• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Food

Looks good Bruce. I'm glad you're keeping this thread going. If only i had time to cook lately i'd be making stuff from Into the Viet. Kitchen as well...

Thank you! Yes, time is a precious resource. I hope you get some time to cook, because I would love to see what you make and compare notes.

Rice soup with chicken from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. For a dinner squeezed in between basketball practice and middle school orientation, this was pretty good. I made the rice soup base a few days ago. Tonight I re-heated the soup, marinated chicken in fish sauce, sauteed an onion and the chicken, mixed everything together, and garnished with cilantro and scallions. Wham bam dinner, with cucumbers on the side.

Next time I'll probably add something with a little texture, like stir-fried or parboiled long beans.

Rice soup with chicken (chao ga)

gallery_42956_2536_4189.jpg

I now have In the Vietnamese Kitchen It is a wonderful book, well organized, and full of great recipes, information and history. Thank you, Andrea, for photo'ing some of the herbs!

But, as I decided to cook from this book today, and didn't feel like heading to the market, I headed to the deep freezer with The Book in hand.

Now, my photo is positively embarrassing in light of what Bruce shows us:

gallery_6263_35_49436.jpg

Pork riblets simmered in caramel sauce. So, I didn't have any pork riblets, but I had some country-style ribs. And, I didn't feel like firing up the Trusty Old Kettle, so I just seared chunks of the country-style ribs in a skillet.

Along side, the water spinach stir-fry with oyster sauce. Except, I used regular spinach because a call to my local Asian market revealed that they only had two bunches of water spinach, and the young lass (who spoke excellent English) said that "my mother wouldn't use these."

And, on the side, a favorite -- a Thai salad of cuke, shallots and birds in a vinegar and sugar syrup.

The cuke salad was the saviour. This pork/caramel dish was VERY rich, and the cuke dish really cut this richness.

As a side note, I had 1.3 pounds of country-style ribs, and it was more than enough for the four of us who would eat dark foods.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Pork riblets simmered in caramel sauce.  So, I didn't have any pork riblets, but I had some country-style ribs.

Allright, Susan! I like your picture – it’s got that depth-of-field thing going on. Cucumber salad and ribs sounds like a great combination. I’m glad to hear that country-style ribs work in this recipe. I’ve had problems finding pork riblets, but mostly I’ve had problems finding the time to cook anything other than quick stir-fries. The boys’ basketball season ended tonight, so I have cooking plans for the rest of this week (after which track season starts, but only on weekends until daylight savings time kicks in).

That’s awesome that the folks in your Asian market are looking out for you. Did you use jasmine rice?

That’s awesome that the folks in your Asian market are looking out for you. Did you use jasmine rice?

Thanks, Bruce. And, I do think, in the spirit of the Aisan cook, like most cooks everywhere, it is all about making do. No spareribs? Country-style ribs for $.99/lb? No brainer, I'd think Andrea's mom would say.

Yes, Jasmine rice. In my circa 1981 rice cooker. The rice cooker was a wedding present, and has not yet let me down. I only buy new crip jasmine, and I actually want to look into the bag to make sure it doesn't any brokens (perhaps why the little old ladies at my Asian market love me). I don't need fuzzy logic when it comes to the cooker. Just something that will work for over a quarter of a century. Do you normally cook jasmine?

jmolinari: Dinner looks delicious, and I’m glad you found the time to make Vietnamese food. What kind of curry powder did you use?

Last night we made salmon soup with tomato, dill, and garlic (canh rieu ca) and shrimp in spicy tamarind sauce (tom rang me) from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. We polished off two pounds of shrimp and most of the soup, even though the boys were “not hungry”. With tamarind ice cubes in the freezer, preparing the shrimp was quick ‘n easy.

The soup was OK – I’ll try it again this summer when we have good tomatoes. Oddly, minced garlic is tossed in just before the soup is served rather than being sauteed with the onions. Jasmine rice on the side and added to the soup.

gallery_42956_2536_28090.jpg

I'm loving "In the Vietnamese Kitchen."

Last night, I made the asparagus and crab soup, but with a couple of variations. I didn't have any crab, but I had a bag of bay scallops. And, I chose to reserve the tips of the asparagus, and puree the rest of the asparagus. So, it was really asparagus puree with tips and scallops, but it was wonderful, although not in the least photogenic.

Tonight:

gallery_6263_35_18040.jpg

A "fusion" meal of Thai and Vietnamese. From "In the Vietnamese Kitchen," garlicky roast chicken and the everyday daikon and carrot salad. From the Thai vein, the cuke, shallot and bird chili salad in a vinegary/sugar syrup, alongside our favorite broccoli (broccoli and garlic, stir fryed, with some of that fermented soybean stuff that looks like baby poop) and jasimine.

Oh, and I had this bottle of some sort of Vietnamese sauce for egg rolls that is sweet and spicy that made a perfect dip for the chicken. My house smells like Maggi, which is a wonderful and comfortaing smell, and the daikon/carrot pickle, well, I'm not going to be without it in the fridge, ever.

If and when anyone makes the garlicky roast chicken, make twice as much as you will eat. The leftovers are diviine; some of the best leftover chicken (as in eaten standing over the sink) you'll ever have. Peter has secreted the last two pieces somewhere in the fridge for his brown-bag school lunch tomorrow.

From the Thai vein, the cuke, shallot and bird chili salad in a vinegary/sugar syrup, alongside  our favorite broccoli (broccoli and garlic, stir fryed, with some of that fermented soybean stuff that looks like baby poop) and jasimine.

Ooh, I would love that dinner. The fermented soybean stuff that looks like baby poop is one of my favorite ingredients, especially with veggies.

If and when anyone makes the garlicky roast chicken, make twice as much as you will eat.  The leftovers are diviine; some of the best leftover chicken (as in eaten standing over the sink) you'll ever have.

Ok, you are very convincing - garlicky roast chicken is penciled in for Sunday.

If and when anyone makes the garlicky roast chicken, make twice as much as you will eat.  The leftovers are diviine; some of the best leftover chicken (as in eaten standing over the sink) you'll ever have.

Ok, you are very convincing - garlicky roast chicken is penciled in for Sunday.

Bruce, if you make the garlicky roast chicken, do see if you can find Maggi sauce (if you don't have any). Much more subtle than soy sauce!

The BF was craving tsang fun (the rice crepes thing you get at dim sum restaurants). I've only had experience helping my mom wrap a similar food, banh cuon, so I offered to make him some since there's no chance of finding a vegan version anywhere in LA for him.

My presentation is sloppy and this was my first attempt at making this on my own (much less a vegan version). He liked it ok, so I say, "mission accomplished!"

Instead of the usual meat/shrimp filling, I fried up some finely chopped fake-meat char siu, onions, garlic, and dried salty cabbage.

IMGP1423.jpg

IMGP1425.jpg

nakedsushi.net (not so much sushi, and not exactly naked)

They're the rolls of fresh herbs, rice noodle and shrimp, pork or other protein, rolled in soft rice paper.

We love summer rolls -- they are great for parties! I make them all the time. Rice paper is sometimes hard to work with in large batches because it dries out fairly quickly.

In order to make summer rolls ahead of serving time, I lay a damp paper towel on top of the serving tray, then cut a piece of wax paper to cover the damp paper towel. Stack the summer rolls on top of the wax paper, as you are making them. (Keep the ones that you've made covered while you are making the next batch - I find that you can make no more than 6 - 8 at time).

When you are finished with assembly, cover the top of the tray of summer rolls with another layer of wax paper and another damp paper towel before wrapping the whole tray with plastic wrap. If you prepare them this way, they do not dry out and I have successfully stored the rolls as long as 12 hours using this method, with no loss of taste or texture. The peanut sauce can be made ahead of time, too. Mine are not as pretty as those served in restaurants, but they taste just as good and they are always gone in a flash!

PS I recently purchased some rice paper that is flavored with shrimp. It looks like there is ground up shrimp in the paper. Has anyone used this product, and if so, are there any special techniques involved, or is it used interchangeably with regular (white) rice paper?

gallery_51874_4337_1236918.jpg

Did you make your own wrappers for the bahn cuon?

No, I bought the pre-made ones from the market. It was such a pain to separate each layer that in the future, I'm just going to make the wrappers myself.

Really?! How do you make your own wrappers? Please do post a pictoral when you do! Good luck!

What do you think of Nguyen's cookbook? How does it differ from other Viet cookbooks, if you have used others?

We adore Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. It seems to cover northern Vietnamese dishes more thoroughly than Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table, but I have been quite pleased with both.

Not coincidentally, tonight’s dinner was from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. I started marinating pork shoulder this morning for char siu. This evening, while the oven was warming up I made the everyday daikon and carrot pickle (do chua). When the oven was up to temperature I threw in the pork, dipping the it in the marinade every ten minutes. I had never made char siu pork before and it was absolutely delicious, especially the caramelized sweet-spicy crust. Now I feel compelled to try Chinese char siu for comparison. :smile:

With the sliced char siu pork, the daikon and carrot pickle, crusty baguettes from the store, mayonnaise, Maggi seasoning, cilantro, and thinly-sliced cucumbers and jalapeno chiles, we made banh mi. Another first for us, and another clear winner.

Char siu pork (thit xa xiu)

gallery_42956_2536_7284.jpg

Banh mi

gallery_42956_2536_13943.jpg

Bruce, looks lovely. I did a chinese-style Char Sui the other day, and am thinking bahn mi or bao in the next few days. I never make bahn mi, mostly because I can get them for a buck and a half at my local market, but i'm inspired.

But, the daikon and carrot pickel. I am loving it, and have decided it is a staple. It is also very good alongside just plain scrambled eggs. And, I'm rediscovering Maggi sauce, and appreciating the subtleness that it displays as opposed to soy sauce.

I'm off to the Asian market tomorrow or Thursday morning, and have every intention of exploring the noodle dishes. My market has a whole aisle of dried noodles, and half a fridge case of fresh ones.

What do you think of Nguyen's cookbook? How does it differ from other Viet cookbooks, if you have used others?

We adore Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. It seems to cover northern Vietnamese dishes more thoroughly than Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table, but I have been quite pleased with both.

Not coincidentally, tonight’s dinner was from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. I started marinating pork shoulder this morning for char siu. This evening, while the oven was warming up I made the everyday daikon and carrot pickle (do chua). When the oven was up to temperature I threw in the pork, dipping the it in the marinade every ten minutes. I had never made char siu pork before and it was absolutely delicious, especially the caramelized sweet-spicy crust. Now I feel compelled to try Chinese char siu for comparison. :smile:

With the sliced char siu pork, the daikon and carrot pickle, crusty baguettes from the store, mayonnaise, Maggi seasoning, cilantro, and thinly-sliced cucumbers and jalapeno chiles, we made banh mi. Another first for us, and another clear winner.

Char siu pork (thit xa xiu)

gallery_42956_2536_7284.jpg

Banh mi

gallery_42956_2536_13943.jpg

Bruce, this has really got to stop...0700 in the morning and I'm ripping the pantry apart with my fingers crossed looking for ingredients to make char siu (nearest Asian store 40 miles away nooooooooo)

Yum! Bruce!

Any leftover char siu for baos?

Dejah, there is a recipe for bao in In the Vietnamese Kitchen, but the dough does not call for yeast, just baking powder for leavening (and it also calls for milk). I'm interested to hear about any experiences with this dough. The Chinese bao dough I've made calls for yeast.