• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Other Asian cuisines that are popular in India...

touaregsand

What are the other Asian cuisines that are popular in India? Or with Indians outside of India? What other Asian foods do you eat the most often? Do you cook with ingredients from other Asian cuisines? If so how do you incorporate these ingredients into Indian cookery?

What are the other Asian cuisines that are popular in India? Or with Indians outside of India? What other Asian foods do you eat the most often? Do you cook with ingredients from other Asian cuisines? If so how do you incorporate these ingredients into Indian cookery?

there's been several discussions on the wonders of

"indian-chinese" food: chinese food in chinese restaurants

in india, majorly fused with indian tastes and ingredients, and

absolutely divine.

right now thai food is growing popular....

milagai

Wow! Sounds interesting. I've heard of Chinese food being popular in India. But I've never seen Indian/Chinese fusion first hand. The closest my mind can get to it is along the lines of what might be found in Singapore.

Which regional style of Indian cookery is "fusing" with which region of China? Or is it a very broad fusion?

Wow! Sounds interesting. I've heard of Chinese food being popular in India. But I've never seen Indian/Chinese fusion first hand. The closest my mind can get to it is along the lines of what might be found in Singapore.

Which regional style of Indian cookery is "fusing" with which region of China? Or is it a very broad fusion?

CLICK HERE

A cuisine that has spread like a virus all over India (and the world), Chinese food finds it's way on the most traditonal Indian restaurants. Fastidious Mughlai menus now include a Chinese section with improvisations such as Paneer and Chicken Chilli. Kolkata's once-bustling Chinatown- Tangra was the first stopover for migrating Hakka Chinese who manned the Tanneries of the bustling leather trade. Their young generation, reluctant to be in the leather or restaurant business have now migrated to developed countries. The restaurateurs have smartly adapted their cuisine and made it more delectable to the Indian palate. It is now possible to get your Indo-Chinese fare in USA and UK !

image006_china.gif Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

What is the cuisine like where India and Pakistan border China?

actually: i was going to mention something earlier

that may be relevant to your question.

tibetan food is also popular in many regions

(around delhi, dharamsala, and bangalore) where

the community settled, after many left (including

the Dalai Lama) in India after the CHinese takeover in 1959....

momos, noodles, etc.

milagai

Fusing Indian flavours with the Chinese is happenning , and nowhere its better felt than in Kolkata. The city has been hooked on to the chilli chickens and the chicken chowmeins which bears little resemblance to the ones found in China.

I guess the Gobi Manchurian (from the south) is a heavily mutated recipe and if you look closely you will find the Punjabi influence coming out of the chineses dishes served in Delhi.