• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reading Terminal Market (Part 1)

Reading Terminal Market will have a TV in Center Court for Sunday's 1 p.m. Eagles-Tampa game. No huge screen, but at 32-inches it will be enough to keep tabs on the action while shopping.

I believe you pondered the idea of having the Beer Garden open during Eagles games, and now that I think about it, is there really any downside to that? I'm not talking about them having the legal stuff such as proper licensing or any of that, I'm just saying image if they DID open the Beer Garden. It would be like going to a bar whose menu included everything from the Terminal. That's kind of insane now that I think about it. There's some serious potential there. They could just clear out a little more space then usual, get some microbrews on tap (my apologies if they already have local microbrews on tap, I haven't been there recently,) and get that projection screen in there. Could you imagine sitting at a table with a few friends and just being like "I'll be back in a minute. I'm going to grab a roast pork from Dinic's real fast." My head is starting to spin. Does this make too much sense? Would there be a more unique experience ANYWHERE then watching the Birds and drinking good beer with access to everything the Market has to offer?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I'm sure the Beer Garden probably doesn't have a Sunday liquor sales license, so as good as your idea might be, they can't possibly do it without some investment and legal wrangling. Not to mention that the Market may not want to turn itself into a giant sports bar.

Great idea. Too many issues.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm sure the Beer Garden probably doesn't have a Sunday liquor sales license, so as good as your idea might be, they can't possibly do it without some investment and legal wrangling.  Not to mention that the Market may not want to turn itself into a giant sports bar.

Great idea.  Too many issues.

Unlike some other good ideas I've seen floated on Phillyblog, though, the issues in this one are resolvable.

Except for the one of whether the sports-bar function can peaceably coexist with the food-market function. Or whether we even want to see if they can. (Though this could be considered a dry run of sorts.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Reading Terminal Market will have a TV in Center Court for Sunday's 1 p.m. Eagles-Tampa game. No huge screen, but at 32-inches it will be enough to keep tabs on the action while shopping.

I believe you pondered the idea of having the Beer Garden open during Eagles games, and now that I think about it, is there really any downside to that? I'm not talking about them having the legal stuff such as proper licensing or any of that, I'm just saying image if they DID open the Beer Garden. It would be like going to a bar whose menu included everything from the Terminal. That's kind of insane now that I think about it. There's some serious potential there. They could just clear out a little more space then usual, get some microbrews on tap (my apologies if they already have local microbrews on tap, I haven't been there recently,) and get that projection screen in there. Could you imagine sitting at a table with a few friends and just being like "I'll be back in a minute. I'm going to grab a roast pork from Dinic's real fast." My head is starting to spin. Does this make too much sense? Would there be a more unique experience ANYWHERE then watching the Birds and drinking good beer with access to everything the Market has to offer?

Oh, that's *brilliant*!!! Just as lovely an idea during baseball games! Why shuld there be any legal issues? Aren't they already a legal purveyor of beer?

My fantsy could certainly include the DiNic's pulled pork sandwich with greens, but definitely includes the run for a plate of raw oysters!

We need a *drooling* emoticon here!

gallery_7493_1206_282552.jpg

Lots of good stuff at Livengood's today, including saffron. Mrs. Livengood (above) even brought in saffron flowers (a variety of crocus). She suggested adding a thread or two to a pot of potatoes just a minute or so before they are done boiling to give them a lovely color and hint of saffron flavor. Livengood's still had a few raspberries; Earl said he was surprised the frost didn't get them, but it was a light frost. They are delicious. In addition to the berries, I picked up some exceedingly fresh celery and what I assume is about the last of the season's tomatoes. Lots of good fall veggies at Livengood's, along with green and concord grapes.

Stopped to look over Giunta's Natural & Prime Meats, which just opened this week. Impressive looking meats, reasonably priced. The chickens are Bell & Evans, an excellent quality bird (the same brand sold at Whole Foods under their own name). The beef and pork comes from a producer in Oskaloosa, Iowa, Vande Rose Farms. The producer also does hams; this week Giunta's only had spiral cuts, but I'll be on the lookout for steaks. Vande Rose's materials say they raise Duroc hots, "a 175-year-old pure breed known for its juicy and flavorful meat", and hereford beef.

Construction has started on Hershel's deli in the former Spataro's space. No sign of a start yet on the new stall for Le Bus.

At least a couple more vendors will be joining the Sunday opening program, including Tommy DiNic's. So, while you may not be able to buy a beer while watching the Eagles game at center court, at least you can get your sammie. Last week the only sandwich places open were Salumeria and Bassett's Turkey. The latter had very large lines last Sunday. Vinnie Iovine said that while last Sunday was slower than any other day of the week, it was still well worth opening. This week will be a fairer test: no big convention, no event like the Harvest Festival, and competition from the Eagles. Here's how Bassett's Turkey looked last Sunday:

gallery_7493_1206_344569.jpg

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Except for the one of whether the sports-bar function can peaceably coexist with the food-market function. Or whether we even want to see if they can.

This is more what I was driving at. I know I wouldn't want to have to run through a gauntlet of screaming Eagles fans at the supermarket, so I can't imagine that others who are even less sports enthusiasts than I am would want to contend with that while peacefully attempting to do their Sunday marketing. It's just a bad idea. There are plenty of sports bars with decent menus where one can order almost anything they want while cheering on the Iggles or whomever. The Reading Terminal Market, other than in a fantasy world, does not belong on that list.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh, that's *brilliant*!!!  Just as lovely an idea during baseball games!  Why shuld there be any legal issues?  Aren't they already a legal purveyor of beer? 

do they sell food at beer garden? gotta make 30% of your profits from food to have a sunday license, don't you?

i've never gotten anything to eat there.

There are plenty of sports bars with decent menus where one can order almost anything they want while cheering on the Iggles or whomever.  The Reading Terminal Market, other than in a fantasy world, does not belong on that list.

Come to think of it, one of those sports bars is right down the block from the RTM: Champions, in the Philadelphia Marriott Hotel.

Independence Brewpub is, to me, a better sports bar, with better TVs, much better food and very very good beers from brewer Tim Roberts. And its across Filbert St from the Market!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Independence Brewpub is, to me, a better sports bar, with better TVs, much better food and very very good beers from brewer Tim Roberts.  And its across Filbert St from the Market!

No argument from me regarding the beer! Much better at Independence. (In fact, it's no contest.) As for the food, it's good pub grub at Independence, but suggesting (as your comments do) that it's better than a Tommy DiNic's roast pork sandwich is itchin' for a fight, Rich.

Robert's Market Report

Independence Brewpub is, to me, a better sports bar, with better TVs, much better food and very very good beers from brewer Tim Roberts.  And its across Filbert St from the Market!

No argument from me regarding the beer! Much better at Independence. (In fact, it's no contest.) As for the food, it's good pub grub at Independence, but suggesting (as your comments do) that it's better than a Tommy DiNic's roast pork sandwich is itchin' for a fight, Rich.

No, Bob, not my intent. Indpendence's food is superior to the food at the Marriott, is what I meant.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Green Valley Dairy has added what is, to my taste, an unusual but excellent cheese. It has no name yet, but it's a cheese that tastes like a blue (very similar to flavor to Stilton), but is firm with no visible veining. Cheesemaker John Lohac says that no matter what he does, the one particular cave in which he places this cheese produces mold that creates this flavor. A most wonderful little cheese.

Down Home Diner has added a full roster of soups now that the cooler weather has arrived. Six soups were on the menu this Saturday: seafood gumbo, tomato bisque, chicken noodle, potato leek, black eye pea, and beef-barley. The signboard says they are all homemade.

Also a sure sign that summer (and gin and tonic season) is over: the price of limes and lemons both 10 for a buck at Iovine Brothers. And yellow and orange bell peppers also a bargain at 99-cents a pound, same price as green peppers; reds were $2.99. Seedless cucumbers also a relative bargain, two for a buck. California seedless grapes a good deal: two-pound clamshell for $1.49.

Not too much sign of visible construction at Hershel's East Side Deli yet. Spataro's seems to be settled in nicely at their new location. Flying Monkey added an attractive awning a couple of weeks ago, brightening the look of center court.

I wanted to try a ham steak from Giunta's Prime Shop, but so far they only have the spiral cut hams. So, instead I picked up a ham steak at Harry Ochs for the first time. An excellent slice of ham, better than any other I've purchased at the RTM since Moyers left, and, indeed, it at least matched Moyers in flavor and texture. Price was $6.99/pound, iirc, but well worth the premium.

Giunta's does have a nice selection of fowl, including Eberly's chickens. The ducks are on my radar for purchase later this fall.

What was missing from the produce vendors, imho, are baking apples. Sure, there are varieties available that can be baked in pies, cobblers or by themselves with success (the Jonathons, Winesaps and Romes come to mind), but it would be nice to see some traditional tart baking apples available, like Rhode Island Greenings, Northern Spy, or one of the sweeter Pippins.

Dedication of the restored neon sign set for Thursday, Nov. 9, 4 p.m. at the corner of 12th and Harry Ochs Way (Filbert Street). It used to hang on the RTM Headhouse at the corner of 12th and Market. Philadelphia architect Robert Venturi will be keynote speaker.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Robert's Market Report

I'm thinking of buying turkey parts instead of a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, as (a) I'm only having four guests and (b) we are also having steak (family tradition). Where's the best place to buy parts -- Giunta's?

Actually, speaking of turkeys, my old standby, AA Haltemans no longer exists. Who does everybody else purchase their whole turkeys from? I'll probably buy from Godshall's this year, but I just wanted to double check with you guys. My family likes organic free range fresh birds.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Actually, speaking of turkeys, my old standby, AA Haltemans no longer exists.  Who does everybody else purchase their whole turkeys from? I'll probably buy from Godshall's this year, but I just wanted to double check with you guys. My family likes organic free range fresh birds.

Katie's pinned this email from Ann Karlen of the Fair Food Farmstand, who each year tries to offered organic and/or natural, pasture-raised turkeys, and sometimes heritage birds, too. I'd suggest stopping by the stand now and making a reservation. The new butcher shop, Giunta's Prime Shop, also offers hormone-free poultry, and may be worth a try. If you patronized A.A. Halteman, just head to the same spot: Giunta's took over the space.

Robert's Market Report

No, Bob, not my intent. Indpendence's food is superior to the food at the Marriott, is what I meant.

You're absolutely right, as you are on the beer.

I just didn't think of it as a "sports bar." But yes, they do have plenty of wide-screen HDTVs showing sports.

Also:

Paid my first visit to Giunta's last week.

Purchased 3 pounds of ground sirloin, 2 center cut pork chops, slightly less than 2 pounds hot Italian sausage, and a pound of beef cubes.

The sausage and ground beef are excellent, and I have the lasagna to prove it. Still. Sitting in my fridge since I made it on Monday.

Can't report on the rest of the purchase yet, but this is a good start.

Outside of the apple-smoked bacon I bought two weeks ago (excellent), I made my first major meat purchase at Giunta's Prime Shop today: a chuck roast, just under three pounds, which I'm going to slice and use in a carbonnades flammandes. I'll let you know the results. (I picked up some unsmoked salt pork belly from Dutch Country Meats to use as a fat source and flavor it.)

Le Bus begins its move to the new location (opposite Bassett's Ice Cream) next weekend and figures on opening for business there sometime the following week. Work to convert the former Spataro's space to Hershel's East Side Deli should pick up this week, once the tile arrives to place on the newly-installed walls.

Add L. Halteman to the purveyor's who will be offering non-factory farm turkey this season. Also, Giunta's has Eberly's capons, which are surgically rather than chemically castrated; it's a perfect roasting bird, especially for those who favor the juicy white meat these big-breasted birds produce.

Robert's Market Report

Thanks for the tips guys. Luckily I'll be around the terminal tomorrow so I'll be able to place my thanksgiving order early.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

. . . I made my first major meat purchase at Giunta's Prime Shop today: a chuck roast, just under three pounds, which I'm going to slice and use in a carbonnades flammandes. I'll let you know the results. (I picked up some unsmoked salt pork belly from Dutch Country Meats to use as a fat source and flavor it.)

Turned out yummy! The beef took very well to the braise; if it had been any more tender it wouldn't have been there at all. Good deep flavor, to which I'm sure the salt pork and the Ommergang abbey-style ale contributed.

Robert's Market Report