• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

Any recommendations on the best places to buy Paris style macaroons in Vancouver? I have a major craving - I'll probably land up making my own but it's always good to know where I can go for a quick fix.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Ganache Patisserie, I went there yesterday to get something for a little Christmas get-together with some girlfriends, and THIS is what I took away with me:

PC060002_1.jpg

"Caramel-Café-Chocolat 2005: dark chocolate caramel mousse, cranberry gelée, cappuccino-chocolate chip parfait, spiced poached pears, chocolate sponge."

It was the bûche de Noël to end all bûches de Noël. It was simply divine. The 6 in. size was big enough for about 8 servings, and it was $22.95, and there was a 10 in. one, as well (forget the price).

Highly recommended!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Nice photo, Deborah!

That combination of flavours sounds incredibly good. I'm only skeptical of one thing, however. You say 8 servings. Does that mean I have to share it with other people if I buy one?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I had the matcha exotique last month, & it was quite good. The mango & passionfruit gelee was quite refreshing. There were actually bits of passionfruit in theh gelee! I have a picture somewhere, I'll post it later...

"Caramel-Café-Chocolat 2005: dark chocolate caramel mousse, cranberry gelée, cappuccino-chocolate chip parfait, spiced poached pears, chocolate sponge."

There are so many flavours going on in that dessert. Do they sell individual servings? That's one of the prettiest buche de Noel's I've seen!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to write to put in a plug for the new pastry shop in Kerrisdale, sweet e's (2032 West 41st Avenue). I've been meaning to try them out ever since I read the review in the Vancouver Courier. They have a nice selection of cakes, squares, tarts, and cookies. I landed up buying a small raspberry mousse cake with five layers of delightfully light sponge cake as well as some almond thins. I received a small token for a free chocolate truffle pop for my next visit. They had quite a few whole cakes - I think if they sold slices of their various cakes, they might be able to bring in even more business since I was dying to try more than one item.

The owners were helpful and incredibly pleasant - I really hope that they manage to make their business a success!

http://www.sweet-e.ca

http://www.vancourier.com/issues05/115205/dining.html

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

• 3 months later...

Not quite a dessert question - but every time I go to Burgoo, I hoard the candies that come in the little bamboo basket with the bill at the end of the meal. I think they're called Sperlari Caramelline. Anyone know where I can buy these? They're very yummy.

Not quite a dessert question - but every time I go to Burgoo, I hoard the candies that come in the little bamboo basket with the bill at the end of the meal.  I think they're called Sperlari Caramelline.  Anyone know where I can buy these?  They're very yummy.

You can get them at most Italian grocery stores. I often go to La Grotta Del Formaggio on Commercial Drive to buy them.

• 6 months later...

I think Patisseire Dore was mentioned upthread - but I can't find the exact listing.

I picked up some baking from them last weekend and it was excellent. The owners are Asian and it shows in the lightness in the products. The croissants and pain au chocolate were satisfying - a decent richness and a leaf-like quality which shows hand turning of the dough.

I also got a selection of little patries, cassis mousse cake, hazelnut chocolate cake (which was oddly decorated with pistachios and pecans), dark chocolate mousse cake (which is described as 'cheese' cake), and a white chocolate cake. They were all very good (as *deborah will also testify). The flavors were clean and distinct - the white chocolate cake actually tasted like white chocolate instead the usual blank sweetness. The execution was very well done - and though not as ambitious as Ganache - the results were excellent. Worth stopping by this Main St spot (even though its at 55 Kingsway) as an alternative to hoofing it downtown or into Kits when looking for fancy little cakes.

Here's what the Vancouver Sun said about a year ago in their listing of good little coffee joints:

17. Patisserie Dore

55 Kingsway

It's right near coffee central around Main St. and Broadway, but it is tucked into a fairly odd location. Owned by a young couple, Jeff Lee and Louisa Fung, it is not the easiest place to find.

Once you find it, however, you discover a true little patisserie with French baking, croissants and well-brewed coffee. It is clean, bright and sparsely elegant. If you go during the week, construction workers traipse in for their break, leaving their muddy boots at the door and padding around in stocking feet. They provide a charmingly incongruent touch to the delicate decor

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I wandered into the new St Germaine on Denman (and Davie) was surprised to see a very large selection of french style baked goods. The head baker - Mickey Zhao has got a bagful of pretty impressive awards.

Most surprising where the trays of large French macaroons. I sampled a few - and the Chocolate Orange were the best - enough bitter darkness to balance the sweet meringues. Delicous.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Most surprising where the trays of large French macaroons.  I sampled a few - and the Chocolate Orange were the best - enough bitter darkness to balance the sweet meringues.  Delicous.

Thanks for that tip Lee. I'm heading that way later today.

Cheers,

Anne

Here's a picture of the macaroons at St Germain - roughly palm sized at $1.25 a piece. Strawberry and lemon - very tasty. Crispy exterior with slightly chewy almond meringue interior and a cream filling between the cookies.

gallery_25348_1380_1040.jpg

Besides Bon Ton - not sure where else you could just walk in and get a bag load of macaroons.

Here's a picture of the macaroons at St Germain - roughly palm sized at $1.25 a piece.  Strawberry and lemon - very tasty. Crispy exterior with slightly chewy almond meringue interior and a cream filling between the cookies. 

Besides Bon Ton - not sure where else you could just walk in and get a bag load of macaroons.

You can try Ganache Patisserie for some macaroons.

Here's a picture of the macaroons at St Germain - roughly palm sized at $1.25 a piece.  Strawberry and lemon - very tasty. Crispy exterior with slightly chewy almond meringue interior and a cream filling between the cookies. 

They are good and very reasonably priced. A little on the sweet side, I agree the more complex flavours of the dark chocolate/orange stood out. But for $1.25 each they are such a bargain. A box of 12 for $13.00 would be a nice gift.

Cheers,

Anne

• 3 months later...
I think Patisseire Dore was mentioned upthread - but I can't find the exact listing.

I picked up some baking from them last weekend and it was excellent. The owners are Asian and it shows in the lightness in the products.  The croissants and pain au chocolate were satisfying - a decent richness and a leaf-like quality which shows hand turning of the dough.

I also got a selection of little patries, cassis mousse cake, hazelnut chocolate cake (which was oddly decorated with pistachios and pecans), dark chocolate mousse cake (which is described as 'cheese' cake), and a white chocolate cake.  They were all very good (as *deborah will also testify).  The flavors were clean and distinct - the white chocolate cake actually tasted like white chocolate instead the usual blank sweetness.  The execution was very well done - and though not as ambitious as Ganache - the results were excellent.  Worth stopping by this Main St spot (even though its at 55 Kingsway) as an alternative to hoofing it downtown or into Kits when looking for fancy little cakes.

Here's what the Vancouver Sun said about a year ago in their listing of good little coffee joints:

17. Patisserie Dore

55 Kingsway

It's right near coffee central around Main St. and Broadway, but it is tucked into a fairly odd location. Owned by a young couple, Jeff Lee and Louisa Fung, it is not the easiest place to find.

Once you find it, however, you discover a true little patisserie with French baking, croissants and well-brewed coffee. It is clean, bright and sparsely elegant. If you go during the week, construction workers traipse in for their break, leaving their muddy boots at the door and padding around in stocking feet. They provide a charmingly incongruent touch to the delicate decor

Looks like this place has closed.

• 1 month later...

Those macaroons look soooo good :)

I prefer going to Sweet Revenge http://sweet-revenge.ca/. It has a Victorian/old-style-Shanghai feel to it. It's always busy during the after-dinner hours.

It's a super cute place with hundreds types of teas to accompany your dessert. I rather come here then Death By Chocolate or True Confections.

And it's hard to find too...even though I've been there at least 4 times now...the last time I just walked by it and missed it.