• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleveland specialty grocers

Thanks for the article!! Hana has been been favorite Asain store for a couple years now, it is also one of the closest.... :biggrin:

I just food some pictures of CAM on someone's blog, it looks huge.

I visited CAM last week and it IS HUGE and clean! I was impressed by the fact the vegetables are clearly labled in English and the overhead signs above each aisle indicate what types of products are contained therein just like in any American supermarket. There is just a huge selection of products.

Back to the Whole Foods discussion, construction is well underway with many of the outer walls in place. The sign in front states "Early 2007 opening."

mhjoseph,

It is nice to see more Clevelanders coming on board! Welcome!

Thanks for the information about CAM, it is going to be on my first stops when I get to Cleveland. Though I am bringing enough curry roux, Pocky and Hi-chew to pretty much open up my own shop. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I've been lurking here for a while. Decided that it was time to say something.

Thanks for the article!! Hana has been been favorite Asain store for a couple years now, it is also one of the closest.... :biggrin:

I just food some pictures of CAM on someone's blog, it looks huge.

I visited CAM last week and it IS HUGE and clean! I was impressed by the fact the vegetables are clearly labled in English and the overhead signs above each aisle indicate what types of products are contained therein just like in any American supermarket. There is just a huge selection of products.

Back to the Whole Foods discussion, construction is well underway with many of the outer walls in place. The sign in front states "Early 2007 opening."

mhjoseph,

It is nice to see more Clevelanders coming on board! Welcome!

Thanks for the information about CAM, it is going to be on my first stops when I get to Cleveland. Though I am bringing enough curry roux, Pocky and Hi-chew to pretty much open up my own shop. :biggrin:

From the article linked above by mhjoseph:

But at CAM Asia Supermarket on Miles Road in North Randall, sharp differences with the urban experience emerge. Shoppers stroll wide, bright aisles past foods popular among China's growing professional classes, like paper-thin tofu.

They leave with computer-generated receipts printed in both Chinese characters and English letters. And they reach the store by exiting the highway near Randall Park Mall, far from the old neighborhood.

Northeast Ohio's first Asian supermarket in the suburbs offers new choices and a modern look to the upwardly mobile Asian community. Some worry it also portends a lesser status for Chinatown, the lively, unpolished, long-time supply depot for local Asian families.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

I did get the chance to go to CAM last week and really thought it was great, compared to the other Asian stores in the area it is huge. I would estimate that more than 50% of the stuff in the store is Chinese with a mix of everything else. I can't really compare prices to other places as I haven't been anywhere else this year but they seemed average.

The variety on some of the stuff was incredible, there was a huge section just of soy sauces. I loved the fresh vegetables and picked up a beutiful bunch of watercress for $.99 and a pack of eryngii (Japanese name, I think they called them king oyster) for less than $2 and it was a good sized pack. The fresh fish also looked decent and they had a variety of frozen meats. Their frozen selection was incredible, I wished I had taken a cooler...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I've got to get to CAM. I stopped at Tink Holl ( 36th & Payne) the other day. The place is so much bigger than it was, but it was INCREDIBLY smelly. More so than your fish market kind of smell. It was so strong I couldn't even browse, just found what I needed and left.

• 2 weeks later...

for those who have checked out CAM, would you say that they have a wide enough Japanese food selection to make them the best choice for a purveyor of ingredients for that cuisine? if not, which market is your choice for japanese items? and where can I find a good selection of sashimi grade seafood? i'm living in akron now for school so cleveland area is close enough to drive for good food and ingredients...

thanks,

adam