• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where is "your" place?

PaoPao

Talking to a great friend of mine last night, he mentioned that he and his girlfriend consider a certain restaurant "their" special place. In the same vein as a couple referring to a song as "their" song. A place where you take your Honey Bunny to that always bring's out the Amore. Theirs by the way is Le Crocodile.

I'm not sure we are as loyal to just one because of our constant 'hunger' to discover new places.

Anyone else hold a special eatery in a regard of considering it "your" special place?

Our place would have to be "C". We had our wedding reception and 5 of our 6 wedding anniversaries there. For less indulgence nights we frequent Umami where we have got to know the chef/owner/sommelier very well.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

McDonalds?

Seriously, back in our courtin' days (those would be the 1980's), it was one particular Keg in Toronto. Once we grew up and developed an appreciation for good, interesting food, "our" place became Monsoon (again in Toronto).

Sadly, nothing has become "our" place here in Vancouver. Yet.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

In Vancouver, it's Il Giardino. My wife and I were married in the courtyard.

There is a little hamburger shack on Pender Island at the ferry terminal.

Triple O cafeteria on any BC Ferry.

In Victoria, it's Torrefazione on Government Street. We can't visit my old hometown without a few hours sipping on their patio, regardless of weather. Also the Blue Fox and Herald Street. Steamer's, too. Plus Foo Hong's.

In Toronto, where we met and fell in love it's Prego, SpaHa, and Cafe le Gaffe.

England, the American Bar at the Savoy.

We bring the love wherever.... :wub:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

In Vancouver, it's Il Giardino. My wife and I were married in the courtyard.

Seriously? My bosses got engaged there.....(to each other)

Probably not that shocking actually, I'm sure it's a frequent spot for weddings and engagements, being all romantic and what not!! :biggrin:

Our spot is Fiction, because when we were first dating we used to go there ALL the time and get stupid drunk off martinis and.... well it was always a good time anyway!! :biggrin::wub::biggrin: I love going there....the lighting, the finger food, the fanTAStic booze selection....there's something quite romantic about it....of course if I could afford it, it would be Lumiere, but that's slightly out of our price range 99% of the time.

Edited by Megs (log)

"Never eat more than you can lift" -Miss Piggy

Not a restuarant, but J & I honeymooned at Point No Point Resort. We go back as often as we can (afford).

Thanks, Arne. I forgot to mention PNP.

One of the most beautiful places on the island that is close to Victoria (I haven't been to the Aerie yet). We go once a year.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

In Victoria, it's Torrefazione on Government Street. We can't visit my old hometown without a few hours sipping on their patio, regardless of weather. Also the Blue Fox and Herald Street. Steamer's, too. Plus Foo Hong's.

FOO HONGS! HOORAY FOR FOO HONGS! I too am an "Islander" and have many fond memories of Foo Hongs! My parents used to take me there when we were all having a night out and I would shriek with glee (I would have been about 5 when I started this) FOO HONG CHOP SUEY, and then giggle madly. And the Blue Fox is a FABULOUS victoria breakfast place.

Memories...

Our place would be Cardero's...we went there for our first date and Mr. Sasskitty had the worst oyster burger ever :raz: We also had an amazing waiter who made the evening perfect and memorable for us!

It was the Cafe de Paris. Not anymore though.

In Seattle it's Le Pichet.

Where, no doubt, you pichet a little woo?

I can hardly wait to hear from the Hon. Mr. Talent--I suspect that Chatters will figure highly. Or he'll ask me to refrain from the posting of what he considers cheap and irreverant puns but what my family and friends actually recognize to be tired and recycled puns.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I'm starting a petition to have Jamie banned until he signs a declaration promising to pun no more.

Anyway, next door to the Point No Point is the Fossil Bay Resort, which is superior to my mind. More private, smaller and more importantly, more private. It's as pretty as Long Beach, with out the death march-like commute. Nothing to do in the area, with perhaps the exception of driving to River Jordan to watch the surfers. Plus across the street from the beach is a retaurant/takeaway window with quite easily the worst coffee in the universe. Fries are greasy too. Strangely it seems charming rather than irritating. When you're the only place within twenty miles, you don't have to try too hard.

And I'll say it at risk of bring down the wrath of the thousands of Tofino lovers here, the beaches are better at that end of the island. Maybe not quite as scenic, but every bit as rugged, and at this time of the year completely deserted. And I mean completely.

For my Wife and I it's the http://www.aubergedusoleil.com/ . Nothing beats the view from the dining room terrace and Napa Valley is awesome.

Wow, this place brings back the memories. Unfortunately mine are delivering bicycles from the local bike shop I worked at in St. Helena to the guests.

I'll never forget dropping 4 bikes off to this one family who we're just finishing breakfast in the restaurant. Their bill and tip was approx. equal to a weeks pay for me at the time. :shock:

Absolutely amazing place though.

I wish I could say "our " place was somewhere fancy, but it isn't. For a date night, we most often head to Appollonia, score the table in the window and settle in for the night. Bottle of wine and a (very) generous meal later, we stumble the few blocks home laden with leftovers.

< Linda >

"Our Place" will always be Lumiere - first time we went there, we got engaged (well later that night; after a three-hour tasting menu, you try getting on one knee! :biggrin: ).

But more frequent 'our place's these days are Coco Pazzo and Fish Cafe. Moved to south Cambie a year ago and these are the places we go when we feel like a good meal and a very short drive.

I think that this would be Le Crocodile for us - I should say for me - I have not consulted my wife on this.

The food, service, and the overall special treatment makes this a forever favourite. We try and sneak in every now and then and have a few snacks at the bar - telling the staff not to tell Michel or Franck that we are there. Michel is a gracious host and lots of little treats come out of the kitchen. It is worse when Michel is not there, Franck sends out more stuff just to make sure all the bases are covered. I can't eat like that all the time and sometimes just want a couple of things, a drink and then hit the road. It is hard to slip in and out unnoticed but we have been successful half of the time.

When we decide to go for the full out dinner, I just love it. I do not eat lunch and refrain from snacking so I am in full dining condition. I have never had a bad item here in all the years we have been going. I did have to take one for the team when Michel sent out two orders of frogs legs. Joan was about 8 months pregnant and this was just not happening. Although I had never had frog legs before, I did enjoy mine, I just did not enjoy having to eat the second order as well. This was also the time that I appreciated the half bottle collection that they had. I had never needed to venture in the half bottles before. BTW, I noticed West had a great half bottle collection. Are there any other restaurants out there with good half bottle lists ? Just curious.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 11 months later...
"Our Place" will always be Lumiere - first time we went there, we got engaged (well later that night; after a three-hour tasting menu, you try getting on one knee!  :biggrin:  ).

But more frequent 'our place's these days are Coco Pazzo and Fish Cafe.  Moved to south Cambie a year ago and these are the places we go when we feel like a good meal and a very short drive.

Come say hi when you come in, Marcus

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

Back when we actually lived in Vancouver (Granville & the teens) it was Ouisi.

Great for hangover Sundays when we had to get out of our tiny apartment. Only a couple blocks from home. Close to all the other stuff we liked to do on Granville.

Great food, a lot of it spicy. My wife still recreates the Devil Fruit.

Bradley Cooper

You should be reading my blog!

WINE & VINE BC

^ Dai Maru in Richmond.

I've had many gut busting nights there with Sandy back in the "old days".

Otherwise more recently it's been at the Cannery over some Reisling and their mussel platter with chorizo and pine nuts.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

We have a few "places," but the one that stands out in my head (right now, at least) would be The Templeton on Granville. The girls know us pretty well now and as odd as it sounds, it's nice to be treated like "a regular."

(But I never cause a scene if anyone sits in "our booth.")

The food is pretty good, not outstanding, but I think we go in there more for the atmosphere and the conversations with the servers.

That, and the candy whirl ice cream sundaes Danielle makes us. :wub:

I think I speak for Snacky-cat and myself when I say that Hamilton Street Grill and Senhor Roosters would have to be our special places. Both Neil and Daniel are gracious hosts offering excellent food and value. (Snacky is off teaching a course and eating her way through Toronto for two weeks in case you've noticed her lack of posts of late.)

Well it's not exactly my honey bunny...but we get mistaken for that all the time at Granville Island - my buddy ordering copius amounts of the duck prosciutto at Oyama and me standing beside when the clerk inevitably asks, "Are you together?", in which I always respond, "Were Hetrosexual Life Partners, but no, we're not together!"

Me and my Hetrosexual Life Partner eat Wings at the Regal Begal on Broadway - if we manage to last it's the ridiculously cheap mound of pate at the Smoking Dog and hope to hell they have the foie gras sauced Veal Chop on special.

Just a couple of blocks away, my favourite hangout would be Feenie's. My loyalty first developed when I was in the process of renovating a year ago and would show up for lunch in casual clothes (actually covered in paint) and they treated me well regardless of the state of my attire. Now that renovations are somewhat complete and I have a washing machine working, I tend to show up better dressed and they always do their best to find a table for me. Good food, reasonable prices, great atmosphere!

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."