• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

more to life than iceberg

Where do you get a great salad in Seattle? One which comes to the table already tossed, large enough for an entree, interesting enough to keep one's attention, yet not so full of disparate flavors that it lacks an essential backbone. I love a good Caesar but they are so often disappointing. I love a good insalata mista but they are so often insubstantial and imperfectly dressed (gee, am I describing a salad or Gwyneth Paltrow?).

Here's where I currently find my fixes:  Greek Salad at Pegasus Pizza in West Seattle; Brown Rice Salad (with delicious Lemon Tahini dressing though it is on the side) at Sunlight Cafe in Roosevelt; Insalata Mista at the Beach Cafe in West Seattle (though last time it was over-dressed).

Here's where I need to try: Madrona Eatery & Ale House (Seattle Times had a review praising their salads), Elliott's (they supposedly know their way around a Caesar), La Panzanella (their bread salad sounds so good!).

Anybody tried any of these? Where do you go to indulge in a heap of lettuce you didn't have to wash and dry yourself?

My favorite green salad in Seattle is the Botanical Salad at the 5 Spot.  It's dark leafy greens dressed with a light vinaigrette and topped with bleu cheese and candied pecans.  And it is quite big.

In general I'm not crazy about the 5 Spot's menu and gimmickry (right now they have chicken fried steak -- hullo?), but the Botanical Salad keeps me going back, especially since I *have* to be on upper Queen Anne every Monday night.

I'd love to hear others' suggestions.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Hey, I kind of like chicken fried steak when it's not smotheren in gravy.

I was going to mention the Madrona Eatery and Ale House, since I wrote that review praising the salads.  They're really quite good.

Osteria la Spiga has a salad called the bruciatina (I think I'm spelling that right, but I couldn't find it mentioned on the net), with frisee and other lettuces, crisped prosciutto, and balsamic vinaigrette.  Laurie and I split one every time we go.

At Kingfish Cafe there's a great chipotle caesar salad.  Normally I am the first to cry foul when someone monkeys with the caesar formula, but this is an excellent salad, and huge.  That salad and a plate of the peel and eat shrimp would make a perfect light meal for two.

Saigon Gourmet, in the I-district next to the bus tunnel entrance, serves a green papaya salad topped with beef jerky.  It tastes better than it sounds.

No green papaya salads served here stand up to the ones I've had in Asia, but my favorite of the Thai versions I've tried in Seattle is the one at Orrapin Noodle Experience on Queen Anne.  Ask for a dish of prik nam pla sliced chiles in fish sauce, to augment your salad.

The squid salad at Viengthong, on MLK South, is good overall and has a dressing highly conducive to soaking up with sticky rice.

I guess I've bent your formula quite a lot here.  Of the salads I've mentioned, those at Madrona and Kingfish are the traditional lettuce-based and big enough to make a meal.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Yeah, chicken fried steak at a diner for $5.50 is fine, but you know 5 Spot is selling it for something like $14.  It's smothered in gravy, and it's part of their latest cutesy theme (Route 66).

I remembered one of my favorite salads:  Thai beef salad.  So refreshing and citrusy.  When we order Thai food at work, that's usually what I get, along with an order of sticky rice.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Oh I am redfaced with shame that I didn't credit you, Mamster! I've at least gotten better about citing my sources, but I've stolen snippets of so many reviews over the past few years that I'm just waiting for someone to call me on it. Please accept my apologies. If it's any consolation, what you wrote piqued my interest in a place that would have fallen outside my radar otherwise. And that's what a well-written review is all about!

I do love Thai salads (and have enjoyed Saigon Gourmet's version of jerky/green papaya on a couple occasions), but they inspire their own cravings, apart from my craving for a "traditional" salad.

I'll have to give the Caesar at Kingfish a try. I, too, have Issues with people monkeying with the formula, but have learned to be tolerant in the face of adversity.

The Botanical at the 5 Spot sounds promising. Thanks MsRamsey, and welcome, by the way. I have a feeling I'll be seeing more of you over on the banh mi thread...

I can't say I like the 5 Spot either, but I do end up there occasionally, and next time I do I will try the botanical.

PerfectCircle, don't worry about it--there is nothing the least bit unethical about saying "The Seattle Times said the salads were good."  And it doesn't bother me.

They used to serve chicken fried steak sometimes at my college dining hall, and there was this guy I knew whose overly primped wavy blond hair looked just like the prefabricated breading on the CFS.  We used to call him "chicken-fried" behind his back.  Kids can be so cruel.

Friday night I tried the caesar from A New York Pizza Place and it was nothing special. Just store bought, mayonnaise-based dressing. Definitely go with the house salad with the house dressing.

This weekend I ordered takeout Greek Salad & pizza from Pegasus on Alki.  The salad was delicious, but overdressed on this day, or perhaps the lettuce wasn't dry before dressing, or perhaps it just doesn't travel well.  It's a good salad though otherwise, and next time, I'll ask for the dressing on the side to add when I get home.  

I agree a good salad seems hard to come by.  I have a weakness for Blackened Salmon Caesars and a good Cobb Salad, so if anyone knows of a good place to get these, please let me know.  Whenever I find myself at Salty's or The Lighthouse restaurants (both on Alki beach), I always order the Blackened Salmon Caesar.  Salty's also sells the rub, so I can duplicate somewhat at home now.  Their's is a sweet hot rub, and not overly hot.

For Cobb Salad, Mary Mac's at McCormick Woods in Port Orchard has a good one.  Kinda far to go for a salad, though, unless you're already in the neighborhood.  I had a Cobb Salad a few  months ago at Redhook brewery in Redmond/Woodinville area.  It was good, but nothing to really write home about.

Etta's Seafood has a good Spinach, Frisee, Pear and Smoked Bacon salad.

I had a pretty tasty salad yesterday at the Earth & Ocean bar:  Lobster, roasted corn, greens, roasted red and green bell peppers with a bacon vinaigrette.  It was very good and worth getting, though it lacked a certain something--a minor crunchy element, perhaps.  They were quite generous with the lobster.

I'm pretty interested in eating dinner there; Earth & Ocean's stock is definitely on the rise these days.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Wow, thanks!  Did I put it in my profile or something?

I'm trying to decide where to ask my husband to take me for a fabulous dinner.  When discussing it last week, he said "well, I liked the Herbfarm."  So I'm thinkin', hey, if you're willing to spend *that* kind of cash, the floor is pretty much open, eh?  :wink:

Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I just happened to see your birthday listed on the front page of eGullet (at the bottom of the page), so now everyone knows.  :wow:  You also got b-day wishes in the birthday thread, Click here

I hope you have a really great dinner, and that we'll get to read all the delectable mouth watering details afterwards. :biggrin:

Happy birthday from me too, MsRamsey.

Have you been to the E&O bar before, or was this your first visit?  A while back I heard about their truffled french fries and have been meaning to get down there and see what that's all about.

No, this was the first time I had ever eaten at E&O.  Those truffle oil/sea salt fries (called "Sexy Fries") have been calling my name ever since I heard about them.  Yesterday, however, wasn't the right day to try them, as I was singing in a concert last night and didn't want anything heavy.

And thanks much for the birthday wishes!  I've already scored a copy of "The Naked Chef Takes Off" today!  Really nice book.

My apologies in advance for all the OT stuff.

Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Happy birthday! Please give us the rundown of your birthday dinner :)

Truffle fries? I am soooo there. I can't believe I've been to E and O yet. Are the truffle fries a standing menu item? I have a feeling I won't get there before the fall. I have a lot of places on my list. Right now at the top are: Seastar in Bellevue, the new Malay Satay Hut in Redmond (ugh, I've been trying...) and, of course, Banh Mi 88 :)

Maybe I should start a new thread asking what's on everyone else's dining list right now (besides Salumi!)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 2 weeks later...

Just read The Stranger's review of Agua Verde. Reminded me that it would be a great destination for a salad break - lots of flavors to mix, inexpensive, festive, and on the water. Unfortunately, I'm downtown - and the Market, with all that produce isn't so great for salads...

Hmmm, my coworkers and I are going to Agua Verde tomorrow after work for dinner.  Too bad that review just came out . . . it'll be jammed!  We're going earlyish, though.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 2 months later...

Judy and I had lunch at the Blue Onion Bistro last week. I ordered the Blue Salad: greens, blue cheese, smoked chicken, sliced apples; I think some cucumber also, and perhaps onion. It was very delicious on a hot day, accompanied by the tallest glass of lemonade I've ever had in my life. The flavors of the salad blended nicely, and it definitely kept my interest.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

A group of 8 of us went to Blue Onion on Friday night (are you listening, papachef??). We had a great time. The food was excellent ("upscale American," they call it) and beautifully presented. The place is filled with lots of kooky, nutty stuff to look at. I kept wondering if Scott wanted the 1940's parking meter that my husband dragged home from the antique store.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

one of the best salads I've ever had was at the Herbfarm. It was one of the courses, and it was only greens, nothing else, lightly dressed, and every single leaf tasted different. It was amazing.

That being said, its been ages since I've had a really good Cobb. Who makes one?! I adore them.

MsRamsey, think about the Herbfarm for your special night out ;-) its a lovely dining experience.

Born Free, Now Expensive

That being said, its been ages since I've had a really good Cobb. Who makes one?! I adore them.

I enjoyed the Cobb salad at the Dahlia Lounge some months back.

And while looking at this menu, I noticed the doughnuts listed with honey tangerine jam. I had them with strawberry jam, and Judy's had them with rhubarb. So delightfully delicious. A Cobb salad and Dahlia doughnuts for dessert would make a lunch to remember.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

A Cobb salad and Dahlia doughnuts for dessert would make a lunch to remember.

oh, that could work for me in a large way. I've been aching to sample the doughnuts there...

*sob* I actually had a 'free birthday dessert' card from Tom Douglas that I didn't use during my birthday month :-( maybe I shouldn't mention that here on egullet I might get ejected from the club...

Born Free, Now Expensive

A Cobb salad and Dahlia doughnuts for dessert would make a lunch to remember.

oh, that could work for me in a large way. I've been aching to sample the doughnuts there...

*sob* I actually had a 'free birthday dessert' card from Tom Douglas that I didn't use during my birthday month :-( maybe I shouldn't mention that here on egullet I might get ejected from the club...

I've noticed that Tom Douglas doesn't keep his online menus up to date. He's had the same Dahlia menu online since way before April, as when I went then, the menu was already out of date. No cobb salad, no steak sandwich on the menu when I went. :sad: If you have your heart set on a cobb salad, I'd call first. The bacon Tom uses at Dahlia is fantastic, so if he would put the Cobb back on the menu I know it would be fabulous.