• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

drinking chalk

chef koo

alot of wines (and many other types of drinks for that matter) that i drink leaves a chalky feeling in my mouth. does anyone know what i'm talking about? it feels like your tounge is really pasty and when you rub your teeth together it feels like styrophome. even with good quality wines i get this. on my tounge it fels like all the saliva's just disolved and i get that chalky pasty feeling. can anyone put this into words better for me? what wines should i avoid.

bork bork bork

Definitely sounds like astringency- it comes from tannins (via grape skins, wood, etc.) It is not an indicator of a wine of poor quality (actually, they're pretty key to a wine's structure), just one that hasn't aged sufficiently. You may also get that sensation when you drink tea.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

school chocolate milk too ....it actually made you thirstier...and yes Tea also

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have tasted certain Coteaux de Layon which had a defiinite chalk and mineral flavor, much more than I ever encountered before. These vineyards sit over chalk, flint and granite deposits. In this case, they definitely flavored the wine.

Mark

rebel rose thanks for that link. that explained it perfectly. but one thing i'm wondering is, are tanins evident in certain kinds of wines or are they evident in poorly made wines? i mean can you write out a list of wines that have a little amount of tanin and a list of wines that have a lot or is it a matter of how you make the wine? what i got from it was that good technique can minimize it and certain grapes have more and or less of it? is this correct?

Edited by chef koo (log)

bork bork bork

rebel rose thanks for that link. that explained it perfectly. but one thing i'm wondering is, are tanins evident in certain kinds of wines or are they evident in poorly made wines? i mean can you write out a list of wines that have a little amount of tanin and a list of wines that have a lot or is it a matter of how you make the wine? what i got from it was that good technique can minimize it and certain grapes have more and or less of it? is this correct?

Most white wines don't show much tannin unless they are young white Burgundies. Red wines show the most tannin. Bordeaux always tastes tannic when young. Burgundy too, with exceptions. Most California producers have learned how to "mitigate" the tannincs. The wines are forward, fruity, light tannin.

Mark