• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Steaks in NYC?

brooklyncook

Thank you R Washburn! To be perfectly honest, that was just CYA because I wasn't sure and some people are total fanatics about "authenticity". Grr, now I want another one! And I was so going to lose five pounds before vacation :rolleyes:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Has noone tried 99 miles from philly?

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Havent tried all the cheese steak places.  I went to Philly Slims, BB Sandwich bar, woogies, and that place on 34th ish and 3rd.. Woogies was the best one i have had so far.. I thought bb sandwich was horrific, a poor mans bbq sandwich.. Philly slims was my next favorite.

I trust Daniel's judgment, he was down doing a cheesesteak tour through Philly not too long ago. Unfortunately, he executed an illegal double-cheese maneuver and was expelled from our fair city.

But as many of us on the Philly boards have been promoting for some time, and as implied above, the really good philly sandwich is the roast pork italian. Get one of those at Tony Luke's and it's going to be really hard to think about cheesesteaks from then on...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Havent tried all the cheese steak places.  I went to Philly Slims, BB Sandwich bar, woogies, and that place on 34th ish and 3rd.. Woogies was the best one i have had so far.. I thought bb sandwich was horrific, a poor mans bbq sandwich.. Philly slims was my next favorite.

I trust Daniel's judgment, he was down doing a cheesesteak tour through Philly not too long ago. Unfortunately, he executed an illegal double-cheese maneuver and was expelled from our fair city.

But as many of us on the Philly boards have been promoting for some time, and as implied above, the really good philly sandwich is the roast pork italian. Get one of those at Tony Luke's and it's going to be really hard to think about cheesesteaks from then on...

Haha... Fortunately, in New York, it causes less of a scene when you order provo whiz wit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Tony Luke's Italian Fries, my co-workers have all become raving crackhead zombies. Just the mention of the place causes glazed looks. This weekend I got a call at HOME begging for the "name of the place with those fries". Does that make me a dealer or a pimp? Oh wait, I mean what does that make you guys? :blink::laugh:

Thanks for the Roast Pork Italian suggestion! That was wonderful, I wasn't expecting the pork to be so tender and thinly sliced. Very nice with the sharp provolone and broccoli rape. I kinda sorta almost wish the bread had had more flavor or texture here but y'all should know I only bother to quibble with the nearly perfect :cool:

It doesn't look like we'll get a chance to post any new results soon - someone else will have to pick up the gauntlet.

Thanks to Tony Luke's Italian Fries, my co-workers have all become raving crackhead zombies. 

what the hell are the Italian Fries? A friend and I were there on friday getting sandwiches and wondered, but not enough to ask the counterperson.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

They've got two things going for them: 1) They're really well-done french fries – not too thick, not too thin, just crispy enough on the outside and soft inside; 2) The Italian Fries are then tossed with a mixture of garlic, parmesan and parsley. (Anyone who knows better feel free to correct me on the ingredients.)

Tony Luke's Italian Fries, Tivo, heroin – hey, at $2.75, they're definitely one of the cheapest addictions you can have.

Has noone tried 99 miles from philly?

Yes, and they do make a typical Philadelphia Cheesesteak. Better than Pat's or Geno's, not as good as Tony Luke's IMHO.

Geeze those are some pretty tall claims.. 99 miles to philly i heard from some friends wasnt that good. And i have never heard anyone say tony lukes cheesesteaks are better then geno's. Just the roast pork sangwich.

• 1 month later...

I am a big fan of sliced steak (Pats, Genos, Steves) sandwiches as opposed to chopped (Jims) sandwiches, but have yet to find a place in NYC that slices the cheesesteak sandwiches - any advice here - thanks!

Time Out NY just came out with a brief listing of six (seven, technically) joints in NYC to get a decent Philly steak.  Having not had one for years, I'm putting it to you all -- where's the best place to get one?

I'd link to the TONY article, but it's not available online, unfortunately.

Geeze those are some pretty tall claims.. 99 miles to philly i heard from some friends wasnt that good.  And i have never heard anyone say tony lukes cheesesteaks are better then geno's.  Just the roast pork sangwich.

I would say that the Hospital cafeteria at Temple makes better cheesesteaks than either Geno's or Pat's.

Edited by R Washburn (log)

Geeze those are some pretty tall claims.. 99 miles to philly i heard from some friends wasnt that good.  And i have never heard anyone say tony lukes cheesesteaks are better then geno's.  Just the roast pork sangwich.

I would say that the Hospital cafeteria at Temple makes better cheesesteaks than either Geno's or Pat's.

Now you are just being ridiculous..

Now you are just being ridiculous..

<off-topic>I can't speak for the food at Temple hospital, but Temple's faculty club has some really good food. Soul food day, in particular, has some of the best greens and mac n' cheese I've had anywhere. I'll bet the steaks are good, too.</off-topic>

... And i have never heard anyone say tony lukes cheesesteaks are better then geno's.  Just the roast pork sangwich.

I hear ya man, I've had good steaks at Genos, but this is a common opinion in Philly: Pat's and Geno's are iconic, but not universally loved. Neither fared well, even as Tony Luke's was considered the best of the well-known spots, in the Philly Inquirer's Cheesesteak Project from a few years ago.

I personally have never placed the Tony Luke's Cheesesteak all that high in my own rankings, although I do love their Roast Pork sandwich. Given that you guys have a Tony Luke's now, Daniel, you need to make a sacrifice and skip the Pork, get a steak, report what you think.

philadining.com

Have you forgotten this post?

Just a quick moderator's note: Let's keep this thread about "Philly-style Steak" places in NYC and not diverge into a discussion about the archetypal places in the city of origin.

Take the discussion of cheesesteaks in Philadelphia to the Pennsylvania Forum. Thank you.

[Edit: Cheesesteaks, not cheesecakes. :biggrin: ]

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

So, does anyone know any sliced as opposed to chopped steak places in NYC???? Thanks!

Have you forgotten this post?
Just a quick moderator's note: Let's keep this thread about "Philly-style Steak" places in NYC and not diverge into a discussion about the archetypal places in the city of origin.

Take the discussion of cheesecakes in Philadelphia to the Pennsylvania Forum. Thank you.

Take the discussion of cheesesteaks in Philadelphia to the Pennsylvania Forum. Thank you.

On behalf of my fellow phillyphiles, I'll apologize for the digressions. We were trying to disabuse Daniel of the notion that Tony Luke's, and by implication your Tony Luke's on 9th Ave in Manhattan, was seen as making a second-rate cheesesteak in the city of that food's origin. In fact, it often is rated much higher than the better known UR-cheesteaks.

Of course, being from Philly we do this by publicly insulting and denigrating our own institutions, and then arguing amongst ourselves. We'll try to behave, really.

philadining.com

That's alright. I'm not offended, just trying to steer this thread back to the topic. If you'd like to provide a link to a discussion of cheesesteaks in Philadelphia on the Pennsylvania Forum, please go ahead.

Michael aka "Pan"