• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Help Please!

sadistick

Hey All,

Thank you so much for all the recommendations and whatnot, I cant tell you how much I appreciate it.

We are going to be in Philly for 4 nights, so I figured 2 nights we will go to some fancy shmancy place, and 2 nights something a little more casual.

I am thinking Stripped bass for one of the nights, but am still undecided on the second...

Morimoto? Le Bec Fin? hmmm...what would you choose?

I want to try out Django, and either Pod/Pasion! for another evenings...

I plan on going to Katie's Sansom St Oyster house for lunch one day...maybe The SMoked Joint for lunch another date...

If I am missing out on anything you would suggest as a place I MUST try, I'm all ears.

Thanks again,

-Justin

Hey All,

Thank you so much for all the recommendations and whatnot, I cant tell you how much I appreciate it.

We are going to be in Philly for 4 nights, so I figured 2 nights we will go to some fancy shmancy place, and 2 nights something a little more casual.

I am thinking Stripped bass for one of the nights, but am still undecided on the second...

Morimoto? Le Bec Fin? hmmm...what would you choose?

I want to try out Django, and either Pod/Pasion! for another evenings...

I plan on going to Katie's Sansom St Oyster house for lunch one day...maybe The SMoked Joint for lunch another date...

If I am missing out on anything you would suggest as a place I MUST try, I'm all ears.

Thanks again,

-Justin

Hi Justin,

If you're going to be at the art museum, you might try The Rose Tatoo Cafe. The food and service are always great and reasonably priced. Interesting wine list with several $30-$40 offerings. I reccomand going for dinner although they are open for lunch. Request a table on the balcony, filled with plants and fresh flowers, it's lovely. Mom and Gran will definitely be happy.

19th and Callowhill - 215-569-8939

Don't forget Reading Terminal for lunch. Cheesteak and great Pork, provolone, greens sandwich, plus tons of other options...

Also, Lacroix is SOOO much better than Le Bec Fin.

Try Pasion! A super place for ceviche (of all sorts), not cheap either...

Standard Tap for lunch, but its a good cab ride away...

Fork?

Pif?

Philadelphia Fish and Co. has good fish, I think even fried clams?

But I love Samson St. Oyster house too!

Philly Francophiles

No fried clams on their menu on the webbut maybe they have them sometimes.... Who'd have guess fried clams would be hard to find?

Ahh, Katie can talk her into an Oyster PoBoy and she'll never go back to the clams!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Ahh, Katie can talk her into an Oyster PoBoy and she'll never go back to the clams!

I'd be willing to try anyway. Or a Shrimp 'Po Boy which might be more similar to the way smaller crisper fried clams would be.

Works for me. Bring on the dedicated clam fans and I'll give it my best shot. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Justin,

please visit the Reading Terminal Market for lunch one day. try 12th st cantina for mexican, or dinic's for roast pork sandwiches, or salumeria or rocco's for hoagies (italian lunchmeat sandwiches). call now to get a res at Vetri for one of your $$$ nights. it is only around 35 seats, so reservations must be made well in advance. Morimoto offers amazing seafood - if money is not a concern, book a seat at the sushi bar, and order the omakase tasting, a sampling of the all they offer. dinner for 2 with a couple carafes of chilled sake served in bamboo shoots will run you around $325

I have heard a lot of suggestions regarding Vetri, here is my issue, I do a lot of italian cooking, and there is an amazing italian place downtown Toronto (Romania Mia) that we go to, so shelling out the $$$ for Italian is somewhat difficult for me...

Can anyone who has been there give me a few examples of favourite dishes, just so I can think of what I may expect, and see whether or not its worth shelling out the big bucks.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Justin

edit* So far I have booked Stripped Bass for one night, and Plan on Django for another (arg can only reserve 1 month in advance)...2 slots left....so many choices! Eeeeek! :wacko:

Edited by sadistick (log)

Katie,

I will definetly be coming to your place for lunch one day, I will make sure to introduce myself...I will msg you closer to the date to see if fried clams are a possibility.

Cheers,

-Justin

It's likelier that we can get them in May than now, I'm told, so definitely give me a heads up with your dates about a week ahead. I was told there's an 80-90% chance we can get them for your Gram around then.

I'll do my best!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Works for me.  Bring on the dedicated clam fans and I'll give it my best shot.  :smile:

How many clams for the clams?

It's gonna have to be either a Saturday or an after-work dinner for me now. I don't get back into the city any more before 6:45 p.m. But I'm earning enough that I can afford to eat out again, even after paying down what I owe my current employer-at-one-remove. :rolleyes:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3