• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do I make moist bran muffins?

BobJones

My only concern with this recipe is the baking soda and baking powder being in the batter for so long. I would be concerned that it will activate too early and not provide enough leavening. I would personally mix them in at the last moment.

I got these from a thread on eG sometime ago and they are great, very moist, but not drippy sticky.

-- Mache

I sell these at the farmer's market and they are a hit. I think the combined elements of oil, plumped fruit and a long soak contribute to the moistness of this muffin. Wish I had one right now for breakfast. Patricia

2 1/2 c. plus 2 T. unbleached all purpose flour

4 1/2 t. baking soda

1 T. baking powder

2 t. cinnamon

1/8 t. salt

3/4 c. vegetable oil

2 T. honey

1/4 c. molasses

1 c. plus 2 T. light brown sugar, packed firm

1 t. vaniilla

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 c. buttermilk

1 c. wheat germ

1 c. natural bran (not the cereal)

1/2 c. dates, plump with scalding water, drain and coarsely chop

1 c. dark raisins, plump with scalding water and drain

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. Next, whisk together the oil, honey, molasses, br. sugar, and vanilla. Whisk into this oil mixture the eggs, then the buttermilk, wheat germ, and bran. Allow the batter to rest 10 minutes. Whisk the dry and wet together to partially blend. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the dates and raisins. Refrigerate batter (covered) for 2 hours or ideally overnight. Bake in lightly greased muffin pans (or use liners). Fill to the brim, and if you like, sprinkle sesame and sunflower seeds on top as a garnish. Bake at 400 degrees.

MJC Note - Makes between 22 and 24 muffins, takes between 20-25 minutes on bottom and 3rd from bottom rack. - 80g of batter per muffin - entire batch is 2030g

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 3 weeks later...

I implore any of you who love bran that have not tried Alan's recipe (that I posted on 3/22/05) to give it a shot. They are sooooo delicious and branny. :)

I do not doubt that Patricia's are all they are cracked up to be, but her ratio is 2.5C flour to 1C bran, where Alan's is 1C flour to 2 3/4C bran - very different, dark and high in fiber. Shorter ingredients list, too.

If anyone tries it, I'd love to hear how you like them.

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!