• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Rotisserie Chicken

The older Flor de Mayo branch is on Broadway near 101 St. Maybe that's where the Peruvians are, but the greater likelihood is that you can't tell who's a Chinese-Peruvian just by looking at them.

What is a "Chinese-Peruvian"? :raz:

I long ago concluded that the Pollo a la Brasa was better at El Malecon than at Flor de Mayo, and it was cheaper to boot! Since I've never looked back and I probably made this decision over 10 years ago, though, I might not be right anymore. But when I think of rotisserie chicken, I definitely think El Malecon first.

In my neighborhood, Mancora is pretty good.

I went to Malecon for dinner yesterday and Pan's right: it's cheaper. Dinner for three, with way too much food, was $17. The whole chicken roasted "Malecon style" ($9, and it comes with rice and beans or yuca or a bunch of other stuff) looked amazing rotating in the window with dark brown skin. The skin was deliciously crisp in many parts, unlike at Flor de Mayo, where the skin was not fatty or soggy but definitely not crisp. The chicken at Flor de Mayo was more moist, but not by much. The real difference was not qualitative but categorical. Flor de Mayo's chicken is clearly rubbed with some mix of spices before cooking; Malecon's doesn't taste like it's rubbed with much more than salt and pepper. The flavor of FDM's rub permeates the meat of the chicken, which I liked a lot, but the spiced chicken isn't ideal for rice and beans. I prefer a more basic chicken to go along with them.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The older Flor de Mayo branch is on Broadway near 101 St. Maybe that's where the Peruvians are, but the greater likelihood is that you can't tell who's a Chinese-Peruvian just by looking at them.

A Peruvian of Chinese ancestry, of course.

Michael aka "Pan"

A Peruvian of Chinese ancestry, of course.

Just to add on to this comment, one of Peru's most popular form of cuisine is called "chifa" (origin of the word?) which is essentially a style of Peruvian-Chinese fusion food which developped in the country with the arrival of the first chinese immigrants in the late 19th to early 20th century. I have never had it myself but on a trip to Lima a couple of years ago I recall seeing "chifa" restaurants literaly everywhere. Apparently, chifa is extremely popular in Peru (probably more so along the coast) and from what I understand an intricate part of Peru's present culinary heritage.

Here is the website of one such restaurant located in Lima.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Oh, yes, of course...  And wasn't the former President of Peru from Japan?

Indeed so [edit: His grandparents were from Japan, or one of them was, but he was a 3rd-generation Peruvian], but best not to talk further about him, I figure. Look up news stories on Alberto Fujimori on the web if you like.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

This is the location of El Malecon I know best:

El Malecon Restaurant II

764 Amsterdam Avenue (north of 97 St.)

New York, NY 10025

(212) 864-5648

And here's their flagship:

El Malecon Restaurant

4141 Broadway (right near the George Washington Bridge at, I believe, 178 St.)

New York, NY 10033

(212) 927-3812

Mancora in the East Village:

Mancora

99 1 Av (corner of 6 St.)

New York, NY 10003

(212) 253-1011

And their Brooklyn branch (which I think was there first):

Mancora Corporation

176 Smith Street

Brooklyn, NY 11201

(718) 643-2629

I believe that covers all the places whose addresses weren't listed on the first page of this thread.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks, glad that one of them is at least close to my neighborhood - I'll be giving it a try soon.

I've heard mention of a place on lower Ave. C that does rotisserie chicken, but I can't remember the name of it...supposed to be good, though. Have any idea what it's called?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A buddy and I were good and stoned on Wed. night and headed out to Srip in Woodside. Upon arrival we were reminded by the dim lights and lack of patrons that Srip is closed on Weds. However I have often passed and never stopped at a tiny store front on Roosevelt Avenue at about 59th Street (just past the Mc Donald’s) that reads Peking BBQ. There is alway a line of people waiting and now I know why. It is a latino-chino joint that makes one of the best rotisserie chicks I have ever had. Does anyone know what place I am talking about? I thought it was a rib joint but everyone on line was ordering the same super juicy birds. We got a whole chick, order of ribs, fried rice and fried yuca for about $17. The ribs were good, like a very meaty version of chinese spare ribs, the sides were eh (yuca much better than the rice) but the chicken was insane as was the latino style "hot sauce" (like a guasacaca). I can't wait to go back.

BTW - it's really a take out place, they have some tables and there were a few people sitting but take out seems to be the way to go.