• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The sad state of Japanese in Richmond

The state of Japanese is getting very sad out here in the flatlands. There was a time, not that long ago when you couldn't go wrong stepping into any raw fish and noodle joint, which are more plentiful than late model Mercedes in the parking lot at Yaohan out here.

Pre-babies we had a weekly Thursday night ritual of Japanese at whatever was our current favourite, then home for Seinfeld. (Off topic, the days pre-PVR seem odd, imagine having to be somewhere at a particular time to watch TV, seems weird.) The quality of wherever we'd go was superb, tempura udon was savory, fish was fresh, clean and cold.

Kids came and we started getting takeaway Japanese from FuKaRoKu under Superstore (Motto; We're just like Walmart, but without guns!) Finally, the quality deteriorated to the point where we had to find somewhere else. You knew there was a problem when the speed of production increased. What used to take them a half hour slimmed down to the point where once you ran upstairs to get diapers (and in those days, we never passed an opportunity to buy diapers) your order would be cold by the time you got back. (Again off topic, they have a maki roll making machine there that while it turns out horrid product, it fascinating to watch operate. It'sd be cool to have one at home. Even better woiuld be to have a personal sushi butler at home though.)

Assorted other places were added and subtracted from the rota, finally last night was the final straw, I'm done with Japanese for dinner in Richmond. The quality in every single establishment we frequent has fallen so far that it's now inedible, and I have a theory why.

Originally the all you can eat sushi joint was a novelty, all you can eat menus became more popular outside of the traditional dining hours. Soon, they became more and more popular, to the point now where I can't think of too many places that don't offer them. The problem is when you order off the regular menu, you're getting food prepared for the all you can eat crowd, aka the gluttons, and corespondingly, the quality has fallen off the map, while the price has risen. It's a shame. I can think of a few very small little joints that haven't gone in for this craze, but please, enough already. The fish is old and nasty. The soups flavorless or worse muddy, tempura greasy and cold.

There is some light however. Nan Chu, the Richmond branch of Gyoza King is superb, although some of the funky exotic charm of the Robson location has been swapped out for slick hipness a la Hapa. For fish at lunch I've taken to getting takeaway from Fujiya on Bridgeport, which is frightening that pre-made sushi outperforms most Richmond "fresh" made, and it has the added advantage of being dirt cheap, whereas most of its' competitors are just going for the "dirt" side of the equasion.

All I want is a good simple place to get cheap well made soup and a sushi combo on week nights.

What about Kiyo?

I've been a couple times and the sushi has always seemed of a good standard. They have cold undon noodle that has a nice slickness and chew. It is resolutely Japanese run - in a good way.

What was the final straw that has caused you to lose faith my son?

But I agree with you on the all you can eat sushi thing - it is simply terrible.

Where is Kiyo?

And last nights meal was bad, yes, but more importantly was the first time that both the spouse and myself realized that we keep eating these crap meals that neither of us enjoy out of habit. I have a life philosphy that empowers me never to eat anything that isn't delicious, which is an easy way to live in Richmond, and cheap too.

Right, I know the place, went there years ago. Must be good as it suffers from what is surely the WORST LOCATION FOR A RESTAURANT IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE. I know "veiw" places are overarted and out of fashion, but having a view of the grease traps and dumpsters of DQ is taking things a little too far in the opposite direction.

I'll try it again.

Ugh, I long for the demise of those big top "gorge shops".

Kiyo is my only Richmond sashimi place. Heads up Keith: they are closed on Mondays. Not sure if they have changed their selective weekend hours. I frequent Sushihan (#2+Blundell) for the usual rolls, and Sushi Ten (#1+Moncton) for homestyle rice bowls.

Please do share your favourite Richmond dining destinations (or is that venturing into a new topic?). Trying to find (and keep) good ones leads me to become a better cook at home. :rolleyes:

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

Hi Keith,

I totally agree with you about the sad state of Japanese restaurants in Richmond. A former Richmondite myself, I used to frequent 2-3 restaurants that were fairly decent. Now I only go to one - Kiyo Sushi. I love the sushi there so much that once I actually ate there for lunch (I work 5 mins away) and dragged my husband back for dinner! The sushi is always fresh and is comparable to other well-run Japanenese restaurants like Tama Sushi. They even have my favorite grilled hamachi head..yum :laugh: ..If you like sashimi, you should try the Kyoto Style Chirashi Don and if you feel like splurging, go for their kaiseki...I've seen people order it and it looks very good..Reminds me of Tojo's kaiseki but at a more reasonable price I'm sure. Service is so-so because they are always busy but its sufficient. Lunch time 12-1 is very busy and it tends to get busy for dinner at around 7:30..so reservations are recommended. Good Luck!

Audrey

Yeah, I know the one, been there before, (and Oriental Delight is now gone). There was another one that we frequented next doorin the new building across the parking lot that was quite good on the second floor.

And Kiyo has been added to next weeks agenda.

There was another one that we frequented next doorin the new building across the parking lot that was quite good on the second floor.

I've been to that one before too. I think it was called Wasabi when I was in high school, and then they changed the name. Is it still there? Their fish was quite fresh. I went to Tsukiji on a Tuesday night, and we got the waitress to bring whatever was flown in that day.

What about Seto, on Alexandra Road? It used to be at a different location on Alexandra Road, but they took over some other sushi place's location. The people there actually speak Japanese :biggrin: I was there on Monday, and had really good sushi. We had the spider roll & the house roll (which is giant, & has crispy tempura inside. We also got this dish called "bandaku" or something, which was a bean-curd pocket that was deep-fried with a raw egg inside, in a sorta soya sauce. One other thing - when you order the salmon sashimi, you can choose either wild salmon or farmed salmon (our waiter didn't tell us, but my friend told me AFTER I ordered...). I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at Seto.