• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Horse Meat: Sourcing, Preparing, Eating

torakris

Eating omnivores is not a huge issue with me.  I'm surrounded by hog confinement places and packing plants both of which are doubly scary right now.  And yes any wild boar worth the title would eat meat.  Hell, a big one would probably eat my GMC truck  to get at me..and not bat an eyelash.  

I eat chickens not eagles, turkeys, not vultures  But I'm am fortunate in that I have never been so hungry that I have had to make that choice.  That might put a while different spin on the outcome.  Today is Day One of Week Six of self isolating.  My head is not usually filled with such odd things but these are truly strange times for us all.

• Like 1

@IowaDee 

no Turkeys ?

Ill light a candle .

Id like to BBQ that Boar that ate your GMC

along the Principles of Aaron Franklin  

( look up the YouTube , as he is the real deal )

a slight hint of Metallic ?   

Sorry, my sentence structure was goofy.   I meant that I would eat turkeys but not vultures.    Sure be handy if I changed my mind though.  We have a nesting pair of vultures and their last year's young  in the ruins of the old barn.  Have to Google recipes for BBQing pick- up trucks.  This one is dark blue, not a popular food color.  I think it is in one of the photos I posed in the weather thread a couple of days ago.  Maybe he should practice on the little Chevy first?

• Haha 2

@gfweb 

yes they are.

mostly they eat other fish , so are 

Fishy-Vores

now if a fishy Piranha 

happen to eat

a #ROY#_RY@#_(RY

#$%Y&#(_%RY#  or an elected #ROY#RY@#YR%{O#@YR%{Y@#

#$)%Y#)$_Y%)+@#$Y&%R+&^#@R%^@#}%^&}@#%R

etc.

Id mount it and treasure it

just not eat it.

Never thought about eating carnivores, though, yes, I've eaten pig, both domestic and wild. Wild hog has a very gamy taste I don't care for. I've also eaten bear, which I assuredly did NOT like -- very gamy, and stringy. 

Have no problem with carnivorous, or fishivorous, fish.

There are several wild critters I've tasted and don't much like, among them coon and possum. I like squirrel, which is really just a cute rat with a fluffy tail. Love elk and buffalo. Have enjoyed every game bird I've tried, though pheasant tends to be a little dry. Do not care for reptilian critters -- have eaten alligator, turtle, snake, and none of them did much for me. I do love a good pair of frog legs, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

I would try dog if it were ever offered to me.

For humor: while in grade school a classmate told me that bologna was made from cats and I believed him. I continued to eat it.

I am truly horrified!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Not having eaten a strict carnivore (I mean, pigs are omnivores), I've heard the general consensus is they don't taste very good.

Generally speaking yes, carnivores don't taste so good, with the exception of fish. Don't ask me why!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Why are people upset that horses are being raised for slaughter? Its no different then bulls. In my opinion, its worse then Horses being raised for racing, and when they cant win races anymore they get "put down" That said, i have never knowingly ate Horse meat, but i wouldnt be opposed to it either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Never thought about eating carnivores, though, yes, I've eaten pig, both domestic and wild. Wild hog has a very gamy taste I don't care for. I've also eaten bear, which I assuredly did NOT like -- very gamy, and stringy. 

Have no problem with carnivorous, or fishivorous, fish.

There are several wild critters I've tasted and don't much like, among them coon and possum. I like squirrel, which is really just a cute rat with a fluffy tail. Love elk and buffalo. Have enjoyed every game bird I've tried, though pheasant tends to be a little dry. Do not care for reptilian critters -- have eaten alligator, turtle, snake, and none of them did much for me. I do love a good pair of frog legs, though.

pretty much agree with all of the above. Never had bear or possum.   Reptiles are lost on me exc snapper soup, which hides the turtle with spices. I’ve turned down iguana, so I cannot comment. 

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

I would have no qualms about eating horse, and much to my DW's dismay,  I would try dog if it were ever offered to me.

For humor: while in grade school a classmate told me that bologna was made from cats and I believed him. I continued to eat it.

If i was brought up in a country where all dogs and cats were wild or ferrel, then maybe. But Knowing how good dogs treat their owners, theres no way i could eat dog in good concious.

14 hours ago, FeChef said:

Why are people upset that horses are being raised for slaughter? Its no different then bulls. In my opinion, its worse then Horses being raised for racing, and when they cant win races anymore they get "put down" That said, i have never knowingly ate Horse meat, but i wouldnt be opposed to it either.

No problem with it. Just seems like a lean , flavorless meat. I could be wrong and it could be delicious. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, shawarma_prince said:

No problem with it. Just seems like a lean , flavorless meat. I could be wrong and it could be delicious. 

You are indeed very wrong. Making first hand experiences or at least reading careful through a thread you participate in might be a better advise than stating some unfounded opinions that need to be quickly relativised upon the first founded statement ...

But then again, that is just my opinion and I could be wrong, too ...

Here in Italy, mostly in Veneto and Puglia, horse meat is a strong tradition. One of my uncles had a trattoria that specialized in horse meat. When you enter a bar in the Venice area then you can bet all the money in your wallet that you'll find horse meat in one of their tramezzini, usually with "sfilacci" (thin threads of dried horse meat).
There are many farms that breed horses just for the meat. As there are many farms that breed rabbits. Most foreigners get upset when they learn we eat horses and rabbits.
Personally I really like horse meat, but I haven't eaten it in the last few years. I cut my meat consumption to 1 serving per week, I don't like the horse meat sold by the butchers near here, so I'm not going to do 10 km just for a serving of horse meat. I'll put it in the list of things to do when this lockdown will be over.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo