweet Revenge with the Zucchini Family

On a cool and rainy Sunday in May, we decided to cozy up to high tea at Sweet Revenge on Main Street. I called early in the morning to make a reservation, but no one was there. (Hmmm...no one's there at 6 A.M. to make everything by scratch?) Well, I suspect high tea at many places has one or two things made a head and frozen, and the reality is this place is so small, they would have to prepare most things ahead. Many things on a tea tray do reheat very well anyway.

At two o'clock we three were the only ones in the tearoom, and so it was very intimate and relaxing. I'm always transported back to Europe when I sit in this room with its dark red embossed wallpaper and 1920's to '40's crooner music playing. I also like that while we were having tea the owner was tenderly dusting and re-arranging the tea caddies on the shelves. He lives in the neighborhood and it's obvious he loves what he's doing.

We order a tea and a half. A full tea has 10 items and costs $21.50, including tea, of course. A half tea costs $9 and includes four items off the high tea menu of your choosing. To get the best experience here, I would do the half high tea, and here's what I would order:

1) The lemon bread drizzled with lemon curd. I didn't get to eat any, but judging by the way P and U. scarfed it down, it was good. In fact, a day later, my son was relating to me how he would definitely order the lemon bread again.

2) The prociutto on focaccia or the flaky, buttery mini croissant, which is notches higher than any croissants usually available in Vancouver

3) The tiny ramekin of pear brulée-great idea and lots of vanilla seeds on the bottom

4)The curry and sun dried tomato bread with chutney chicken salad. This was my favorite item and inspired me to create something like it at home. The bun was the star, with a full-on curry flavor. It tasted moist and fresh.

The other items were less inspired, so I would say do two of what you do best instead of many items with some not at the same standard.

We passed the time chowing down and making up small crossword puzzles. A nice touch to end the tea was a small bowl of sliced srtawberries, kiwi, and pineapple.

The tea selection, served in bodums, is great. P. ordered Jasmine and I had the Chocolate Revenge Rooibus with milk, to share with U. It smells chocolately and tastes slightly minty.

For less than what we would have paid for three movie tickets and bad popcorn, this was a lovely afternoon outing.

I would love to see this place thrive. Apparently it really hops with a late-night after dinner crowd. I love my neighborhood!

Zuke

--Mae West

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had time today to go to West Vancouver in search of pie...The Savary Island Pie!. The place was jammed with people at noon, and not a single empty seat in sight. But I had to have my pie...so I sat outside on the tiny patio, looking out at the pouring rain. Anyway, I had the lemon buttermilk pie with berries, but since I never really eat pie, so I can't compare it to others I've had and say whether it was good or not...

A few steps down from Savary Island is a cafe called Amadeo. I had something called "Mocha Delight". Oh. My. God. It was so good! Mocha cream dipped in chocolate. I could really make the effort to go to North shore just for that!

Anyway, I had the lemon buttermilk pie with berries, but since I never really eat pie, so I can't compare it to others I've had and say whether it was good or not...

I don't understand this ... why can't you say if it was good? Did you like the pie? If so, it was good :wacko:

I like Savary Island except for its layout. When it's busy, there's really nowhere to stand while you're waiting. But the pie is worth the wait IMO. I just hate being in the way ...

A.

Anyway, I had the lemon buttermilk pie with berries, but since I never really eat pie, so I can't compare it to others I've had and say whether it was good or not...

I don't understand this ... why can't you say if it was good? Did you like the pie? If so, it was good :wacko:

I like Savary Island except for its layout. When it's busy, there's really nowhere to stand while you're waiting. But the pie is worth the wait IMO. I just hate being in the way ...

A.

Yes, I understand, it's hard to understand the nuance of pie unless you have something to compare it to. Personally, I prefer the ghetto goodness of the apple tarts at New Town Bakery in Chinatown. Be forwarned that you have to take the abuse at the counter because the prices are sooo cheap. Also, my mom's Apple pie is amazing. . .(There's a kiss up job if I ever saw one; too bad she doesn't know how to use the internet :laugh: ).

Other treats that should be a food group: My co-workers and I are obsessed with the miniature cake doughnuts covered in icing powder that are available at IGA, safeway etc. For me, it brings back memories of my grandfather. But I guess "good memory" foods should always be considered a separate food group.