• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

any torquay lunch recs?

• 2 weeks later...

my colleagues and i made it to elephant on monday lunchtime and had a truly excellent meal. highlights for me were the smoked venison and an inspired selection of cheeses. service was just right and it was good to meet simon after the meal (its a good job you came out simon, or the 8 of us would have had to come into the kitchen to see you ;))

anyone in torquay or that area would do well to visit elephant.

Come on fisherman- a few more details about Simon's food please? :biggrin:

Glad that you enjoyed it though, as we are heading down to Cornwall in late June ( get cooking Basildog :raz: ) and we intend to stop off at Elephant en route.

Glad that you enjoyed it though, as we are heading down to Cornwall in late June ( get cooking Basildog :raz: ) and we intend to stop off at Elephant en route.

Get booking Bapi :raz:

I am informed by a gangly fop who pretends to know about wine - that he will be making the necessary arrangements. :biggrin:

Can you make extra sticky toffee pudding please? I'll need it to do some wallpapering when I get home. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

sorry its taken me so long to post anything further, but i've been a combination of busy and slack, so apologies to simon......

i've also lost the notes i made on the meal, so i cant write anything detailed, what i can say though is that the dishes without exception showed imagination and flair, everything about the lunch was memorable and for the right reasons, i've spoken to the people i dined with that day and everyone has very good memories of it.

the only problem now is that on our next meeting (elstree in may) i have to find somewhere comparable or i'll lose my reputation!