• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desert Island Condiments

Is the HP love a purely British/Canadian thing?

Nahh. I think the Aussies love it too.

Eh, they might as well be British/Canadian from how how reluctant they are to cut the empircal umbilical cord.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

home made mustard

sweet chile sauce, preferably Mae Ploy

home made mayo

Actually these in combination, any two or all three can make just about anything palatable.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Chipotle Tabasco Sauce

Best Foods Mayo (Hellman's west of some line)

Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Salsa

I have many, many more condiments in the fridge and in the pantry, including about 3 types of mustard, but these are the things I turn to over and over again when I need to "help" some food or another.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Lime juice (I see that LindaK abstained, but I won't)

Vinegary hot sauce (Tobasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce I guess)

Non-vinegary hot sauce (Melinda's, Yucatan Sunshine)

I play by the rules, so that's it, but I would miss pickapeppa, worcester, sriracha, and hoisin, among others.

Oh, good grief. Only three? Well, I will try but you must understand that this is traumatic for a condiment queen.

Hellman's mayo

Soy sauce

Sriracha

Where to put?:

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire

Zatarain's Creole mustard

Tabasco in its many guises

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Lime juice (I see that LindaK abstained, but I won't)

I abstained only because I thought we were discussing condiments that came in jars, bottles, etc. If not, I'd have to put lemon juice at the top of my desert island condiment list.

Chipotle Tabasco Sauce

Best Foods Mayo (Hellman's west of some line)

Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Salsa

I have many, many more condiments in the fridge and in the pantry, including about 3 types of mustard, but these are the things I turn to over and over again when I need to "help" some food or another.

Marcia.

I think it is Hellman's in the east and Best Foods in the west. I have only seen Hellman's "flavored" mayo at Big Lots and their stuff comes from God knows where.....

You have only three types of mustards? Geez, I must be weird because I have half a dozen types that are homemade - I have no idea how many I have that are store bought but there is a tray full in the pantry and a bunch in the fridge.

Of course I have to admit I am a bit of a nut about mustard in all its many forms.

My housekeeper is now laughing her head off. She says I need a separate fridge just for the condiments.

She laughs at me because I section off a bratwurst and put a different mustard on each section before covering it with the top of the bun.

I just like to get a different taste sensation with each bite, is that so awful??????

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Eh, they might as well be British/Canadian from how how reluctant they are to cut the empircal umbilical cord.

Do you actually think before you type?

A.

Not really ;) I find it endearing...

EDITED to say:

I mean to no offense to fellow eG members. After all, we are all friends here, we just have to have someone to stir the pot occasionally to keep things from getting dull and stagnant.

Edited by NulloModo (log)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Interesting topic, but how can everyone answer so quickly ... are you all assuming that you have everything else on this island? I mean what have we got, are we in 'survivor' land with nothing but some fish we spear in the ocean or what?

Personally if I haven't got bread and some kind of meat or fowl, I don't need mayonaise, possibly not even mustard, but admitidly it goes with a much wider variety of foods.. If I haven't the means to get to any meat then I want a seperate set of condiments than if I do, etc.

So, I'm pondering. My first inclination goes closely with Hopkin, Blackberry jam (homemade, handpicked) mango chutney, and pepper jelly. But the lemon/lime issue is still open right?

meow

note to hopkin, I'll come by with a jar of my pepper jelly for you, in hopes you will share your mango chutney recipe :wub:

Edited by SushiCat (log)

If you think back to the reason some of these things were developed, it only makes sense.

Some were created to cover up the taste of spoiled or nearly spoiled food, only later were they used to enhance flavors.

I myself would prefer fowl rather than foul but to each his own. :wacko:

someone else used the same word earlier -

Actually if we are talking about a "desert" island - there wouldn't be much, would there?

I am picturing the island in the movie "The Black Stallion" ---

After the horse trampled the cobra, I was thinking, hmmm, snake isn't all that bad if one is hungry enough. Chewy. :blink:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

1. Huichol brand salsa--egges just ain't eggs without it.

2. Kimlan soy sauce,

3. a nice grainy dijon mustard.

4. ...and I MUST add a 4th...really I must I must I must have catsup.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

andiesenji, I took "desert" to mean desert of humans, not all life.

My condiments (seedy mustard, mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce) will add deliciousness to fish, fowl or meat!

I just hope I would be allowed to bring some sort of firestarter, as an all-sushi diet would likely pall in time, regardless of condiments!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

andiesenji, I took "desert" to mean desert of humans, not all life.

My condiments (seedy mustard, mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce) will add deliciousness to fish, fowl or meat!

I just hope I would be allowed to bring some sort of firestarter, as an all-sushi diet would likely pall in time, regardless of condiments!

I can make fire without matches. Growing up on a farm has lots of advantages, especially when you have a bunch of boys, near in age with which to play and uncles and great uncles who love showing kids all kinds of woodslore.

I learned to make a firebow before I was 10. We used to go fishing a pretty long hike from home, start a fire early on and the first few fish we caught were plastered in clay (lots of clay in western Kentucky), put into the coals and by the time we had caught enough for dinner, our lunch was done. Crack open the clay and the skin comes off with it leaving the beautifully cooked flaky flesh ready to eat.

While few islands would have all the resources of the one found by

"The Swiss Family Robinson" there is usually something edible.

I think it is Hellman's in the east and Best Foods in the west.  I have only seen Hellman's "flavored" mayo at Big Lots and their stuff comes from God knows where.....

Yes, you're absolutely right...that's what I get for answering way late at night, I mess up cardinal directions :-).

You have only three types of mustards?  Geez, I must be weird because  I have half a dozen types that are homemade - I have no idea how many I have that are store bought but there is a tray full in the pantry and a bunch in the fridge. 

Of course I have to admit I am a bit of a nut about mustard in all its many forms.

Afraid so - I like mustard, but not as much as say, horseradish. I have a little of a lot of things - I like getting a bottle of something interesting here and there.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Interesting topic, but how can everyone answer so quickly ... are you all assuming that you have everything else on this island?

I was assuming at least a bowl and a spoon.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

This is almost too easy .. NOT!!

1. Crystal Hot Sauce

2. Lea Perrins Worcester sauce

3. Crosse & Blackwell Branston pickle

Note for Nullo ... yeah the HP is right next to all of these and the vegemite :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

PS Yup I'm one of the Australians :biggrin:

I want food and I want it now

I assume this is your good old, traditional desert island surrounded by ocean.

Probably would be eating a lot of clams and oysters, so numbers 1 and 2 would be ketchup and horseradish.

Don't know what else would be available for provender.

My guess is that there would be some vegetation to eat.

Would therefore probably pick vinegar, if that is considered fair game here. But then again I could make that.

OK, number three is Worcestershire sauce.