• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

schneich

Ganache: Tips, Techniques & Troubleshooting

I don't strain out the zest.  

Posted (edited)

Anyone know how much chocolate is called for in this Wybauw recipe from the Gold book? Instructions indicate pouring hot liquid over the chocolate as expected, but ingredient list  makes no mention of it...how much? White? Milk? 

75C9FAD5-DDF4-4681-91C2-69109C8DD870.jpeg

Edited by Louise nadine brill (log)

@Tri2Cook i am late to the game here but... i use a standard white choc ganache (2:1 choc to cream ratio) as my base. I zest a couple of limes and steep in the cream as i warm it, then strain out when i pour on to the chocolate. I use an immersion blender to whisk, once emulsion is achieved i add 2 to 3 Tablespoons of lime juice a little at a time. Love the results. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 3:20 PM, Desiderio said:

Do you strain the zests from the cream before adding it to the chocolate?

I do strain out the zest. I just out a strainer over the bowl of chocolate and pour hot cream/zest through that

If I take the batch size of 1650g minus the existing ingredients, I would try 955 g? 

I haven’t made it, but if I were to make it, I’d give that a try. 

I see to make cut pralines, he says to use 1100g, so the right direction anyway. 

• Like 1

I Wanted to ask how to go about piping Jelly or getting jelly into my bonbon moulds . Heated Jelly has a higher melting point to chocolate , 

You’ll have to pipe the jelly at a lower temperature to keep the chocolate from melting. 83F has been recommended in the forum on molded chocolates on page 17. 

I think some of the difficulty I have had in unmolding is from piping the filling too hot. 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, spennie said:

I Wanted to ask how to go about piping Jelly or getting jelly into my bonbon moulds . Heated Jelly has a higher melting point to chocolate , 

In the past we have put solid PDF into a food processor or blender with some alcohol - then piped that into the mold.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, gfron1 said:

I've gone the route of fluid gels for many of mines, which is very similar to what Kerry said except using agar as the setting agent. But ultimately it gets hit with a stick blender and piped.

Thank you x

On 5/8/2020 at 1:49 AM, Kerry Beal said:

In the past we have put solid PDF into a food processor or blender with some alcohol - then piped that into the mold.

Thank you x