• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta with olive oil and red pepper flakes

tommy

Have you got Clifford Wright's book? Utterly brilliant.

Nope.  Remember your mentioning it previously elsewhere...dunno where exactly just now.  What's so great about it keeping in mind I have very high standards?

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Italian sources:

I love Marcella; her recipes are impeccable.

Bugialli is rigorously authentic, with many references to Italian innovations adopted by the French. (Bechamel is just one interesting example.)

Faith Willinger is a good expat Italian food nut.

The Art of Eating Well by Artusi, has been translated by Kyle Phillips, and is now available in English. Phillips runs the About.com Italian food site. He is excellent.

Anyone out there ever try making pasta entirely by hand? This has been one of my projects over the last few years.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

Anyone out there ever try making pasta entirely by hand? This has been one of my projects over the last few years.

Robert, do you mean, without using pasta machine? This is how my mom and grandma used to roll out the dough for lapsha (russian egg wide noodles) and pelmeni.

I have a question too: what's your favorite brand of dry pasta? Wellinger calls Latini her favorite pasta. What about rustichella or martelli? Recently i'm cooking a lot of Cara Nona brand and love it.

And my most-used pasta book is Pasta Improvvisata by Erica De Mane. She has a site ( click here)

Yes, Helena, without the machine. I've got this very impractical streak in me that always wants to do things the hard way. Nevertheless, once one gets the hang of it, it's pretty straightforward. As my grandfather used to say, "Anything's easy once you know how to do it."

You covered most of the good brands. From the supermarket, I always look for Di Cecco when it's on sale.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

• 1 year later...
[According to Paula Wolfert, this kind of flakes is very hard to find even in Turkey, and she knows her stuff...

Heleanas.

A correctıon needed here. Presently. I am ın Turkey and am fındıng jars of red pepper flakes on restaurant tables EVERYWHERE. A few are even the qualıty of Marash pepper.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

One of Lidia's recipies for pasta a'olio includes tossing a few anchovies into the heated oil and garlic before adding the pasta. The anchovies will dissolve into the sauce. It's an excellent dish.

I've tried Marcella's recipe but I like Lidia's better. MUCH sliced garlic sauteed, red pepper flakes added off the heat. A good quantity of pasta water to create the sauce. Parsley and more olive oil added at the end. I also add a little black pepper. Sometimes chovies.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Until this thread I have bypassed all such recipes as they all sounded so boring. But you got me - I had to have a go - and it's delicious. I tried it without cheese and then with a light dusting of PR and I have to say that I liked it better with the cheese. Thanks for a new taste experience!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I dated a poor Italian girl when we were both undergraduates. We would gorge ourselves on this dish several times a week. Ahh... the memories. I shoulda made it for supper.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The variations are probably endless, but sometimes I also throw in sundried tomatoes and/or broccoli. Often with anchovies. Yeah, yeah, so the broccoli's probably not authentic. . . but good anyway, and it makes a one-pan dinner (if you zap the broccoli in the mic). So there.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Hate to enter so late, but I don't think the answer to the name of the original dish in question was answered - pasta (con) aglio e olio. It's a typical late night snack in Italy and something really great to make for yourself (and friends/SO/whoever) if you go to happy hour and forget to have a real meal, then make it home too late for a real dinner. Very quick and delicious - I always use breadcrumbs in mine or it feels too oily. Anyhow, just figured I'd drop in my two cents.

Hate to enter so late, but I don't think the answer to the name of the original dish in question was answered - pasta (con) aglio e olio. It's a typical late night snack in Italy and something really great to make for yourself (and friends/SO/whoever) if you go to happy hour and forget to have a real meal, then make it home too late for a real dinner. Very quick and delicious - I always use breadcrumbs in mine or it feels too oily. Anyhow, just figured I'd drop in my two cents.

thanks, mark. that answer only took 2 years. :biggrin:

I wasn't invoking an absolute, just giving my opinion.

But you might agree, it's a little overkill to toss a handful of grated white stuff on something that probably doesn't need it.

sort of like pizza with spam and pineapple (*shudder*)

mmmmm pizza with spam and pineapple....spamapalicious!

This is easily my favorite instant heat gratification food, and we make several versions.

The traditional base, as observed in this thread, is a ton of coarsely chopped garlic. Then there needs to be a strong olive oil, we tend to use the intensely aromatic and flavorful Portuguese ones. Then the pepperoncino.

Probably my favorite version of this includes some good cured/smoked sausage, finely chopped, anything from linguica to soppresata. And maybe a few finely chopped olives, and then a diced tomato thrown in a couple of minutes before the pasta is added to the pan.

No cheese, of course.

It's highly satisfying, and takes a round ten minutes to cook - from start to finish.

Having some right now! Linguine with minced garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, a little pinch of fried onions (the kind you can get at the Thai market) and ground black pepper. Dam' good.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"