• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tyson's Corner area.

Occasionally my usual strategy of dogged passive resistance fails to head off the mall urge in my better half and I get dragged around the beltway to the man-purgatory that is Tyson's Corner. Adding insult to injury, we then usually end up eating lunch somewhere serviceable but anodyne like Chipotle or Silver Diner through sheer ignorance of the other options in the area. I assume there are many better choices there or thereabouts? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Colvin Run Tavern -- on the opposite side of Rt. 7 from the Mall. Mall options are indigestible or a pretzel. Go there to restore thy soul.

Edited to add: Best to have reservations though, particularly for dinner. Not sure if they do lunch on the wkends.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

There is a branch of Lebanese Taverna on the Lower Level of Tyson's Galleria (AKA Tyson's 2 - the more upscale one) that I like better than some of their other locations. They have more of a focus on Mezzes there.

Also over there are other less decent chains (but better than Silver Diner) - Legal Seafoods, PF Changs, Maggianos, Daily Grill and everyone's favorite Cheesecake Factory.

There is a Cafe Deluxe in the building with Crate and Barrel, which is OK.

Closer to the toll road is a Persian place called Shamshiry that some people really like - I had one OK meal there but I may have ordered the wrong thing.

In a strip mall with Staples and Tower records is a place called Thai Pillin. Hole in the wall, but pretty decent Thai.

Word is that there are plans for Masaharu Morimoto to open up a place in the new addition being built onto Tyson's 1 - but that is a ways off.

Colvin Run is the best of the area by far, though.

Bill Russell

Someone also mentioned a Vietnamese place in the office park across from Tysons II. Said they do a killer black pepper chicken. Ring any bells?

Edited to add: Probably Taste Of Saigon. Which does feature in the Washingtonian guide to Tysons that I just found. Though I am moved to read cautiously any article that opens with: "Like Tolkien’s Middle Earth, Tysons Corner is a mythical place."

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

Someone also mentioned a Vietnamese place in the office park across from Tysons II. Said they do a killer black pepper chicken. Ring any bells?

Nope - but I'd be interested to hear more.

Bill Russell

Taste of Saigon is very good, excellent mussels and black pepper chicken. Note that I haven't been in about a year or two. Shamshiry is the best overall Persian restaurant in the DC area with several special rice dishes that are outstanding. Salmon kebobs may be their strongest along with chicken on the bone. (boneless chicken kebobs are better elsewhere)

Taste of Saigon is very good, excellent mussels and black pepper chicken.  Note that I haven't been in about a year or two.  Shamshiry is the best overall Persian restaurant in the DC area with several special rice dishes that are outstanding.  Salmon kebobs may be their strongest along with chicken on the bone.  (boneless chicken kebobs are better elsewhere)

Actually, Joe was the principle ""some people" who like Shamshiry" that I was referring to above. I had the boneless chicken kabobs.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Moby Dick, the Reston place you like, Ravi Kebab all are far superior to Shmshiry for boneless chicken kebab. I, too, found that out on my first visit. In fact it was three or four years before I went back to find that I hadn't ordered the right kebab or the right rice.

Nope - but I'd be interested to hear more.

I used to work across the street from Taste of Saigon and regularly ordered the Black Pepper Chicken for lunch. I first heard about the Black Pepper Chicken from a friend who described it as "better than sex." It's not THAT good, but is still worth ordering.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Edit:  Don't laugh, but if you're desperate the Nordstrom cafe has a couple of decent salads.

There's nothing at all wrong with Nordstrom Cafe - it's one of the best-kept secrets in Tysons.

Now, if you had said Rainforest Cafe, well, then you would have been skewered.

And speaking of skewered, Joe H is right about Shamshiry (also about the delicious boneless chicken kabob at Moby Dick).

[beavis] He said "dick," heh-heh-heh... heh-heh... heh-heh [/beavis]

As long as you're out there, you might as well just swing by Eden Center for Vietnamese -- assuming you're not in the mood to settle in for a long feed at Colvin Run or 2941.

And, if you are in the mood to settle in, why not just go to Tosca? 4 out of 5 Circuit City shoppers find it a "great place to blow your savings" after "buying a home entertainment system on time," and backing your purchase with "and extended parts and labor warranty."

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thai PILIN on Route 7 same strip as Tower Records is pretty good.  More homestyle and hole in the wall than Neisha Thai or Busara- but I like it better.

Last time I was there (a year or so ago), there was very limited seating. It got very crowded at lunchtime; a lot of carry-out orders.

There are also a number of choices down 123 toward Vienna...there's an Italian restaurant on 123 on the right side of the street not far past the country club just inside the town limits (totally have forgotten the name)...the food was fantastic last time I went and they have a pretty decent wine list.

And the Vienna Inn for hot dogs and a beer, of course! :smile:

Edited by MelGold (log)

If you're heading to Vienna and want an interesting meal, you may want to check out Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant. It's a Taiwanese place. The menu is hit or miss, but we always loved the Sunflower Satisfaction dish, with gluten and Shanghai cabbage and ginkgo nuts. I think it's worth a shot, especially if you have vegetarians in tow with you.

Only one of the top restaurants in the country, Maestro, serves up the finest meals at the ritz carlton.  I should know, I work there.

Cool. I'll bring the baby, the stroller and the shopping bags. You guys don't mind, right? :laugh:

Only one of the top restaurants in the country, Maestro, serves up the finest meals at the ritz carlton.  I should know, I work there.

Cool. I'll bring the baby, the stroller and the shopping bags. You guys don't mind, right? :laugh:

Stretch,

Should we make it 4 + (2 x 1/2)?

I am sure that I could convince Mrs JPW to add to the shopping bag collection.

:laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W