• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Food

Here's the typical phó standard, prepared at home. The very pacifist among you should be aware that this was originally posted on a forum with its own traditions, and thus whatever you see should not be construed to be anything other than that which it is. If you're unsettled by imagery of weapons other than cast-iron skillets and chef's knives, do abstain from viewing. Those of you on slow connections may sit for a bit.

http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/900108052

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

Mo-

I am a fan of VN food and have cooked pho at home once or twice before but never had other recipes. Now that I have this I'm inspired to do more!!! Thanks so much for all your time posting pix and recipes! I love the crepes and will be doing those very soon!

If you ever get to Phoenix, there is a small place that is quite 'western' but serves very good VN food, Cyclo. One of my favorite items is lemongrass chicken. Small bite sized pieces of chicken that are caramelized with little bits of lemongrass and chili flake...do you have a recipe for that? One of my favorites!

Guppymo - I love this thread and the photography is luscious. It is sooo cruel to be reading this while at work. It makes me crave vietnamese food - I think i know what I am having for dinner tonight! :wub:

Do you ever make Bun Cha or Bun Bo, perchance? These are both dishes I had in Hanoi on my last visits and I couldn't get enough of either. I would LOVE the recipe for either of these. I have been lucky enough to find that one of the local East London vietnamese restaurants does a fantastic Bun Cha (albeit only with the grilled pork meat as opposed to the lovely little grilled pork hamburger style patties that you get in Hanoi) but the nuoc mam soupy mixture that the bun is served in is really quite good.

I have not seen a restaurant around me serve Bun Bo though. It was kind of like a Bun Cha but cooked with a stir fried beef, beansprouts and chopped peanuts instead of pork.

Have you seen any good recipes or would you know of one?

Thanks also for the Bun Bo Hue recipe. It is my boyfriend's favourite dish - I might have to try it for him, if he's good! :biggrin:

Please keep up the posts. I am looking forward to the next one!

Here's the typical phó standard, prepared at home. The very pacifist among you should be aware that this was originally posted on a forum with its own traditions, and thus whatever you see should not be construed to be anything other than that which it is. If you're unsettled by imagery of weapons other than cast-iron skillets and chef's knives, do abstain from viewing. Those of you on slow connections may sit for a bit.

:laugh:

Thanks for the link.

:laugh:

Thanks for the link.

Quite happy to have obviously amused you.

I wonder if the Phoenix Cyclo is a branch of the New York Cyclo, or vice versa?

We had a restaurant here that was called Cyclo as well, but the name has changed to Phó Ba Le. One of the waiters explained that they had chosen a new name for this site but that it was, in fact, still related through ownership or relation with other Cyclos.

Some of this might be related to the tendency with some ethnic groups in the restaurant trade to piggyback on already successful names in new locations.

in new orleans we have a sizable vietnamese population, and a familyhowned chain of vietnamese restaurants called Pho Tau Bay serves there bun bo hue with slices of pork loin, slices of beef brisket with the connetctive tissue and peices of fat still intact, with the option of having pork knuckles thrown in there as well. yum

That soup looks great  guppymo, and I like your satay beard as well (at least I think that is what you are holding).  Do you know what the traditional meats are in Bun Bo Hue.  I always assumed it was an all beef soup but the last bowl I had (at Com Tam Thanh in San Jose, CA) included a slice of pork shank, some congealed blood I assume from a pig, and a mystery white 'sausage' . 

The other Vietnamese soup I am getting into lately is Bun Rieu (i think) a rice noodle soup with a pounded crab chunky meatball  like thing, tomatoes and fried tofu.  THe last place I tried it also gave me a nice side of shrimp paste and roasted chile paste to add to the soup.  This was my first experience with shrimp paste and it really added an interesting depth of flavor and was not as overpowering as I expected.

Since your soup looks so good and you are a good photographer, how about giving us a vietnamese soup lesson with step by step photos.  I am sure I am not the only one here who would like to see this.

Nathan

• 5 months later...
That herb is called "rau ram" in Vietnamese. In English it is called "Vietnamese Cilantro" or "Hot mint"

Here is a picture of it. I use it all the time

coprauramrauram.jpg

Thanks for that picture! I wasn't sure if I had gotten "rau ram" or something else.

It's hard shopping for ingredients when you know the name but not how it should look.

I found a sign for "rau ram" (also labeled "pac peo") but, unfortunately, that sign was hanging over three or four different herbs and I had no idea which was which.

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

• 2 months later...

Okie, it's been a while since the last time I posted something that I cook at home here, so here are some

Banh Xeo

banhxeo.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Ga Ro Ti (Fried chicken with five spice, shallot, garlic, coconut juice)

comgaroti.jpg

Chao Ca (Fish porridge)

IMG_0032.jpg

Beef stir-fried with Asian celery

boxao1.jpg

Guppy! WE MISSED YA MAN!!! Good to have you back.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Guppy, that looks awesome.  How about your recipe for Banh Xeo?  Pretty, pretty please.

Jake, I hope the city where you live has a Vietnamese market, you can purchase a bag of banh xeo flour there

1 bag of banh xeo flour (sold at Asian Markets)

3.5 cups water

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup coconut milk

1/3 cup thinly sliced scallion

1 lbs. bean sprout

Medium prawns and sliced pork (enough to make whatever amount of banh xeo your heart desires)

Combine above ingredients and mix until smooth. Allow batter to rest for at least 30 minutes.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot frypan, wok or skillet. Pour in a 1/4 cup of batter (or a large ladle's worth) and swirl pan to spread batter evenly.

Then scatter thin slices of boiled pork belly and prawns over the batter. When the pancake starts bubbling and appears almost cooked (this will only take a few minutes) add a handful of raw bean sprouts on top.

Using great care and spatula, fold the pancake in half on itself so you get a semi-circle shape. Allow to cook for another 30 seconds before sliding onto a plate.

Served with fresh lettuce, mint, basil and mixed fish sauce dipping sauce

I do leave the shell on because growing up my mom always encouraged us to eat the shell to provide us calcium :) I have never made banh khot myself here but in Vietnam I helped my mom and my sister make banh khot before. The reason is I don't have any good cast iron banh khot pan here. Nathan, how did you know of banh khot ?

I do leave the shell on because growing up my mom always encouraged us to eat the shell to provide us calcium :) I have never made banh khot myself here but in Vietnam I helped my mom and my sister make banh khot before. The reason is I don't have any good cast iron banh khot pan here. Nathan, how did you know of banh khot ?

I live about 30 min away from what I understand is the second largest vietnamese community in San Jose Ca. I go there as often as I can to sample the wares and have had banh khot at a couple places. Plenty of places that do banh xeo as well and while I have learned to eat shell on shrimp I don't think I have learned to love them! My favorite banh xeo to date was actualy at a cambodian restaurant in San Francisco that uses ground pork instead of sliced. Are banh khot just cooked in a shaped cast iron pan over fire? I wonder if you could try this with a hot muffin tin in the oven like cooking yorkshire pudding? You would not get round bottom but you might be able to get them crispy on the bottom and cooked thru.

If anyone has not had banh khot, here is a link to Noodlepie's great blog and its banh khot section with pictures of these savory custardy crispy shrimp cupcakes.