• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lazzat-e-Taam

whippy

Did you ever get the chance to use the leaves? How did you use them and what was your experience? Thx

you prompted me to venture down the lane, pandanus portland style:

gallery_17062_197_5220.jpg

Last freezer compartment on the left, 99 cents a bag. Haven't had a chance to goof around with it yet, but initial inspection yielded almost no fragrance. Shouldn't this be highly odoratissimus??

• 12 years later...

Has anyone made their own "Lazzat-e-Taam"? How was it? As I was looking online for this super masala mix, Google search lead me to this exact post here in eGullet. I managed to find almost all the items, but having difficulty procuring edible/culinary grade chandan powder. I'm in Northern California. If anyone knows a trustworthy and edible chandan, please let me know. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hi @Kerry Beal, I saw that brand as well as others. I even submitted enquiries from others and for the seller if the item was food grade. I have done my homework and I think I may have to accept that I won't find edible/culinary grade chandan powder from the Indian Sandalwood, e.g. Santalum album. This is the tree that's native to India and hence "chandan" powder comes from, due to its name in Sanskrit containing "chandan."

The sandalwood in the item linked is from Cameroon and it's Red Sandalwood and not the "chandan" referenced originally in the ingredients for this super masala mix.

Thank you for helping me (and others) find this elusive chandan powder that's culinary grade and from the Santalum album native to India.

From asking the chef whose YouTube video I followed, he told me that it's normally purchased at Ayurvedic store in India. For the moment, as much as I'm curious about this chandan, I'm going to skip it.