• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to eat on a rainy day?

Every time the rain hit the dry muddy expanse of our garden and aangan (tiled back yard), it would bring with it this sondhi khusboo ( a typical beautiful fragrance, there is no translation for sondhee other than maybe fine).  The minute my family or friends smelled it, it would make us think of pakoras.. all different kinds.. and the next thing... Panditji, our chef would be making up one or two of the different versions.  Cups of tea would be quickly seen in the hands of the elders and chilled milk for us kids.  We loved Milk.

In fact I will now be going and making some pakoras.  Onions, spinach and potato.  

What are you all thinking? eating?  or associate with rain?

PS:  Pakoras are fritters made with a light chickpea flour (besan) batter and spiked with Indian spices.

Suvir, such an endearing thought. Yesterday's rain put me in the same kind of mood as your discussion of Dimple inspired us to go there last night and for the first time. We had a terrific time. There ae so many offerings that I wish I had someone like you to guide us through. I wll try to write more on the dedicated thread.

Suvir,

I just want to say that I find your writing to be evocative and beautiful.  I have little to no experience with India other than several American friends of Indian and Sri Lankan descent.  I have some familiarity with, and love for,  Indian food, but only through restaurants in America and London.  The way you write about India, its people, and its cuisine has truly stirred my curiousity and everytime I read your posts about life there I make a new resolution to go.  I don't post in this forum because I have little to contribute to a discussion of Indian cuisine; however, I never fail to check in here for your wonderful writing and insights into the cuisine and culture of your native land.  Bravo.

Suvir, just curious if your culinary reactions to rain differ in the Northeastern U.S. from in India.  

In the Northeastern U.S. we rarely get two days of rain in a row, except for about a six week period in April and May, and even then three days of even partial rain in a row are rare.  

In recent years we are desperate for rain because of water shortages.  

Different types of rain like a nice dramatic thunderstorm, or a warm sunshower, are both sometimes enjoyed by people.

In India the rainy season is longer and more consistent.  In fact, the rain can be an enemy more than a friend sometimes.

Do the different rainy periods of these two areas affect you differently?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

What a great question jhlurie.  And Damian.. you are kind.  Now I am in tears.  For never did I know mere writing from my pen.. or keyboard would inspirit another.  Thanks.  India is much more than my writing skills can ever make it out to be.  But be ready to embrace all sorts of realities.  Ugly, beautiful, sad and rich, poor and over the top.. they all go side by side.

Rain... I hated the rain in Bombay.  To me the city became as ugly as any can get.  And yet my best friends love the rainy season in Bombay.  Go figure.  

I love the rains in Delhi.  Wow... and especially since they come after a long dry summer.  And as the first drops of rain fall on the dry grass and the parched earth, the matti kee khusbhoo (the fragrance exuded by the dry dirt) fills my senses with happiness and joy and a first after a long summers desire for food.  Fried foods no less.  So yes rain in Delhi is beautiful.

Rains in the hill stations where we spent the summer was even different yet.  It would rain and clear and rainbows would come out and you could walk through rain bows.  Again a very beautiful rain.

In New York I love the rain just slightly.  For some reason people cannot handle rain or snow here.  Traffic gets crazy and slow and like Bombay, NYC becomes somewhat dreary.  But our deck gets fullof cheer and a home for birds to be dry in.  So it is beautiful to look out to. I have learned to enjoy Delhi through NYC and what I miss from India.. I enjoy just as much here.  Often my fantasy and dreams make a reality so far away from home much richer and fabulous than the reality of my real home.  The power of our minds.

And then the rains in India can be enemies of people and lands.  Floods and deaths and drought.  All come one after another... Some years floods.. and deaths from floods and then another year drought and death from hunger that follows droughts.  

But in India the seasons are romanced in a manner we do not romance our four seasons.  There are songs, foods, dances, perfumes, animals and paintings associated with the change of seaons.  As I live in NYC.. I recreate some of that in my apartment in Greenwich village.

Like as I write this I am humming a song from a movie called Rudaali.  Based in the life in a dessert and in a period of drought.  And the lead characted this professional mourner (Rudaali - a hired person who comes at funerals and cries for pay.  So that those family members that are shocked and have not been able to cry can find tears and for those rich families that can afford one anyways... it is a s how of great sorrow for t he parted soul) in the film makes a comment about how her own eyes are as parched as the earth dry from the long drought.

And when the rain finally comes, the songs, dance, the animal and bird life, the celebration and food and people all take a new life.  That image came to my mind.

But everytime it rains in NYC and I wish it would rain more this year since we need it, I end up having food cravings like those in India would.  Like today I had the craving for Pakoras and Chai.  And they are great in this weather.  Makes being indoors seem cheery and worthwhile.

In India the image that crosses most minds is that of the Peacock spreading its wings to charm those that witness him and also to shower himself.  They look grand and happy as the rain drenches their wings.  And the image of the peacock takes me to limericks that enrich the many Indian languages with little verses that rhyme and are written based on animals and foods.

I hope I answered your question.. if there is anything particular that you wanted to know jhlurie and I left out with my long note... please bring it out and I shall answer more directly.  Thanks for indulging me and my madness about life.