• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reading Terminal Market (Part 1)

Walked over to the Fairmount & 22nd market today. While pickings were slim, Earl Livengood had a raft of different lettuces, plus those beautiful collard leaves and beautiful asparagus. Since I am still fairly well stocked on lettuces, I limited myself to a bunch of fresh (yes, fresh) garlic. Also at the market was another returnee, Sam Stolfus. Although I don't care for his baked goods, his spring veggies are excellent. From him I purchased a bunch of fresh mint and the first spring radishes I've seen.

Nicky Uy of The Food Trust, which sponsors this as well as the 12th & St. James Market (Tuesdays, 2-6 p.m.) and is also sponsoring the Headhouse Square market which opens in July, says in future weeks there will be additional vendors at Fairmount. [...]

Don't stop there, Bob.

The Food Trust sponsors 25 farmers' markets throughout the Greater Philadelphia region, including markets in Kensington, Germantown, Norristown, Phoenixville, and at Sixth and Edgmont/Avenue of the States, about 20 minutes' walk from where I work in Chester.

They also sponsor a financing program to bring supermarkets to low-income communities. (More about the Supermarket Campaign)

For their efforts to bring farm fresh local produce and reasonably priced food to all Philadelphians, they deserve our support.

Pity I don't get back in town in time to visit the 12th and St. James market, right outside my front door. The same farm sets up shop at Fitler Square on Saturdays, though.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 3 weeks later...

Got back to the RTM today after a three week hiatus, mostly spent in Wisconsin. (Here's a report of my beer and brat haul.)

We left town as the early local strawberries were starting to come in, and returned just in time for the tail end of the season. As we neared home this past Tuesday, we made our last rest stop of the trip at the Pa. Pike's Allentown service plaza where one vendor was selling delicious berries as well as sugar snaps and lots of other stuff. (Only one vendor is there weekdays; additional vendors sell their produce on weekends when highway traffic is busier.)

On Thursday afternoon I visited my neighborhood farmers' market at 22nd & South where I picked up spinach and a couple of greenhouse tomatoes from Earl Livengood; radishes and eggs from a new vendor whose name I didn't get; and a baguette from Baker Street.

Back to the RTM . . .

Everyday Gourmet, in the former location of Andros, getting closer to opening. The new take-away vendor is shooting for a June 19 opening.

No word yet on an occupant for Foster's, which will be shutting down its RTM operation by the end of the month and opening at it's new consolidated store at 4th & Market about mid-July. As it is, stock is pretty thin as Foster's winds down.

Someone named Chef Harry (Harry Schwartz) will be at the RTM Wednesday, June 13,11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. He's a PBS chef touring the country in his "Watermelon Bus" to promote awareness of childhood obesity. He'll be making watermelon salsa at center court. Other events coming up: Ice Cream Festival July 28, Pennsylvania Dutch Festival Aug. 9-11.

The RTM Corporation board has once again extended the Sunday "experiment" through Sept. 30. Apparently it's beyond their ken to just acknowledge that Sundays have been a measurable success and make it permanent.

According to RTM Manager Paul Steinke's monthly merchant newsletter, Sundays are the fourth busiest day of the week, which is quite an achievement considering center city offices are closed and about half the merchants don't open. However, there will be added competition for the summer, beginning July 1, when the Food Trust opens a Sunday farmers market at Headhouse Square.

Here are the RTM's average hourly counts:

1,570 weekly average

2,203 Saturday

1.799 Friday

1.528 Thursday

1.498 Sunday

1,477 Wednesday

1.308 Tuesday

1,183 Monday

Now, onto the food...

Over at John Yi "Copper River Salmon" was selling at $14.99 vs. $10.99 for non-geographically identified king salmon. At that price, it's got to be sockeye, not king. Fitting to its alternate name of "red" samon, the sockeye was a beautiful deep red color.

Over at Iovine the price of limes has retreated a bit since I last visited -- five for a buck (four for a buck at OK Lee). Hass avocadoes were $1.49 each, vs. 99-cents at OKL. Also at Iovine, Atulful mangoes a dollar apiece. Strawberries from Iovines contract grower in Bucks County, Shady Brook, were $1.99/pint. Benuel Kaufman was selling his for $5.99/quart, while Earl Livengood's organic berries were $6.25/quart. Benuel also had beautiful kirby cucumbers, ideal for pickling.

New at Lancaster County Dairy is heavy cream in glass bottles from Trickling Springs Creamery. The cream (not ultra-pasterized, thank heavens) is $3.25 plus a $2 deposit on the shapely bottle.

This week's shopping list:

IOVINE BROTHERS ($3.68)

Bananas

Vidalia onion

Dill

Garlic

FAIR FOOD PROJECT ($14.38)

Ham

Sugar snap peas

EARL LIVENGOOD ($6.25)

Strawberries

KAUFFMAN'S LANCASTER COUNTY PRODUCE ($2.74)

Cucumbers

LANCASTER COUNTY DAIRY ($5.25)

Cream

HERSHEL'S EAST SIDE DELI ($4.35)

Lox

HARRY OCHS ($9.90)

Bacon

Turkey bacon

SALUMERIA ($4.71)

Olives

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Local cherries made their seasonal debut Saturday at Earl Livengood, who offered both pie and sweet cherries. Benuel Kaufman also offered sweet cherries. The pie cherries were small, but nicely tart. Today I'm turning a mix of the two types into sorbet. Earl also had had red raspberries this past week.

Salad season has begun, and both Livengood and Fair Food Project are selling beautiful heads of lettuce. If a starchier salad is your thing, go for Livengood's fresh dug new potatoes. This week I added sliced French radishes and Vidalia onion to the potatoes and tossed with a mayo-vinegar-sugar-pepper-mustard dressing.

If you want fresh local goat cheese, the only place to acquire it at the RTM is the Fair Food Project. Neither Downtown Cheese nor Salumeria sell any goat cheese that's remotely local: most of their offerings come from France or California.

Over at Iovine Brothers Produce the California stone fruits have arrived: peaches, nectarines, apricots. If you're making a fruit salsa or chutney, the under-ripe California fruit works just fine; but for eating out of hand, I'll wait another month or so for our local produce. OK Lee displayed mammoth artichokes priced at three for a buck.

Over at Lancaster County Dairy that Trickling Springs Creamery heavy cream in glass bottles I kvelled about last week is now joined by whole and 2 percent milk in glass, as well as cultured buttermik. The whole and 2 percent sell for $2.25, plus $2 bottle deposit. The heavy cream and half-and-half is also available in conventional containers.

Everyday Gourmet Market figures to open Monday, June 18. It's located in the space formerly occupied by Andros and is similar in concept: Variety of dishes to take home to reheat and eat. Their brochure lists a six-week rotating menu, with each week featuring four different entrees (a red meat, a poultry, a fish and usually, but not always, a vegetarian offering), as well as a regular roster of sandwiches, salads, soups, and casseroles. As an example, this week's entrees are Expresso Rubbed Flank Steak, Turkey Meatloaf with Spicy Ketchup, Baked Tilapia with Balsamic Cucumbers, and BBQ Chicken with Firecracker Stuffing. Most of the dinners-to-go, priced at $9.50 ($7.75 for vegetarian fare, like the Stuffed Portobello or the Polenta and Roasted Vegetable Napolean to be offered in future weeks) includes a starch and vegetable. The website is www.everydaygurmetmarket.com, but as of this writing nothing was posted there.

Thursday afternoon I stopped by the Fairmount & 22nd Street Market, where Earl Livengood was joined by three or four other vendors, including Griggstown Quail Farm. Today I'll be cooking the two poussin I purchased Thursday. We have already, however, consumed, Griggstown's cherry pie: delicious. We enjoyed four small cuts from one $5.50 pie.

On this week's menu:

Poussin served with potato salad, asparagus.

Cherry sorbet

Composed salad of roasted beets, goat cheese, walnuts with raspberry vinaigrette.

Green salad with leftover meats, cheese.

Herring salad.

Bratwurst and kraut

Here's my RTM shopping list for the Saturday:

EARL LIVENGOOD ($27.35)

Lettuce

Asparagus

Strawberries

Pie cherries

Sweet cherries

IOVINE BROTHERS PRODUCE ($5.60)

Bananas

Garlic

Lemon

Walnuts

FAIR FOOD PROJECT ($7.50)

Goat cheese

HARRY OCHS ($4.95)

Turkey bacon

DOWN HOME CHEESE ($3.99)

Pumpernickel, party-sized

OLD CITY COFFEE ($6.90)

Coffee

HERSHEL'S EAST SIDE DELI ($4.73)

Lox

Robert's Market Report

Just got back from RTM for the week's produce shopping. Found lots of great stuff in the $1/bag sections of Iovine's and OK Lee. Whole canteloupes, 2 small flats of blackberries, big bag of cucumbers, bags of cherries, and three large early Beefsteak tomatos all were $1 at OK Lee. Found two large eggplant and a bag of parsnips at Iovine's.

There will be hummous, tzatziki, and parsnip soup for dinner at my house this week.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just got back from RTM for the week's produce shopping.  Found lots of great stuff in the $1/bag sections of Iovine's and OK Lee.  Whole canteloupes, 2 small flats of blackberries, big bag of cucumbers, bags of cherries, and three large early Beefsteak tomatos all were $1 at OK Lee.

Must have been there at about the same time - I was there shopping with my SO from 3 to 4 yesterday. We were thrilled with the $1 flats of strawberries and blackberries at OK Lee for this week's fruit salad; easily spent half last week's total from the supermarket. The cherries (picked up the firmest bag, but...) were less than stellar, but even having to toss 1/3, it was a fantastic deal.

The pineapple ($3) was excellent, as were the mangoes (both varieties) - despite being picked-over for most of the ones with reddish skin.

Of course, going to RTM to save money on produce is fruitless (no pun intended), since the savings are neatly applied to provisions for the hungry shoppers from Hershel's (pastrami reuben), Dinic's (pulled pork with sautéed spinach and sharp provolone), and Bassett's Ice Cream ('Gadzooks' gives Ben & Jerry's a run for their money).

If only Lexington Market were as awesome.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

you guys haven't mentioned that the farmstand now has fresh chickens available! i think they're from green meadow farm. we got one of the 3-pounders this week, and lemme tell ya boneless (but not skinless) chicken breasts ARE good and not too boring, if you cook them right (basically follow the steak recipe vadouvan posted around here somewhere--long time, butter, low heat). the rest of the chicken is in buttermilk getting ready to be fried tonight.

anyway they're $3.25 a pound for a whole bird which, you know, sure it's expensive, but it isn't the $12.99 they're charging for the skinless/boneless breasts. and it's really good chicken.

hm... i wonder what they're doing with the carcasses of all those birds they're cutting up for the breasts.

edited to add: and the giblets. why do none of these birds come with giblets? that little fried chicken liver has been my treat for years now since no one else in the house likes them, and now i don't have it.... so sad.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Actually, that's been bothering us for some time now. We get all our whole chickens from either Fair Food or Winter Harvest/Farm to City, or at the Farmer's markets. All local chickens.

And, not a one has the innards still in them! I love the liver too! Sam usually cooks it up while the smells of the chicken cooking are tormenting us.

To all you local chicken farmers out there!

Let us have our innards!

I protest!

:biggrin:

Philly Francophiles

Expresso?

What's that?

An acceptable variant spelling of 'espresso', according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. Did you really not know what he meant, though?

Oh, I knew what he meant. What I didn't know was that "expresso" was a correct spelling.

Having recently moved to Chinatown, I'm finding RTM to be a wonderful place to pick up lunch nearly every day. I have to admit that my first few trips before I lived in the area I was a bit turned off by what seemed like a "dirty" market. Now I realize I was just so used to the sanitized/corporate supermarkets that are far dirtier in ways we can't see.

Anyway, I now find myself stopping at Iovine's almost daily for fruit salad and checking out their fresh produce. This thread has taught me so much about the market, but I find myself getting into a rut, and I'm having a hell of a time finding the fruits and melons that are at their prime. For instance, the precut fruit salad will range from magical (especially the watermelon) to nearly inedibly bland and/or mushy. Two weeks ago I picked up peaches that were almost as crunchy as apples. I think I just failed to let them ripen, but still, I'm struggling.

On the other hand, yesterday's strawberries were some of the best I've ever had and they were only $1 a crate. So while I'm normally thinking that "you get what you pay for" they proved me wrong there.

Can anyone offer some suggestions for wading through the volume of stuff they have there? Maybe some ideas for trying something new (that's easy to deal with at work since that's where I eat most of my meals). I'm trying to diet and the accessibility of fresh fruit is what's helping me the most. But I'm finding that while nothing is better than fresh, good fruit, nothing's worse than improperly selected fruit.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've got lots of other RTM questions that somehow linger after hours spent on this thread. But I think this is enough for my first post.

Can anyone offer some suggestions for wading through the volume of stuff they have there? Maybe some ideas for trying something new (that's easy to deal with at work since that's where I eat most of my meals). I'm trying to diet and the accessibility of fresh fruit is what's helping me the most. But I'm finding that while nothing is better than fresh, good fruit, nothing's worse than improperly selected fruit.

If I'm understanding your question correctly -- you're having problems picking out the right fruit? Try Aliza Green's Field Guide to Produce (might be available at the cookbook stall at RTM; you can definitely find it on Amazon)... also try following the seasonality rule -- buy what's actually in season (not imported from Chile) as much as possible and generally the produce will be better. For example, if you stop by Fair Food (only open Wed-Sat or Thurs-Sat) or Livengood's and they don't have peaches available, peaches probably aren't in season and the ones you get at Iovine's may not be great.

There's also the standard smell test for lots of fruit -- the best strawberries I've gotten this year have had this intense, heady perfumey strawberry smell -- you just KNOW those are going to be good. Peaches, pears, plums -- most stone fruit, if ripe, should smell good... and when buying berries I try to just find the plumpest, largest berries in the right months (strawberries right now, raspberries and blueberries later this summer).

For precut fruit, if the watermelon is deep red and doesn't look mushy, it should be fine, although I don't think watermelons really peak until August. Yellow watermelon has been great this year, though, if you have time to buy melons and cut them up yourself at home.

Other healthy dining options -- since you're in Chinatown, pho is relatively good for you...

. . . I'm having a hell of a time finding the fruits and melons that are at their prime. For instance, the precut fruit salad will range from magical (especially the watermelon) to nearly inedibly bland and/or mushy. Two weeks ago I picked up peaches that were almost as crunchy as apples. . . .

On the other hand, yesterday's strawberries were some of the best I've ever had and they were only $1 a crate. . . .

Can anyone offer some suggestions for wading through the volume of stuff they have there? Maybe some ideas for trying something new (that's easy to deal with at work since that's where I eat most of my meals).

There are always exceptions, especially in this age of speedy transportation, but it's hard to go wrong when you stay seasonal and local. Melons are always tough to call, but their season is still more than a month away locally. I placed one of those peaches in my hand and decided it would have been better to use as a weapon than a food. Those strawberries, however, are one of the exceptions that prove the rule. They were from California, but because they've got to compete with local berries right now, Iovine's can get a good price from their broker. And the industry has learned how to ship ripe (or nearly ripe) strawberries. (California cherries are in abundance now, but the local cherries have started to show up (barely); in another week or two they'll be in full glory. After that will come a profusion of local produce: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, apricots, peaches, etc.

I agree that Iovine's fruit salad is a hit-or-miss proposition, especially the melons. Yet, I had some a month ago where, while the canteloupes were quarried rather than harvested, the honeydews were juicy and sweet. Go figure!

Don't hesitate to ask the staff at Iovine's how to use/eat a particular unfamiliar fruit or veggie. That's one way to expand your eating routine.

Keep on enjoying the RTM. And experiment, experiment, experiment.

Robert's Market Report

Having recently moved to Chinatown, I'm finding RTM to be a wonderful place to pick up lunch nearly every day. I have to admit that my first few trips before I lived in the area I was a bit turned off by what seemed like a "dirty" market. Now I realize I was just so used to the sanitized/corporate supermarkets that are far dirtier in ways we can't see.

Yeah, you really don't want to go through those double doors that separate the stockroom and prep areas from the selling space.

To use the bathrooms at the 10th and South Super Fresh, though, you have to. (Edited to add: And regardless which side of those doors the bathrooms are on, it's been my experience that supermarket restrooms at chains other than Whole Foods are only marginally better maintained than SEPTA station restrooms. The RTM's restrooms, by contrast, are in far better condition than all of the foregoing.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

(California cherries are in abundance now, but the local cherries have started to show up (barely)

I was shocked to find some absolutely wonderful Rainier cherries at the 9th St. market this weekend. Produce there is so often... iffy; but these were perfectly ripe and firm, and only $1.50/pound, which is just ridiculous.

I'm hoping that Livengood's will have some pie cherries at the farmers' market today, though.

Anyway, I now find myself stopping at Iovine's almost daily for fruit salad and checking out their fresh produce. This thread has taught me so much about the market, but I find myself getting into a rut, and I'm having a hell of a time finding the fruits and melons that are at their prime. For instance, the precut fruit salad will range from magical (especially the watermelon) to nearly inedibly bland and/or mushy. Two weeks ago I picked up peaches that were almost as crunchy as apples. I think I just failed to let them ripen, but still, I'm struggling.

On the other hand, yesterday's strawberries were some of the best I've ever had and they were only $1 a crate. So while I'm normally thinking that "you get what you pay for" they proved me wrong there.

Can anyone offer some suggestions for wading through the volume of stuff they have there?

Ron, first, welcome to eGullet!

Someone has already pointed out the fact that peaches are not yet in season. Becoming familiar with the local growing season helps. In general, it is best to avoid buying fruit that isn't in season even when it's shipped from afar. (There are exceptions; apples store well and farmers plan accordingly, though a crisp apple in October is superior to a stored one in June.) Vegetables are a somewhat different story and we on the East Coast benefit not only from the hearty greens that nearby farms manage to grow in tunnels during cold months, but from durable goods that travel well. Nonetheless, I'd grab local asparagus picked 50 miles away less than 24 hours ago in early May and shun asparagus flown in for Christmas.

Becoming familiar with seasons helps. I just tried searching online and the first good reference I found is not a perfect match since it's from Tennessee. Nonetheless, the list seems useful: Local Growing Season for Produce.

As you rely more on the RTM or farmers markets, you'll become more aware of variables that include weather. For example, this year orchards in North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and other parts of the South suffered dramatically after an early warm spell and subsequent freeze. As a result, peaches will be scarce this year. However, at least one local farmer (West Virginia) says he managed to save his peach trees, so you might be lucky once the season begins in July.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'll take all these tips into consideration. I think half the battle with the produce is figuring out what they're selling to be eaten that day, and what's best to ripen at home for a few days.

As for the rest of the market, it seems pretty easy to find old standbys (I notice Bob seems to hit up a lot of the same places each week) but even after 20 or 30 trips I'll walk in a different door than normal and it's like a whole new place. Last Friday I walked past a case of cold cuts at Dutch Country Meats and couldn't resist. Not something I'd go out of my way for, but just a nice surprise and turned into a nice lunch of roast pork and sharp american cheese.

So many times I would walk into the supermarket and walk the same route, buy the same ingredients and be on my way. At the RTM I feel like I've got an open pallette and can just go with whatever I'm drawn to. One question I've had though is how the quality of the seafood stacks up. That's the one area I've yet to hit up, but considering I've been on a hell of a seafood kick (Little Fish got that going) it seems crazy. I just don't trust myself when it comes to knowing what to look for. I know the basics (no 'fish' smell, clear eyes, no give to the touch) but I'd be far more comfortable with a fish monger offering his/her suggestions. Anyone want to recommend one of the merchants ahead of the others with that in mind? Any tips to keep in mind?

Thanks again. It's funny how nice it is to finally start posting after months of lurking and reading. Hoping to get past all the questions and start contributing soon!

One question I've had though is how the quality of the seafood stacks up. That's the one area I've yet to hit up, but considering I've been on a hell of a seafood kick . . . . I just don't trust myself when it comes to knowing what to look for. I know the basics (no 'fish' smell, clear eyes, no give to the touch) but I'd be far more comfortable with a fish monger offering his/her suggestions. Anyone want to recommend one of the merchants ahead of the others with that in mind? Any tips to keep in mind?

You can get a decent fish at any of the three purveyors, but John Yi at center court is the most reliable, probably due to the higher volume. With the other vendors you have to be considerably more careful in your selection. I don't find any of the fish mongers, however, outgoing in terms of offering suggestions. Maybe it's more language/cultural barriers than anything else. Too bad, because I'm sure they have a lot to offer. So I'd suggest you continue to rely on the basics.

The three vendors do vary slightly in what they carry. For example, I've only seen skate at Wan's. And until last year, only Golden handled untreated ("dry") scallops; now Yi sells them, too. As a general rule, Yi's selection is broader with greater turnover. You might also want to consider frequenting some of the fishmongers in Chinatown. They've got items (razor clams is one example that comes to mind, but there are lots others) you won't find anywhere else, and I don't have any qualms with the storage quality and turnover of most of the merchants I've visited there.

And keep those questions coming, Ron -- they generate interesting discussions. And let me join Pontormo in welcoming you!

Robert's Market Report

I restrained myself this week from going overboard in buying fruit at the RTM. All I purchased was a quart of pie cherries, a pint each of sweet red and sweet Rainier cherries, a pint of blueberries, bananas and limes. That should hold me 'til Tuesday afternoon's farmers market at South & Passyunk. (BTW, last week's cherries went into a delicious sorbet; this week they're bound for a cobbler.)

Fair Food featured sweet red Summit cherries and yellow/red Rainiers for $4.50 and $4.75 a pint, respectively. Over at Benuel Kaufman's the reds and Queen Annes were $3.95, pie cherries $2.95 per pint, strawberries $5.95/quart. (Ben's black raspberries were gone by 10:30 a.m.) Earl Livengood's pints were priced at $2.95 for sours and $3.75 for sweet reds. Blueberries were $4.50/pint, red raspberries $3.95, strawberries $3.75. L. Halteman's sweet cherries sold for $3.19 while strawberries were $4.39/quart.

Benuel Kaufman also had the elongated red beets I love. I find them even sweeter than the most round beets. And Earl Livengood featured Lancaster County corn; seems early by a couple of weeks to me, but I couldn't resist.

Time for lime sorbet, margaritas or limeade. Iovine has nice, heavy juicy limes for a dime apiece; lemons are still a relatively pricey 25 cents. Hass avocados $1.49 each. Deals can be had on eggplant (two pounds for a buck) and kirby cucumbers ($1 a pound).

Copper River sockeye still available at John Yi at $12.95; Alaskan king for $17.99.

Here's my abbreviated shopping list for today:

IOVINE BROTHERS PRODUCE ($2.47)

Bananas

Limes

Lemon

Juice oranges

EARL LIVENGOOD ($19.20)

Sour cherries

Sweet red cherries

Blueberries

Lettuce

Corn

BENUEL KAUFMAN ($6.90)

Beets

Queen Anne cherries

GIUNTA'S PRIME SHOP ($13.82)

Hanger steak

Robert's Market Report

And Earl Livengood featured Lancaster County corn; seems early by a couple of weeks to me, but I couldn't resist.

We were at out local farm market yesterday, Funk's Farm Market, and indeed the corn is here. Their goal is to have it by the Fourth of July so your timing guess makes sense.

It is started in plastic tunnels to get it ready this soon. They also now have early tomatoes. We went to Washington Boro, were Lancaster County's best tomatoes come from and found a few. They are, of course, started under plastic as well, but they were good and ripe with nice flavor.

Also got some wonderful black raspberries. Season is short for the black raspberries and they were perfect.

I also just finished my breakfast of half a honeydew melon I go at Funks. This was not a local product, melon season is not yet here, but is was the best honeydew I have ever had. Not sure of the origin of this gem, but it was great.

Are "Pie Cherries" sour cherries?

Yes! But get them this week. The season is very, very short. I intend to visit the South & Passyunk market this afternoon and obtain more from either Livengood's or Rineer's. (This past Saturday's batch went into a cobbler. The previous week's take became sorbet. I'm not a good pie-maker, you see.)

Robert's Market Report

Oh, we bought two pints at Livingood's today, of those sour cherries.

Can we eat them as snacks, or do we have to make things with them?

As James says, you can certainly eat them out-of-hand. But they don't call them sour cherries because they're sweet.

The flavor, however, is essence of cherry. And they are best cooked in some fashion, almost always with sugar. (I don't think cherries take to honey: the latter's flavor gets in the way. Good ol' plain refined white sugar sweetens without flavoring.) The hardest part is pitting them, but a cherry-pitter (which can also be used on olives) makes the process, if still tedious, at least tolerable.

Once you've pitted them, the rest can be easy:

Cold Cherry Soup. Stew them with sugar and a little water. Cool. Here's an exception to my flavor rule: a barely perceptible hint of cinnamon works well. After chilling, top with a dollop of sour cream. Or near the end of cooking, temper sour cream mixed with a bit of flour into the soup, mix into the warm soup, then let chill. (Plenty of recipes for this on the web; it's a Hungarian style cold soup.)

Sauce.. Stew with sugar and water, then chill and use as a topping ice cream. Or use room-temperature sauce over angel food cake or pound cake, adding freshly whipped cream.

Cherries Jubilee. Stew them with sugar and water. While still quite warm, add brandy. Flame. Pour over vanilla ice cream.

Cobbler.

Sorbet.

Cherry Pie. Two pints (four cups) would be a bit skimpy for a nine-inch pie. Five or six cups would be better.

Robert's Market Report