• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Red Boots

Holly Moore

Two Red Boots Louisianna Style Pizza. It is like Popeye's got in the pizza business. This is not a chain though. Just someone who got creative with pizza.

The basic tomato sauce has a cajun kick to it and topping possibilities include BBQ shrimp, crayfish, andouille, tasso, creole chicken and jalapeno. They also have blackened catfish and blackened chicken sandwiches served with cajun slaw, jambalaya plattter, and fried catfish.

I just stopped in for a look, tried a basic slice. Very thick pizza crust, nicely cooked and I liked the hot tomato sauce. I'll be curious to try some of the other toppings. Not sure how crayfish will hold up at pizza oven temps.

They are at 2104 Chestnut Street, open daily.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Interesting. I just drove by this place an hour or so ago, and wondered what's up. Seems like it'd be worth a try, especially for andouille or tasso pizza. I don't know if I could stomach crayfish or shrimp pizza. Melted cheese and shellfish ain't my thing.

Now, if the jambalaya, catfish, and so on are worth eating, it'll truly be cause to rejoice!

Is this affiliated in any way with the Two Boots "mini chain" from New York City or is some enterprising soul flirting with the trademark laws. At any rate I felt the same way you did about shellfish and cheese until I tried the crawfish pizza at Two Boots (the original one in NY) some years ago and was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Taboni (log)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Is this affiliated in any way with the Two Boots "mini chain" from New York City or is some enterprising soul flirting with the trademark laws. At any rate I felt the same way you did about shellfish and cheese until I tried the crawfish pizza at Two Boots (the original one in NY) some years ago and was pleasantly surprised.

http://www.digitalcity.com/philadelphia/di...adp?sbid=190670

I stopped in shortly after they opened and was unimpressed. The crust seemed floppy (undercooked?) and the cornmeal dusted on the bottom was gritty and hard - like eating sandy pizza. It was opening week, though - maybe they've improved.

Some of the prices seemed high - their specialty pies (named after baseball teams) were ~$19.

I stopped in shortly after they opened and was unimpressed. The crust seemed floppy (undercooked?) and the cornmeal dusted on the bottom was gritty and hard - like eating sandy pizza. It was opening week, though - maybe they've improved.

Some of the prices seemed high - their specialty pies (named after baseball teams) were ~$19.

They seemed to have the crust down pat when I was there last week - but all I got was one slice, reheated.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Interesting to see the interplay between the NYC and Philly markets with such stuff. The trademark issue mentioned would not appear to be much of a concern, particularly given the propensity for restaurants in NYC and Philly to share the exact same names and nothing else, e.g. each city's Django.

As to Two Boots and their pizza, I'm not a big fan, actually. I find something in the sauce unappealing, as if some of the herbs are clashing and resulting in a disharmonious flavor remniscent of cleaning solutions. Maybe that's just my taste buds (I've recently realized I can't taste black truffles either.)

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch