• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yummy Honeymoon Advice

iris

After tossing around destinations ranging from Argentina to South Africa, my sweetie and I have decided that we would like to take a honeymoon closer to home. We're getting married in Park City, Utah at the end of May and plan to return to Durham (our new home) to depart for a brief trip June 2nd - 6th.

We'd like to go somewhere within a day's drive where we can have a few luxurious dinners and some good local food. Right now, we're considering Charleston, but we'd appreciate any advice about other destinations, as well as where to eat (and stay, B&B-wise). We're new to the Southeast and haven't done much exploring outside of the Triangle. If you had four days for a romantic, culinary trip in the South, where would you go?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Congrats and best wishes! I'd consider Asheville. The weather will be great there in June, there are lots of good restaurants. If you're into hiking, the Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby and there are many nice hikes in the area. (If you're not into hiking, it's still fun to take a drive on the parkway.) If you're looking for a large hotel, the Grove Park Inn and the Inn on Biltmore Estate are always highly recommended. Or you can find a B & B on the Asheville BBA website.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Thanks, munchymom. Asheville is actually the only place outside of the Triangle we *have* visited (except for a few hours in Beaufort). We loved it there, but I think we'd rather go somewhere new, maybe outside of North Carolina, since we're likely to travel around this state over weekends in the near future.

Maybe I would be a better postee if I asked a more specific question. How about this: is Charleston a good honeymoon choice for two people who really like to eat good food? Will this opportunity to splurge a little be well-rewarded there?

How about this: is Charleston a good honeymoon choice for two people who really like to eat good food? Will this opportunity to splurge a little be well-rewarded there?

Charleston would be a lovely place for a honeymoon. Food generally very good (I've not been in long enough that I'll defer on specifics) and it's a great town for romantic walks and so forth. Lots of inns and B&Bs to choose from as well.

It will be warm in June, but not as swelteringly hot as later in the summer.

Another romantic option in the southeast is Savannah. Not as well known for the food, but you can eat quite well there.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Well, Charleston is nice, but I'd travel a bit further and go to Savannah. It is a VERY romantic town with some great dining options and wonderful atmosphere. We got engaged there and will be spending our 5th anniversary there this March. If you go, I highly recommend the Ballastone, a B&B with sumptious rooms that's near everything but not too near the River Street area where it can get noisy. You can spend several days just walking the squares, visiting the shops and homes and gardens, and eating and drinking.The ghost tour is a must-do as well. Throw in a day at Tybee and I think you have a perfect, romantic 4 days.

Dinner options: The Olde Pink House, 45 South, Gottlieb's, Elizabeth's on 37th, and the Crab Shack of Tybee.

If you opt for Charleston, beware. The annual Spoleto Festival will be in full swing. Though this is a wonderful time to be in Charleston, you must get hopping if you want reservations.

Within a day's drive of Durham, I really can't think of a better location if your main focus will be dining destinations. There are numerous charming inns and some very good restaurants. Plus, you can make a trip to Bowen's Island (a hole-in-the-wall spot) for a great evening sitting on the deck overlooking the salt marshes.

The Spoleto Festival may very well be enough for you to consider elsewhere. Savannah is indeed a great choice, and although it's a bit of a haul to get down there from Durham, it might be what you're looking for.

Of course, you could go all out and head up to The Inn at Little Washington. You're sure to be pampered there.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It pains me a little to say this, but if you're going to stay in one place for a few days, Charleston is probably a better bet. Savannah is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but Charleston is older and better preserved historically (so there's more to see). And while I don't know the dining scene as well as I do Savannah's, from what I've seen, there are more and better options on the high end. That said, if it's packed with Spoleto crowds, all bets are off.

Another way to go would be what we did on our honeymoon: start in Savannah and drive slowly up the coast. You can spend a few days in Savannah and Charleston and then head up to Wilmington. The three cities make an interesting contrast in terms of architecture, history and preservation. And there's lots of great food choices in each.

My son and his wife took over the Eliza Thompson House B&B in Savannah for a wedding weekend 3 years ago. Lovely old rooms and a gorgeous courtyard with breakfast in or out. Breakfasts not special, but OK. Charm galore.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Thanks for all the great advice! This was a very hard decision to make, but we have decided to battle the Spoleto crowds (maybe even join them) and spend our honeymoon in Charleston. We have reservations at the Charleston Grill and Sienna. We're also spending one night in Summerville and will be dining at the Woodlands Inn restaurant, where we are looking forward to the "ultimate tasting menu."

We have one night without dinner plans. I am not an oyster fan, so Bowen's Island is out. I was intrigued by the deep fried bacon-wrapped shrimp on the menu at Aw Shucks. Any comments on that place? Could we do better for get-our-hands-dirty local food? I've read the previous threads on Charleston, but if there are any other hidden treasures, I am all ears (eyes? fingers? monitor?).

Thanks for all the great advice! This was a very hard decision to make, but we have decided to battle the Spoleto crowds (maybe even join them) and spend our honeymoon in Charleston. We have reservations at the Charleston Grill and Sienna. We're also spending one night in Summerville and will be dining at the Woodlands Inn restaurant, where we are looking forward to the "ultimate tasting menu."

We have one night without dinner plans. I am not an oyster fan, so Bowen's Island is out. I was intrigued by the deep fried bacon-wrapped shrimp on the menu at Aw Shucks. Any comments on that place? Could we do better for get-our-hands-dirty local food? I've read the previous threads on Charleston, but if there are any other hidden treasures, I am all ears (eyes? fingers? monitor?).

Don't know where you heard about A Shucks, but I would skip it - touristy and mediocre. Bowen's is not limited to oysters, but it sounds as if you may not want to venture out of the historic district, and Bowen's is about a 25 minute drive from downtown.

Check out the Hominy Grill for down-home inspired cuisine. Or, if you are willing to drive to Mt Pleasant, you can visit The Wreck - a local favorite. It is a bit hard to find, but you will get real local color right down to the boiled peanuts they give you when seated. Here's what Holly Moore has to say The Wreck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The food in Charleston is incredible! Best wishes for a wonderful honeymoon. We had excellent meals at S.N.O.B. (Slightly North of Broad), Anson (get their signature deep fried fish), and... hmmm... Magnolia's? Didn't do much in the way of get-yer-hands-dirty local stuff. We had read good things about Jestine's but our host recommended against it. Your mileage may vary.

As for places to stay we thought the Hayne House was wonderful. If you're splurging, though, there's nothing quite as upscale as Wentworth Mansion -- I think rooms start at $400/night or something equally breathtaking. Then again, you won't get the incredible cheddar grits casserole or homemade biscuits with fig jam that you'd be eating at Hayne House...

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Thanks for all the good advice. We are staying at the Vendue Inn, which I picked because of the rooftop bar and the devastatingly lovely bathtub pictured on their website. We are also spending a night at a B&B in Summerville when we eat at the Woodlands Inn restaurant.

We'll skip Aw Shucks, based on the poor rec. here and might try Hominy Grill or Anson instead (deep fried fish = dirty hands = happy me).

Since the inn offers a huge breakfast, I suspect we'll just be snacking for lunch. I'd love to hear about any specialty shops or markets that are worth visiting.

I can't wait! Is it June yet?

Thanks for all the good advice. We are staying at the Vendue Inn, which I picked because of the rooftop bar and the devastatingly lovely bathtub pictured on their website.

Since the inn offers a huge breakfast, I suspect we'll just be snacking for lunch.  I'd love to hear about any specialty shops or markets that are worth visiting.

Vendue Inn is an excellent choice! Right downtown and convenient to everything ... shops lining the streets in that vicinity .. restaurants for a quick bite or long meal since breakfast lasts only just so long ... :laugh: Vendue Inn is just lovely .. very romantic and elegant!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Since the inn offers a huge breakfast, I suspect we'll just be snacking for lunch.  I'd love to hear about any specialty shops or markets that are worth visiting.

There is an incredibly tasty little chocolate shop near the main brick market. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but it was the only one we saw. It was in our guidebook, so we stopped by, and the woman who ran the shop didn't even know she was in the book. The chocolate was Dutch, I believe.

(Not so helpful, but if you happen to walk past a first-floor chocolate shop about halfway through the market, go in!)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media