• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Granville Island Market

As a vendor on Granville Island, I can attest to the fact that the administration of the Island is not trying driving to drive anyone out or raise rents beyond reasonable rates. Attached is a reponse from Granville Island on the matter...

"I would like to assure you that CMHC values the contribution that the artisan and the cultural community make to Granville Island. The concentration of these tenants is a key attribute, which helps differentiate the Island from other shopping destinations, and we have no intentions of changing this feature now or in the foreseeable future.

When a Granville Island tenant’s lease expires, CMHC enters into a new lease with that tenant to maintain continuity in our tenant mix. If a lease is up for renewal, this does not in any way indicate that the tenant’s future on Granville Island is at risk. Each lease is negotiated individually on a case by case basis, and we have offered to work with each tenant to ensure that any increases are manageable. With respect to the Crafts Association of British Columbia, I would like to assure you that we will be in contact with them to ensure that any increase in rent is in fact manageable for them.

Although some tenants may have recently experienced an increase in rent in order to align the costs with those of other Granville Island tenants in the same category, our cultural and artisan tenants continue to receive extremely favourable rental rates compared with commercial rates. This is an intentional decision to support those tenants who generate modest revenues, but who contribute significantly to the character and ambience of the Island. Currently, rents for our cultural and artisan tenants on Granville Island range from $3 to $12 per square foot, with the majority of these tenants paying at least $6 per square foot or more. In comparison, commercial rents on Granville Island range from $45 to $65 per square foot plus a percentage of sales. More specifically, rents on Robson Street – a commercial area – average $100 to $200 per square foot.

CMHC’s Leasing Guidelines are available on our Web site at: www.granvilleisland.com/en/island_info/granville_island_administration/leasing_information. If you would like a copy mailed directly to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at (604) 666 8767 or by e mail at lsiracus@cmhc-schl.gc.ca.

CMHC also continues to support independent, local businesses with unique offerings, as this is part of the formula that has made Granville Island the huge success that it is today. To that end, we will not be allowing franchise stores or large retail corporations to operate on Granville Island.

CMHC continues to embrace the values articulated in the original City of Vancouver Reference Document for Granville Island. You may refer to this online at: http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/000713/Pe3.htm.

As you may also be aware, CMHC works with the Artists & Artisans of Granville Island in assisting with the production of their brochure and the recent launch of their Web site, which may be viewed at: www.granvilleislandartists.com.

I hope that this letter clarifies CMHC’s position concerning artisan and cultural tenants and allays any concerns that you may have had. Indeed, we prefer to focus on the exciting future in store for Granville Island, a future that includes all of our artisan and cultural tenants.

Please accept my best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Lino Siracusa

Director, Granville Island"

I heard that CMHC was trying to get rid of Sea Village too. I hope it is not true.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Actually I think what they are doing is pretty reasonable and interesting so far. Their communications strategy needs to improve though.

If you want to learn more, and fill in a feedback form, visit Island Insight.

Nine principles inform and serve as a reference point for the Island Insight project. These are:

Retain and enhance the Granville Island experience

Maintain an accessible destination for all people

Preserve and build on the historic character of Granville Island

Encourage alternative forms of access

Ensure barrier-free access

Support sustainable development initiatives - economic, social and environmental (Triple Bottom Line)

Promote safety and security

Ensure financial sustainability

Take an incremental approach to change

Cheers,

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

Shameless self promotion- but if anyone is down at the Island this weekend, stop by Edible BC as we are having our second annual BC Day sale with everything 10-50% off! We are also launching a line of new sandwiches and salads called "EAT LOCAL" by Chef Murray Bancroft.

What better way to celebrate BC Day than with great local food!

We hope to see you this weekend!

Cheers,

Eric