• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where is "your" place?

PaoPao

Depends upon who it is with....smile.....my daughter despite my ex husbands and my efforts to educate her palate has a very "elementary" palate. Her idea of a great night out is White Spot. White Spot has some sentimental memories for us because when I was younger and a single parent and a struggling student we could only afford a night out to White Spot to buy her the pirate pack. After I graduated and got a job as a social worker, I took my first pay check and took her to White Spot as that was her choice. We would go every pay day. I think to this day now that she is grown up and married, she still chooses it for birthdays,etc., because it has pleasant childhood associations. So I suppose although it does not have pate,cavier and champagne...sometimes we forgo gourmand delights for sentiment. Personally, I used to love their hamburgers but I now find them quite awful..not sure what they did to them but if I go with my daughter and her husband, I can eat them.

Samasutra

thank goodness, we do not have to go there often..sometimes she lets us pick and we compromise

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

Depends upon who it is with....smile.....my daughter despite my ex husbands and my efforts to educate her palate has a very "elementary" palate. Her idea of a great night out is White Spot. White Spot has some sentimental memories for us because when I was younger and a single parent and a struggling student we could only afford a night out to White Spot to buy her the pirate pack. After I graduated and got a job as a social worker, I took my first pay check and took her to White Spot as that was her choice. We would go every pay day. I think to this day now that she is grown up and married, she still chooses it for birthdays,etc., because it has pleasant childhood associations. So I suppose although it does not have pate,cavier and champagne...sometimes we forgo gourmand delights for sentiment. Personally, I used to love their hamburgers but I now find them quite awful..not sure what they did to them but if I go with my daughter and her husband, I can eat them.

Samasutra

thank goodness, we do not have to go there often..sometimes she lets us pick and we compromise

Oh I so agree about going to places for sentimental value..but it IS hard to go back! Years ago when we were starving students, my partner and I lived in a rotten area of Surrey. The saving grace was easy access to White Rock and we used to regularly go to Charlie Don't Surf where we would split an order of calamari and the grand marnier cheesecake, and have specialty coffees (odd combo I know, but then some say the same about the 2 of us :wink: ).

A few months ago we went back to revisit old times. but since our tastes have improved it was not a great experience (not to mention the effort of getting to White Rock by transit from downtown!!). Not that we ever thought it was a great place to go, but it was "our" place and it was a real letdown. Ah well.

We don't really have a "place" here in Vancouver since he lives on the Island (living apart, the secret to relationship longevity, I tell ya), but since it's in the neighbourhood, we end up at Central a lot. Always totally enjoyable for a casual meal :smile:

**Melanie**

• 4 years later...

Nook is a great hangout - we drop by for a quick pizza or two, enjoy a bottle of wine, and a short walk home.

Long's on Main Street - the waitress (and owner?) always remembers us, knows our favs, and somehow manages to find us a spot in that tiny room that's inevitably packed.

Kei's bakery - I don't go often enough, but whenever I see Hiroshi and Kaori it's "Hisashiburi da ne~" = long time no see! I like that. :blush:

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 4 weeks later...

We've been going to the Dundarave Fish Market for years now, on special occasions (like my 50th birthday) and when good friends are in town. The menu is interesting, with some great appies (the riptide squid is a must) and entrees that let your choose the fish and the sauce that goes with it. But tonight was a bit off. I asked, as I usually do, the server for her recommendation and she said the halibut. Fine, I order it as does my mother-in-law, with a ginger sauce. Very very disappointing. The fish on both of our plates a was cooked to death: dry and mealy. No amount of sauce could help it. That's the first time this has happened to me at this restaurant. Usually the fish is cooked perfectly. Not tonight: horribly overcooked fish and slightly undercooked vegetables. New chef? i don't know, but I need a new local seafood place.

Paul B

There's a new one opened up at 2nd and Lonsdale (can't remember the name sorry), I keep meaning to try as it looks pretty good. But our garden is spring-ing up now, and we're eating out of it every day.

That only steels my resolve to get down there and try it. Gusto di Quatro has been fairly alone with quality dining in that neighbourhood (and doing it badly IMO), so I'm pretty jazzed to have a great local restaurant. Very pleased to see the ocean wise commitment. So, to the OP, ask me next year, it might be Fishworks.

• 3 months later...

There is no our place for me in this city. That said, the place I've been frequenting is Guu Garden. There is such a relaxed vibe here which I don't find too often. It is a shame to find a good place and then it closes down before you return. All the best intentions aside, it is hard to commit to just one place when there are so many eateries to choose from.

• 1 month later...

Vancouver has so many good restaraunts, we spend way too much money going out..

the regional tasting lounge in yaletown is good quality, nice wine collection too

Taki sushi is my favorite sushi place, the taki roll is amazing and the sashimi is always very good

I will always have a soft spot for Dona Catas. They have about 6 kinds of meats they slow cook all day and you get whatever you want in a taco for $2.50 - it can't be beat.

but yeah, Le Crocodile is our favorite when we can afford it