• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrots from the garden

NickV

I've got plenty of carrots in my garden at the moment. I've taken to pulling one up and eating it as I water the garden at dusk, but I think it's time to bring some into the kitchen. What would you do with a wealth of fresh carrots?

When they're that fresh, I prefer to not do too much too them. Steam to desired doneness and add a little salt, pepper, butter and parsley and enjoy. Could add a bit of fresh tarragon as well, not too much though. Or julienne and stir fry quickly with some julienned celery and some thin strips of marinated beef, toss with a little soy and oyster sauce.

Carrot cakes and breads that you can freeze.

Ditto the pickles, that you can 'put up.'

Copper Pennies

Shredded carrot salad

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I get one of those juicers, and juice the carrots along with some cayenne peppers (not too many), celery, a bit of onion maybe, you know, try to make some homemade V-8 juice.

I'd then freeze the juice that I didn't drink right away.

Yum!

doc

Other than hanging around munching on them while saying, "Eh, What's up, Doc?" . . .

My favorite thing for fresh sweet carrots is to steam or cook in minimal liquid and add a bechamel sauce for creamed carrots. I have been known to eat nothing else. The other fairly recent discovery is to make a gratin of them using cream sort of like a potatoes dauphinoise.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Nick, what I love to do with a really fresh carrot is to shred it and serve it at the dinner table with a bit of vinaigrette. Sometimes I will add a splash of basalmic but if they're fresh and sweet you won't need much more than a drop. They won't need much more than a sprinkling of oil and some salt. Ahh. Pulling one up and eating it as you water the garden at dusk sounds like heaven.

You should probably do a carrot cake. I have a very good recipe which I will dig up.

Carrot cake.

2 cups cake flour

1 teaspoon soda

1/2 t. powder

2t. cinnamon

1/2t. salt

1/2 t. grated dried nutmeg

4 large eggs

180ml veg. oil or walnut oil

185 g. granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 c. butter milk

3 cups shredded carrots

Sift dry ingredients and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, sugars, and buttermilk until well blended. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the carrots. This will do two round layers. Bake at 180 C or about 350 F. 40 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

Frosting.

1 string farmer's white cheese (300g) or the equivalent in philadelphia cream cheese

6T. high quality butter, softened

1 cup confectioners sugar

1 1/2 t. vanilla

work together the butter and the cheese. add the vanilla and mix until smooth. work the sugar in until it's the consistency you want.

Chocolate Cream Frosting.

1/4 cup high quality butter

1/4 cup cream

315 g. bittersweet chocolate at least 65% cocoa

3/4 cups sour cream

1 c. confectioners sugar

medium saucepan, melt the butter in the cream. add the chocolate and stir until melted. whicsk until smooth. remove from heat and let cool about 10 minutes. whisk in the confectioners sugar let sit 10 minutes or until thick enough to spread.

Other than hanging around munching on them while saying, "Eh, What's up, Doc?" . . .

My favorite thing for fresh sweet carrots is to steam or cook in minimal liquid and add a bechamel sauce for creamed carrots. I have been known to eat nothing else. The other fairly recent discovery is to make a gratin of them using cream sort of like a potatoes dauphinoise.

Yes we were served this on a sheep farm a few years ago. It was delicious. It was basically the meal. You can use goat or sheeps cheese to make it really good.

I like Ginger Ale Carrots. The recipe is: add carrots, butter, ginger ale to pan. The ginger ale makes the carrots sweet and gingery. Delicious.

I also love soup made with roasted carrots - I either go with ginger here as well, or some orange juice.

I like Ginger Ale Carrots.  The recipe is:  add carrots, butter, ginger ale to pan.  The ginger ale makes the carrots sweet and gingery.  Delicious.

I also love soup made with roasted carrots - I either go with ginger here as well, or some orange juice.

Well then, you might like this recipe. It's my very favorite for cooked carrots.

Ginger-Orange Glazed Carrots

2 1/2 C thick-sliced carrots, or baby carrots

3 T ginger preserves (or orange marmalade and 1 t grated fresh ginger)

2 T frozen OJ concentrate

1 T butter

Cook carrots, covered, in a small amount of salted water 3-5 minutes. Do not overcook at this point. Drain and set aside.

In saucepan over med heat, combine preserves, OJ, and butter. Stir until melted and combined. Return drained carrots to saucepan. Cook over med heat, uncovered, 5-6 minutes or until carrots are tender and well-glazed, stirring occasionally.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

From justbreadrecipes.com:

Whole Wheat Carrot Bread

1 1/2 ts Active dry yeast

1 1/3 c Bread Flour

2/3 c Whole Wheat Flour

1 ts orange zest

1 1/2 ts Dill Weed

1 ts Salt

1/2 ts Mustard

1/2 c Cottage Cheese

2 tb Honey

2 tb Corn Oil

1 c Carrot, grated

All ingredients should be at room temp before starting. Add ingredients in the order listed. Select White Bread, press Start. Dough will seem excessively dry. Do not add liquid until near the end of first kneading so that liquid can be extracted from the vegetables. Dough should be soft, rounded and slightly tacky at that point. If not, add additional liquid one tablespoon at a time until it is.

- - - - -

This came out quite well. Recipe is for a one-pound loaf; I proportioned up for a 1&1/2 lb loaf and used the Large Whole Wheat setting on my bread machine. Didn't have corn oil, used olive instead. I used dried dill; flavor would probably have been stronger if I'd had fresh. Very good toasted.

This is my favorite original recipe:

carrots with marsala and lime marmalade

It has been posted on this site for several years.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Carrots and onions go well together when in a cream/Bechamel sauce. My mother used to cook new carrots that way, although hers were more likely boiled in water and the cooking water thickened with a flour-milk slurry.

Carrots go well with thyme, a herb I don't use much except with poultry.

Carrots with raspberry syrup/puree. Perhaps also with coarse grained mustard?

My favorite carrot salad, adapted from terminally perky Rachel Ray: grated carrots, orange and lemon juice, a bit of brown sugar, golden raisins. Sometimes a dash of pickled jalapeno juice if I have any around. Sometimes fresh pineapple instead of raisins.

One of my most cherished recipes, Carrot Pudding--think carrot custard/souffle, a substitute for sweet potatoes with pork or poultry, not dessert. I once volunteered to edit a cookbook because I figured I could persuade a woman to part with this recipe.

And this most elegant one in a silky sauce:

Carrots Superb (serves about 8)

2 lbs. baby carrots

1 teaspoon sugar

1/3 cup water

3 Tablespoons melted butter

1/3 cup heavy cream

2 egg yolks

Parboil carrots in boiling, salted water and shock carrots in cold water. Drain well and hold or refrigerate up to 3 days in a plastic bag or container.

Combine carrots, sugar and water in a large skillet or saucepan. Cover and heat until carrots are heated through. A little water left in the pan is OK.

Meanwhile, combine butter, cream and egg yolks. Remove pan from heat. Stir this mixture into the carrots and let stand 5 minutes covered and off the heat. Stir again and serve. :wub:

• Like 1

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Roast them a la the Roasted Cauliflower discussion.

Cut them into uniform pieces and roast them with either cumin or dill (plus salt, pepper and evoo) and you can't go wrong.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I like roasted or steamed carrots with chick peas, red onion, a bit of celery, leaves of fresh Italian parsley (I guess cilantro would be OK, too), dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, s & p, a bit of garlic powder, and a ton of cumin.

Too delicious!

• 10 years later...
On 3/6/2005 at 3:42 PM, andiesenji said:

This is my favorite original recipe:

carrots with marsala and lime marmalade

It has been posted on this site for several years.

Andie - was looking over this thread and noticed this. Thought it sounded interesting so clicked on the link. 

Looks like it no longer works. 

Any chance you could post the recipe?