• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starr Rum

dwarnier

I tried this rum yesterday, and must say that I was pleasantly surprised. At first I was sceptical of a light rum at this price (could buy Pampero Anniversario for less), but I must say I was impressed with the clean citrussy flavour and smoothness. These guys seem to have identified a bit of a niche market of ultra-premium light rum, and I've seen it suddenly crop up in cocktails all over New York in restaurants and bars.

http://www.starrafricanrum.com

Anyone else have any opinions?

Interesting that there is no mention whether this is a molasses-based or sugar-cane juice-based product. I've had a couple of other rums from Mauritius and wouldn't have expected something from that region to be highly refined.

I tend to ignore monikers like ultra-premium, but will look for it. Where did you find it in New York?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Ed - there was a tasting in Astor Wines and Liquors, and it's sold there for $29.99. It's appearing in many bars/lounges in the East Village too. The guy told me that it was made from molasses, and claimed that you'd given it rave reviews!

I am always a little sceptical of these super-prmium products be it rum, vodka, gin etc etc. This is compounded when they put it in a fancy bottle. Me, I would rather spend the money on the contents and not the bottle.

Ed - there was a tasting in Astor Wines and Liquors, and it's sold there for $29.99.  It's appearing in many bars/lounges in the East Village too.  The guy told me that it was made from molasses, and claimed that you'd given it rave reviews!

Interesting that I'd never heard of it before I read this post. I'll be talking to Astor about rhum agricole soon and will be interested to hear about my rave reviews. Since as a rum-drinking sailor the only I have to sell is my crediblity, I wonder if they have my rave reviews in writing. Don't believe everything you hear.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 2 weeks later...

Starr Africa rum is apparently disitlled in Mauritius from molasees produced at the largest sugar factory on the island. I'm told that this clear rum is actually a blend of aged rums. The bottles come from South Africa and are fillled in Mauritius. I've yet to taste this rum though I have tasted some Green Island rum from the same distillery.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com