• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Johnny's Hot Dogs

Vancouver

Passed by Johnny's yesterday and noticed it was closed. (ok, I'm slow.) I read the sign on the door and it mentioned failure to pay rent. Did they move someplace else? Go out of business? Do they still have a store someplace on the North Shore?

Cheers!

As far as I know the entire empire is closed.

It was reported in a couple of papers - maybe the Straight. He's off doing property development or something like than now.

Cheers,

Anne

I don't know if they still sell them, but Costco used to sell the All Beef Sinai Kosher Hot Dogs.  They were killer.

Costco no longer sells the Hebrew National dogs :sad: The whole BSE thing just messed up cross-border meat transport. However, they still have one of the best $2 dinners you'll ever have.

A.

Go for a "Double Dog" and some good fries at the Red Onion on 41st in Kerrisdale.

Double Dog at Red Onion gets our vote as well!

Too bad about Jonny's, the product was good, the concept was good, the service sucked! It was at best disinterested, at worst snarly. Vancouverites will put up with a mediocre product when the service is great, the staff friendly and happy to serve but won't put up with really bad or really unfriendly service, even if the product is excellent!

There's always Pino's famous Italian Sausage at Cioppinos. Best I've ever tasted, hands down.

Yes, but will he put it in a bun, slather it with condiments and allow you to eat it standing outside the front door of his restaurant?

When we lived in Yaletown, we always stopped by the hot dog cart parked on the corner of Davie and Hamilton on our stumble home after a late night of drinking. Hot dogs always taste so much better at 2:30 a.m. Extra sauerkraut for me please.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

is it wrong to really like orange julius hot dogs?

they steam the bun when I get a cheese dog, making it soft and wonderful.

MMMM. Chicago Dogs from Orange Julius.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Yes, but will he put it in a bun, slather it with condiments and allow you to eat it standing outside the front door of his restaurant?

When we lived in Yaletown, we always stopped by the hot dog cart parked on the corner of Davie and Hamilton on our stumble home after a late night of drinking.  Hot dogs always taste so much better at 2:30 a.m.  Extra sauerkraut for me please.

A few years ago, he was gracious enough to make a cheeseburger for my then girlfriend. Sent one of his staff to Urban Fare to get the bun.

Totally astonished the server - concerned that if there was additional demand for cheeseburgers, she might be forced to wear a paper hat.

Best $50 cheeseburger I've ever tasted, washed down nice with Sassicaia.