• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tyson's Corner area.

Only one of the top restaurants in the country, Maestro, serves up the finest meals at the ritz carlton.  I should know, I work there.

Cool. I'll bring the baby, the stroller and the shopping bags. You guys don't mind, right? :laugh:

Stretch,

Should we make it 4 + (2 x 1/2)?

I am sure that I could convince Mrs JPW to add to the shopping bag collection.

:laugh:

Throw on a suit and possibly a tie and nobody will look twice. :raz:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

If you're willing to drive 2-3 miles east on Route 7 (Broad St/Leesburg Pk) into Falls Church, I recommend Panjshir Afghani Restaurant (I think it's in the 700 block or so of W Broad St.). It is quiet, good service, and the pumpkin dish I had there was to die for!

Luzmilla's Bolivian Cuisine (809 W Broad St) is the perfect little family run greasy spoon with authentic Bolivian food-- lots of stews and meat dishes, yummy saltenas and empanadas-- if you want to try something different and cheap.

There are also a lot of other restaurants on Broad St but I haven't tried many of them. A lot of people like Crisp n'Juicy across the street. Haandi Indian restaurant in the shopping center by the Giant is supposed to be good.

Da Domenico is an excellent example of the kind of restaurant that is very good but rarely, if ever, is mentioned on boards. I agree that their veal chop is excellent, on par with the $40 veal chop I once had at La Paradou but priced much lower. Zefferelli's in Herndon, Bonaroti (mentioned above) and others have survived for decades without much press, yet with loyal followings. On the thread about Two Amy's pizza I'm reminded of Luigi's on 19th street which was a BIG DEAL when I was in high school at Blair in the early '60's. Then, Luigi's, was considered the best anywhere; it was a real event to take a date DOWNTOWN to go to Luigi's for pizza.

Luigi's is still there but I don't think I've had it since high school. My guess is if someone posted a rave about it I would find myself "back" there within a week!

As someone who has lived in Falls Church/Fairfax County/Arlington for almost thirty years, and has worked in Tyson's for eight, I'd like to weigh in with some confirmations and disagreements with earlier posts in this thread.

Tyson's has an abundance of decent chains in the mid-upscale range, includnig several steakhouses and seafood places (Palm, Morton's, Sam & Harry's, McCormick & Schmicks, Legal). I also like Maggiano's and PF Changs, Daily Grille is OK, but I don't understand the wait times people go through for these spots. I've been to Lebanese Taverna in the Galleria a couple of times for mezze in the bar after work; what I've tried has been excellent.

I also agree that Da Domenicos is a nice spot.

Thai Pillin and Taste of Saigon are both very good, each in their own way. ToS has wonderful soups, and anything in their black pepper sauce (sweet, not spicy) is always good. ToS has a nice atmosphere, and outdoor dining in nice weather, as well.

Colvin Run is the best of the area by far, though.

In my experience, Colvin Run Tavern is very good, but by reputation, service can be spotty. And it's nowhere near as good as Maestro -- hands down, the best restaurant convenient to Tyson's.

As for the suggestions for restaurants in Vienna or Falls Church: do not be fooled by the "2-3" miles description. At best during mid-day, it will take you 10-15 minutes to drive. In rush hour traffic, it can take 45+. I'm not exaggerating at all, the traffic getting in and out of Tyson's, especially between 5-6:30 in the afternoons, can be a nightmare. That said, I love having Panjshir, Haandi, Crisp & Juicy, and the Eden Center as neighboorhood places.

Colvin Run is the best of the area by far, though.

In my experience, Colvin Run Tavern is very good, but by reputation, service can be spotty. And it's nowhere near as good as Maestro -- hands down, the best restaurant convenient to Tyson's.

I agree - I completely blanked on the fact that Maestro was there when I posted that. Colvin Run is good, but Maestro is one of the two or three best meals I've ever had.

Bill Russell

Since you mentioned baby & stroller, Neisha might be a viable option. Neisha's dishes are not exactly Americanized, but think of them as a Thai fusion cuisine. They do some outstanding dishes, such as their hoi obb (lemongrass mussels) & smokey eggplant appetizer. A few are good but totally unlike anything I've seen elsewhere, such as the emerald pork.

Neisha's interior seems to fascinate kids. The walls are studded with fake gems and there's a little pond with misters over big hunks of crystal. The staff are pretty kid-friendly. It's one of our daughter's favorite restaurants; the virgin mango cocktail is a big hit with her. We usually go into the mall to let her look at the anamatronics at the Rainforest Cafe, then go to Neisha for real food.