• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desert Island Condiments

Like many of you, it was with surprise that I read today of Chef Neil Wyles' (aka the Professor of Steak) aversion to mustard. Who would have thought? I mean after all, a tangy dollop of Keen's Hot is pleasant respite from horseradish shotgunning a quality T-bone.

Very shortly after reading that, the future Mrs. Maw, after a hectic workday, produced a superior roasted chicken, potatoes and peas in a seeming instant. I immediately and reflexively reached into the groaning fridge door for a favourite condiment--Mrs. H.S. Ball's Hot Chutney.

Question. What makes your fridge door sag? And what, pray tell, are the three--that's all three--condiments or bottled sauces that you simply couldn't live without?

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

blackberry jam (homemade, handpicked)

mango chutney (my own)

grainy dijon

its funny how much brain power we spend on bizarre questions like these. what defines a condiment, something that is 'prepared' I assume? if butter is considered a condiment that is surely #1. immediatly what came to mind were my jams and cheeses, which with some good bread I could live with alone for a long while. next would be my oils and vinegars, maple syrup, but under this kind of pressure these could be kept outside of the fridge.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

1. Mayo

2. Mustard (preferably spicey with horseradish)

3. Any nice and strong vinegary extra hot Cayenne pepper sauce

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

1. a honey mustard

2. a jar of spicy giardinara (sp)

3. a bottle of strawberry, black pepper, chili oil

I think. Not sure about the third item though. Soy would be great as it would provide salt, oooohhh. i don't know and will need to spend the day obesssing.

There's a yummy in my tummy.

i've tried and i've tried and i've tried and i've tried.......

but i can't get no.....three item list going.

i'm afraid i'm far too much of a condiment slut for only three items.

and i want it known that on an overnight cruise to eygpt from cyprus, i brought in my handbag: a lemon, a jar of tarragon mustard from dijon, a head of garlic, and a bottle of some sort of yummy hot sauce.

anyhow, when we sat down at our table, our british dining companions saw me get out the garlic, and requested another table. (the dish of the evening was pizza, it was a very low cost cruise, its sister ship went down in the sea near us that very night, not too seaworthy i think. anyhow, i'm telling you, this pizza needed garlic as much as we all need air to breathe (i need garlic to breathe) (though those around me may not be able to breathe easy themselves).

x marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

1) Dijon Mustard

2) Pesto

3) home made apricot/red onion salsa (almost all summer long)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I'm going to have to stretch and go to four desert-island condiments, so without further ado and in no particular order...

1. Worcester sauce, if it's Crosse and Blackwell.

2. A nice, medium-sharp Dijon mustard - hard to decide whether I'd want coarse-grain or smooth.

3. Sriracha.

4. The truffled aioli they serve with the frites at Restaurant Villegas.

One or more of those can render anything edible.

(Though I suppose if it was a dessert island, my choices might be different. :wink: )

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

Is the HP love a purely British/Canadian thing?

I admit to trying it whilst in GB, and then again at a grocery store here, and my conclusion was that it is just an OK at best steak-sauce. Perhaps it it a taste that grows on you such as mayo preference?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

easy,

1. good tamari/soy sauce

2. maille mustard

3. sriracha hot sauce

4. several good bottled salsas

I didn't list items like fresh lemon or lime juice, fresh v. dried parsley, etc. because I don't consider them condiments, they hold a superior rank in which no substitutes are allowed.

how about what i'll never use: bottled mayo, pestos.

I'll bet there are some of you who would NEVER consider using prepared salsa (as I do during the 9 months in the NE when fresh tomatoes aren't available) and as many who think nothing of reaching for bottled lemon juice or mayo. On a desert island? I suppose I'd relent. Otherwise I'd rather do without.