• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fonda de Refugio

elfin

Does anyone know if Fonda de Refugio will be open on Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday for dinner? It is our go to place in Mexico City-love the fresh daquiris and Salpicon. Thankyou.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Esperanza, thank you for replying. The phone number is 5-5258128.

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Elfin, I'm sorry to report that the telephone number you posted is incorrect because of area code changes. Has it been a while since you've used it? All telephone numbers in Mexico changed slightly about four years ago. If you give me an updated number, I'll try again.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Sorry about the number I have found two numbers for Fonda el Refugio

011-52 (55) 5525-8128 andn 5525-5352. It is at 156 Liverpool in the Zona Rosa. Thanks again!!

Elfin, I talked to the restaurant. They will be closed all of Semana Santa (Holy Week), from the 21st of March until at least the 28th. They may or may not re-open on the 28th; the man I talked to was not sure that they would re-open quite so soon after Easter.

Oh no! I understand that Good Friday (3/25) is a national holiday and plenty of places will be closed. Does anyone know of a few places that will be open during this time (3/24-26) i.e Cafe Tacuba? We eat everything. We will be staying in Zona Rosa on Sat and Sunday, and considering staying in Zacatecas on Thursday and Polanco on Friday night. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you so much.

Mexico is a very Catholic country and Good Friday is a solemn day of remembrance and penance in the Christian calendar. Good Friday is a legal day off here, but not exactly a national holiday..

I'm sorry to tell you that Semana Santa (Holy Week)--i.e., the week prior to Easter--and the week after Easter are the main vacation times in the entire country of Mexico. Traffic on the highways is nigh-on impossible as thousands head to the beaches and other tourist areas. Think of the US holidays Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving, all rolled into one.

Nearly everybody closes down for those two weeks. 'Everybody' includes government offices, private businesses, schools--and restaurants. Whatever is open is operating with a skeleton staff. It's a little like going to Paris in August: everybody is somewhere else. Things should get back more or less to normal after April 4th.

Esperanza, thank you so much for calling and reporting. I know it is going to be difficult. At least Sanbornes and VIPS should be open.

I would buy (or peruse) the following when you arrive (in Sanborn's, for example):

magazines: Tiempo Libre (which comes out on Thursdays)

DF

Chilango

newspapers:

La Reforma (Friday's issue has food section)

El Universal

In these you might be lucky enough to find a listing of open restaurants. If I find anything before next week I will post it.

Nick