• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Patrick's Day

I hope this helps.

Excellent.

We're doing our St. Paddy's day feast tonight, and I had been stuck on an additional (depending on how you count colcannon) veg. This is perfect.

Our menu will be:

Cocktails with Smoked salmon on rye with cucumber dill raita

Helen Mirren's Colcannon

Soda Bread

Guiness Glazed Root Veg

Corned Beef with Horseradish Sour Cream Sauce

Grammercy Tavern Ginger Guinness Cake

Might add a salad or soup.

Thanks!

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

...Dublin Lawyer.

A whole beautiful obster cooked in butter, creme double, irish whiskey and french mustard. Love this.

...Let me know if you want any recipe.

Yes please... sounds like an interesting variation on butter poached lobster.

For our St Patrick's Day dinner yesterday I made a Guinness, lamb and root veg stew, champ potatoes with sour cream, and warm apple cake for dessert.

this is a bit late for St: Pats but anyway:

Dublin Lawyer (serves 2)

1 big live lobster.

50 grams of butter

4 tablespoons of irish whisky

150 mililiters of creme double

1 dash of lemon juice

1 teaspoon of english mustard

salt n pepper

Boil the whole lobster shortly in lots of water.

Pick it up and put it under running cold water to cool it.

Take out the meat of the "tail" and slice it up.

cut the shells in two lengthwise. take away the intestines

and take the rest of the meat. Save the shells. Break up

the claws and remove the "grizzle". Cube the claw-meat.

Melt the butter in a big frying pan and sauté the lobster meat

shortly. The lobster meat should be cooked but shouldn't get colour.

Put the whisky in the frying pan and flambe the lobster meat.

Then stir down the cream, the lemon juice and mustard.

Season, and bring to boil for a real short time. This whole

process described above should be very fast, hence the

lobster meat doesn't become hard and stiff.

Warm the lobstershells in the oven at little heat. Pick up the lobster

meat from the sauce and fill up the shells with the meat. Let the sauce boil a bit to

get some flavour, and then pour it over the lobster. Serve imeediatley.

this is a bit late for St: Pats but anyway:

Dublin Lawyer (serves 2)

1 big live lobster

When it comes to recipe sharing it's never too late. Many thanks! :smile:

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Just ran across this and thought of this thread...

You can listen to the discussion on NPR here

The title of the story is: "Irish Cuisine, Renewed and Reshaped" by essayist Bonny Wolf.

Contrary to popular belief, Irish cooking has evolved beyond potatoes and corned beef and cabbage. Weekend Edition essayist Bonny Wolf explains what's been happening in the kitchens of Ireland's most creative chefs.

Also, the link has some recipes and mentions of cookbooks:

Tamasin Day-Lewis’ cookbook West of Ireland Summers: Recipes & Memories from an Irish Childhood (Roberts Rinehart Publishers, 1997).

In The New Irish Table (Chronicle Books, 2003), Margaret M. Johnson offers recipes that reflect the traditions of Irish cuisine reinterpreted by contemporary cooks.

Darina Allen’s Ballymaloe Seasons: Cooking from an Irish Country House (Roberts Rinehart Publishers, 1997) (mentioned above)

Recipes:

Irish Soda Bread

Boxty

Boiled Bacon with Cabbage

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 year later...

A nice article on new trends in Irish cuisine which are focusing on a return to fresh, local, seasonal and artisanal foodstuffs: click

(The article should be available on SFGate for a few weeks.)

(Today’s) creations are often based on traditional Irish dishes, such as Irish stew turned into a deeply flavored consomme to serve as a base for a roast rack of lamb, and individual shepherd's pies made terrine-style with minced lamb and topped with tiny new potatoes fresh from the garden.

Contemporary Irish cooking is not so much a style of cooking as it is classic techniques using great ingredients in a passionate, creative but simple way.

I had some of the best, freshest food I've ever had during my brief trip to Ireland. I'd return again in a heartbeat. Ireland has always had rich, natural provender, fish and shellfish, lamb, cheeses, greens and other ingredients, but they were cooked to death, in the old English style, or were exported.

That began to change about 15 years ago, when chefs, fueled with enthusiasm, and financially able, went off to cook in Europe and the United States. Instead of staying abroad, they came back home, bringing with them a new pride in Ireland and a new culinary sensibility.

Today, the Irish are celebrating their farmers, their land and their fishermen.

The article also has some recipes:

Coleslaw with Blue Brie Dressing

Steak & Oyster Pie

Scallion Champs

Irish cheeses

Baileys Pots de Creme

Sounds like a nice St. Patrick's Day Meal to me...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

nothing better than a traditional irish breakfast with that delectable black and white pudding. oh my god...it's like the irish version of soondae.

I'm in boston and I haven't had any really great ones.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 4 years later...

I've pulled out my copy Darina Allen's Irish Traditional Cooking to see what I can prepare that is special and unusual.

I've also got Simply Delicious but can't put my hands on it right now.

I also have the more recently published Forgotten Skills of Cooking

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett