• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New Whole Foods

franktex

So . . . Do tell us what a "college kid" buys at a grocery like that. Inquiring minds want to know. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

So . . . Do tell us what a "college kid" buys at a grocery like that. Inquiring minds want to know.  :biggrin:

Groovy Gruyere Doritos and Beer, right? But seriously folks, I'm with FTex on the unTexan vibe of the Whole Foods chain now. Central Market is a Byzantine mouse maze, but there is a general, "Y'all come back now and spend another $75 on cheese, y'hear?" thing going on.

as an aside, i think you all should know what i overheard a customer say while at the seafood counter: "i'm having multiple orgasms right now just LOOKING at all of this!"

anyhow, i just finished eating a simple and amazing snack: seared scallops, served with a bottle of mango habanero hot sauce that i picked up today at tears of joy. those babies weren't cheap, but sooo worth it.

for fifi, the abridged version of my grocery list:

1 lb wild scallops

1 lb wild coho salmon steaks (this i can't get enough of; in san marcos, you can't get anything non-farm-raised)

a lovely hunk of parm-reg

a TON of produce (asparagus, tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, spinach)

a bottle of cheap WFM merlot

the requisite beer: 6 pack of lamar st. pale ale (they have a beer alley! imagine my delight.)

freshly baked sourdough

a lovely bouquet of casablanca lilies

and other assorted spices, herbs, etc.

i'm too hyper now--too much SXSW madness for me in one day!

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

shouts . . . You make my college days almost laughable. Reading your list I can only remember our Kraft Mac & Cheese with tuna casserole on Fridays. (We were Catholic then.) :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 weeks later...

I went on the Friday during spring break at 1:30 for lunch and a little shopping. After queuing up and eventually finding a parking space and making my way into bowels of the store with my two boys, I pretty much turned around and left and went to Central Market. If there had been half the people there it might have been doable, but it was just a total CF. I was also peeved at their tea selection. They had no regular-old loose leaf black tea (e.g., English Breakfast, Yorkshire Gold, Typhoo) in tins. CM South Lamar has the best selection and CM North Lamar has a tolerable selection, but Whole Foods must be have something against a proper cup of English tea!

(edited for typo)

Edited by Lita (log)

I went over this past weekend and I have to say I was underwhelmed. It just seems like they offer more volume of their same stuff, or at least where I was looking (produce and seafood). CM still offers a greater variety of both, so that's where I'll stay. And scratch my comment above in regards to them using the Harry's concept here. Guess it would look too similar to CM.