• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Horse Meat: Sourcing, Preparing, Eating

torakris

I can't believe they would do this. I enjoy horse meat and find nothing wrong with eating it.

It may get more expensive now and I may not be making this anymore...

gallery_6134_119_22348.jpg

raw horse meat prepared in the Korean yukhwe style

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I ate horse -- cavallo -- for the first time while traveling in Piemonte this past February. It's a traditional peasant dish of the region and, at least as served at the restaurant where I enjoyed it, it was quite tasty. That said, it's not something I've been calling my local butcher for a regular supply of....

As for the House's decision, the exception made seems to be one that would not stand up to judicial review if it were to come to that. From the Reuters article which provided the "meat" for this discussion, "This is a piece of legislation that is long overdue," said sponsor John Sweeney, New York Democrat, tracing efforts back to 1979. He decried horses being killed so their meat can be sold "as a delicacy, not a necessity." Sweeney's sentiment may be heartwarming to some but his logic could be applied to all fauna in the human diet. The last time I checked, it was not a "necessity" for humans to eat animal flesh of any kind.

Edited by David McDuff (log)

Sure. Its delicious, like slightly sweeter low fat beef.

What possible reason, besides sentimental twaddle, is ther not to eat it while still eating beef etc?

I can understand a position of eating no meat, or no factory farmed meat, or only kosher or halal meat, or avoiding poisonous foods, but why not horse?

Bunnies or chickens will be off limits soon...

For the same reason Americans think eating dog is unthinkable. I'd rather horses not get eaten and live long and happy lives, but as the article said, the 90,000 are unwanted and would just be abandoned or "put down." Or we can spend $50M to feel good about ourselves by taking care of them all. Yeah, cute fuzzy bunnies will probably be next, followed by ducks, but I think chickens would be a ways away.

Moved by appeals to protect the noble horse, the U.S. House (of Representatives) voted on Thursday to ban the slaughter of horses for food, potentially saving 90,000 animals a year from being served as a delicacy to diners overseas.

So what, exactly will happen to the flesh of the animals that will be "culled" or "put down"? assuming that they will still be "slaughtered", not pensioned off to live in green pastures lovingly tended by volunteer carers until they fade away in happy old age?

Will they be buried in pet cemeteries? or is it OK for them to be made into dog-food, but not human food? I dont understand what this issue is actually about.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Moved by appeals to protect the noble horse, the U.S. House (of Representatives) voted on Thursday to ban the slaughter of horses for food, potentially saving 90,000 animals a year from being served as a delicacy to diners overseas.

So what, exactly will happen to the flesh of the animals that will be "culled" or "put down"? assuming that they will still be "slaughtered", not pensioned off to live in green pastures lovingly tended by volunteer carers until they fade away in happy old age?

Will they be buried in pet cemeteries? or is it OK for them to be made into dog-food, but not human food? I dont understand what this issue is actually about.

How about animals (dogs, cats, etc.) euthanized in animals shelters simply because there is no room for them -- should that meat be eaten too?

How about animals (dogs, cats, etc.) euthanized in animals shelters simply because there is no room for them -- should that meat be eaten too?

Good question. Is that idea more or less repugnant than <a href="http://www.slashfood.com/2006/09/07/baloney-is-people/">Baloney is People </a> ??

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I haven't read any of the previous posts, but...

I was very sad to find out on the news yesterday that they are banning the sell of horse meat :sad:

I have never personally had it, but I have always wanted to try it...especially after hearing so many great things about it from torakris. I also heard that horse fat makes delicious pomme frites.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Didn't realize there already was a topic on this one... In this Guardian.co.uk article, there is mention of our lawmakers' recent efforts at resolving this issue.

It seems they already THOUGHT they'd banned it, but it turned out they'd merely nixed the salaries for the federal health inspectors -- the result being that things continued on as it had, but the plants just paid for the inspections themselves... D'oh.

``It is one of the most inhumane, brutal, shady practices going on in the U.S. today,'' said Rep. John Sweeney, R-N.Y., a sponsor of the ban.

Sweeney argued that the slaughter of horses is different from the slaughter of cattle and chickens because horses are American icons.

``They're as close to human as any animal you can get,'' said Rep. John Spratt, D-S.C.

Brilliant...

The thing about an American icon, well I dunno 'bout chickens, but there are cultures that regard cows as more than mere icons -- but they don't pass legislation to stop people from eating 'em... Did you know that Benjamin Franklin opposed the move to make the bald eagle the national bird? He felt they weren't good rolemodels, since they sometimes steal from other birds of prey by harassing them in flight until they drop what they have hunted -- that scavenging thung. Franklin favored the turkey. Good thing he lost out, or else maybe we'd be having bald eagles for Thanksgiving. Phew.

The other dude, well what can you say? Did Jane Goodall spend her entire career peering up the wrong tree? (rimshot!)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060907/pl_nm/food_horsemeat_dc

Anybody eaten horse?

Chicago banned foie gras, and now this! Horse is very tasty. I have had it stewed with polenta and in sandwiches (kind of like corned beef). If anyone wants to know what happens to unwanted horses, just watch "Animal Cops" on Animal Planet. They are always picking up starved and abandoned horses. Seeing the condition of those animals makes me wonder if the knacker is kinder.

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

For those of you that eat horse, could you eat dog as well?

yes, although my grandparents in Korea had some sort of weird "dog plant" behind them and when I would walk around the area I once found a dog tail on the ground (I thought it was a stick and accidently picked it up). Then again, maybe it was just a pound, I'll never know...I was only 11 or 12 so I had quite the imagination.

I don't think there is any meat I wouldn't try, except for of course baby humans...unless someone else has tried them?

JUST KIDDING

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Good question. Is that idea more or less repugnant than <a href="http://www.slashfood.com/2006/09/07/baloney-is-people/">Baloney is People </a> ??

I note that the lunch meat in question is British.

Looks like it's made to go with Charlie Cheese.

Is there something about British children where their food has to have faces on it?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I would have no problems eating dog if I ever came across it.

Even if it had been your pet?

fair question, I don't know.

I am not an animal person, you will never find a dog, cat or even fish in my house, so I will never have that option.

People on farms eat their "pets" quite a bit, I have no problems walking in my sister's hen house and telling her which chicken I think we should have for dinner that night. My college roomate regularly won ribbons at 4H fairs for her sheep which were then slaughtered the next year..

If some people don't want to eat it, then fine don't eat horse meat. My problem comes when others start telling me what I can and can't eat.

I eat whale a couple times a year though most of the western world frowns upon it and I will never stop eating foie gras.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I would have no problems eating dog if I ever came across it.

Even if it had been your pet?

fair question, I don't know.

I am not an animal person, you will never find a dog, cat or even fish in my house, so I will never have that option.

People on farms eat their "pets" quite a bit, I have no problems walking in my sister's hen house and telling her which chicken I think we should have for dinner that night. My college roomate regularly won ribbons at 4H fairs for her sheep which were then slaughtered the next year..

If some people don't want to eat it, then fine don't eat horse meat. My problem comes when others start telling me what I can and can't eat.

I eat whale a couple times a year though most of the western world frowns upon it and I will never stop eating foie gras.

The farmers/ranchers I've known never regarded their animals to be harvested (pigs, cows, chickens, etc.) as pets. They don't usually regard their dogs, cats, etc. as pets either, rather they're work animals, but they wouldn't eat them.

I'm sure I'm gonna get blasted for moral relativism on this, but:

Once we have accepted the basic proposition that it is okay for humans to kill animals for food--much as other carnivores do, with the difference being that the others don't bother to skin them, cut them up into neat pieces, and cook the pieces first--then what aside from cultural preference dictates that we may kill this animal but not that one?

I'm sure that there are more than a few Americans who cried when Bambi's mom got shot and get up in arms when hunters are sent in to thin deer herds that threaten to ruin urban parks or suburban lawns, yet do not think twice when offered venison for dinner.

Philosophically speaking, while I wouldn't want to be near anyone that does this, if someone in this country wanted to open an abbatoir that produced dog meat for export to countries where it is an acceptable dish, I wouldn't stop them from doing so. I am pretty sure, though, that the operator would have a very hard time finding willing workers.

Horsemeat falls into this same category, with the only difference being that it seems to me that the taboo against eating it, despite what the House of Representatives says, is not as strong as that against eating dogmeat.

While I was typing this, it just hit me: Are there any human societies that eat cats?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm sure I'm gonna get blasted for moral relativism on this, but:

Once we have accepted the basic proposition that it is okay for humans to kill animals for food--much as other carnivores do, with the difference being that the others don't bother to skin them, cut them up into neat pieces, and cook the pieces first--then what aside from cultural preference dictates that we may kill this animal but not that one?

I'm sure that there are more than a few Americans who cried when Bambi's mom got shot and get up in arms when hunters are sent in to thin deer herds that threaten to ruin urban parks or suburban lawns, yet do not think twice when offered venison for dinner.

Philosophically speaking, while I wouldn't want to be near anyone that does this, if someone in this country wanted to open an abbatoir that produced dog meat for export to countries where it is an acceptable dish, I wouldn't stop them from doing so.  I am pretty sure, though, that the operator would have a very hard time finding willing workers.

Horsemeat falls into this same category, with the only difference being that it seems to me that the taboo against eating it, despite what the House of Representatives says, is not as strong as that against eating dogmeat.

While I was typing this, it just hit me:  Are there any human societies that eat cats?

I agree wholeheartedly with almost all that you said above.

Once (as you said) you accept that it's OK to kill another

animal for food, then go all the way - eat all edible parts of everything.

I've been a little baffled by previous posts/threads on how

people will savor animal A, B, and C, but get all squeamish

about D, E, F (pigs yes, bunnies no! cows of course, horses never!, etc.).

Almost all of that is cultural preference - even adventurous eaters

in western countries might feel some qualms about bats or grubs.....

Some of it of course is personal taste - not liking the flavour

of something.....

The only point I might add is when you say: "what aside from

cultural preference dictates that we might kill this animal but

not that one"

is that in the current day and age we have to consider

endangered species, and methods of killing and collecting

that indiscriminately scoop up and destroy all in their path,

leading to the extinction of the very creatures we seek....

This is very different from cultural preferences or personal tastes.....(IMO)

Of course, now it might be my turn to get blasted.....

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

Once we have accepted the basic proposition that it is okay for humans to kill animals for food--much as other carnivores do, with the difference being that the others don't bother to skin them, cut them up into neat pieces, and cook the pieces first

Nor humanely kill them. Well, getting killed/paralyzed by poison or asphyxation (snakes, spiders, big cats) before getting eaten would be far less painful than getting torn limb from limb and getting eating alive (a la sharks, crocodiles, etc.)

It's the act of killing a lot of Americans don't like. The bigger, cuter, fuzzier, more intelligent the animals is, the more disagreeable killing is. I seriously think it won't be long before we're growing meat to eat in labs.

While I was typing this, it just hit me:  Are there any human societies that eat cats?

I think I remember seeing a cooking/travel show in Asia where they had cats hanging in food stalls.

just to get away from the moral/ethical side for a sec, horsemeat (viande chevaline) is pretty widely sold and eaten in Quebec. it may be the bavette you get with your steak-frites, or it may be the ground meat in your tartare--i think this traces back to the Belgian influence.

purely from a nutrition standpoint, this link (pdf warning) here, in French, mentions that for every raw, 100 gram portion of horsemeat, you consume 133 calories, 21 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat, and 0 carbs.

in terms of RDA of various nutrients, that same portion would contain 27% of your RDA of iron, 39% Niacin, 150% B12, and 32% RDA of zinc.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

While working in Italy, every Monday was Horse Meat for family meal. We would start with raw horse meat with lemon juice, salt and pepper, with arugula as our salad. We then would enjoy thin, pounded horse meat that was breaded and pan fried.

Delicious.

It's all about culture. Hot Dogs, Salami, most sausages are pretty horrible to me. Horse Steaks are tasty and the ground meat, usually from the neck area, makes a wonderful burger. Then again, I grew up in Montreal, a barbarian city. Horses, like cows, are from many different species. No one would eat a pet or race horse since it would be all muscles. Horse meat usually comes from special breeds (very fat) that are raised exclusively for fat and meat. The original French Fries, from Belgium, the best in the world, used to be cooked in horse fat. Some of the best French restaurants still do it this way.

• 3 weeks later...

The venerable Steingarten, in his first book,The Man Who Ate Everything spends a certain amount of time on the issue of horses as ingredient, in the piece entitled "Fries". I believe he'd started off looking for doing french fries in horse fat, something that is even better than cow fat.

I also seem to recall that in Seattle, across from the Pike Place Market, there was a butcher doing horse meat.

For the sashimi experience outside of Japan, I very much recommend Uemasa off of Soi Thonglor in Bangkok. An excellent selection of horse sashimi, and at prices that won't hurt.