• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CSA Farms in Rhode Island

Does anyone know anything about CSA Farms in Rhode Island? I'm interested in joing one. I've found some info on the web, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any personal experiences with any of them.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any places that have pickups in the Providence area.

We were part of a CSA two years back, and decided that the plan didn't really correspond to our interests. We got half a share, I think, but ended up with too much red leaf lettuce.... However, we know lots of people who have had very good experiences with shares. The pickups have been on Broadway, up on Wickenden St, and elsewhere.

Some of the CSAs sell at the farmers' markets, especially at Hope High School and on Broad Street. We're on their mailing list, so I'll post the information here when we get it.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

There is a farmer in Little Compton by the name of Manic Organic, we used to get her greens in at Empire, she would deliver them herself, her name is Nicole, and her stuff was awesome!! She used to come to the city at least twice a week in the summer, and would bring us at little as 2# of greens, and as much as we wanted as far as larger items were concerned. Give her a call, she is awesome....

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Nicole from Manic Organic referred me to the following places:

Urban Edge Farm, farmer Pat McNiff contact urbanedgefarm@hotmail.com

Ledge Ends Farm, farmer Eric Acre contact garliceaters@netzero.com

Wishing Stone Farm, farmer Skip Paul contact skippaul@cox.net

I'll let you know what I decide to do.

• 2 months later...
Urban Edge Farm, farmer Pat McNiff contact urbanedgefarm@hotmail.com

We've just signed on to the Urban Edge Farm CSA this week. Details are available at the Southside Community Land Trust website. I know that they still have a few family shares available, on a sliding scale based on household income. Looks great; I'll give updates here as the season progresses (starts June 14).

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It would be neat to hear what types of produce you are getting out there in New England.

Growing up in central CT there used to be tons of roadside stands in nearly every town from which we would buy fruits and vegetables all summer. Seems like there might be less of these now--although, maybe some of the goods are now more available through farmer's markets or CSA's.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"