• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinatown help

Diann

North Sea for seafood.

Lakeside for cheap ass rice dishes.

A lot of places can make you bitter melon/ fuzzy melon dishes.  Just ask them if they have it......

Chinatown is almost 100% cantonese.  For Szechuan, theres a place on Arch next to Joe Poon.  Sorry I don't know the name.  For the very best Szechuan, you gotta go out to NJ or the 'burbs.

Theres also a couple places owned by Taiwanese or Fujian owners, but not many.  There is not one Shanghai restaurant in Chinatown as I recall.

Stephen,

The best Sichuan place I have every visited is in NJ, called Szechuan Ace, which I posted about a while back.

Where is this place in Exton, I would love to visit (today if possible)?

As for Mandarin, some of us went there for the Chinese New Year dinner.

Now for a slightly touchy subject.....

I love Dim Sum and used to frequent a Dim Sum place in Princeton NJ, prior to moving out here. Unfortunately, the first and last time I visited a Dim Sum place in Chinatown, Ocean Harbor, I got severe food poisoning. Now, this could be a complete co-incidence, and I am hoping that people who have frequented Ocean Harbor and other Dim Sum restaurants can assure me that this is a very rare occurance, otherwise my Dim Sum experiences will continue to be convined to Princeton, which takes me over 1.5 hrs to get to.

Cheers

Percy

I love Dim Sum and used to frequent a Dim Sum place in Princeton NJ, prior to moving out here. Unfortunately, the first and last time I visited a Dim Sum place in Chinatown, Ocean Harbor, I got severe food poisoning. Now, this could be a complete co-incidence, and I am hoping that people who have frequented Ocean Harbor and other Dim Sum restaurants can assure me that this is a very rare occurance, otherwise my Dim Sum experiences will continue to be convined to Princeton, which takes me over 1.5 hrs to get to.

Cheers

Percy

Percy- I can assure you it is a rare occurancee unless you are the one who winds up with it. But then how often do people report it?

Years ago when I lived in New York I had an Art Installation as part of my masters thesis. Well it was a difficult one as all the pieces were huge and modular and the lighting was particularly difficult. To make a long story short. I took everyone to

a Peking Duck dinner to celebrate and thank them all for their help. This was a famous place and favorite of Mayor Kotch. Well none of us made it home without heaving. The whole group unendingly ill. I never went back but I can't imagine they'd stay in business long and have the reputation they did, if their patrons came home like that. Boy. was I ever embarressed.

That was the first and last time I've had food poisoning.

I have frequented most of the Dim Sum restuarants every weekend for years

on end until about a year ago. As soon as I sat down they'd come with the carts

and go chickenfeet? It wasn't a weekend without the feet and all the other goodies.

With all the times I've gone including ocean harbor. I don't think your in any danger.

Just a roll of the dice- could have happened anywhere. Enjoy the dim sum in center city. I don't go to CC often anymore. That's why I asked about the langhorne place.

Haven't gotten to Szechuan Ace yet.

I think was it Herb that mentioned Hunan Star on Frankford Ave? But with my brain fog don't hold me to it! :wacko: And what was good there? One day when I can get past Sweet Lucy's Barbecue, it's on my list to try.

Now where is the dim sum in Princeton and what is the name? Its late for dim sum

but it would be good to know as I am in the Marketplace area frequently. Susie

Good eating

Cheers

Percy

Percy- I can assure you it is a rare occurancee unless you are the one who winds up with it. But then how often do people report it?

Years ago when I lived in New York I had an Art Installation as part of my masters thesis. Well it was a difficult one as all the pieces were huge and modular and the lighting was particularly difficult. To make a long story short. I took everyone to

a Peking Duck dinner to celebrate and thank them all for their help. This was a famous place and favorite of Mayor Kotch. Well none of us made it home without heaving. The whole group unendingly ill. I never went back but I can't imagine they'd stay in business long and have the reputation they did, if their patrons came home like that. Boy. was I ever embarressed.

That was the first and last time I've had food poisoning.

I have frequented most of the Dim Sum restuarants every weekend for years

on end until about a year ago. As soon as I sat down they'd come with the carts

and go chickenfeet? It wasn't a weekend without the feet and all the other goodies.

With all the times I've gone including ocean harbor. I don't think your in any danger.

Just a roll of the dice- could have happened anywhere. Enjoy the dim sum in center city. I don't go to CC often anymore. That's why I asked about the langhorne place.

Haven't gotten to Szechuan Ace yet.

I think was it Herb that mentioned Hunan Star on Frankford Ave? But with my brain fog don't hold me to it! :wacko: And what was good there? One day when I can get past Sweet Lucy's Barbecue, it's on my list to try.

Now where is the dim sum in Princeton and what is the name? Its late for dim sum

but it would be good to know as I am in the Marketplace area frequently. Susie

Good eating

Ive lived in Princeton for 8 years and I'm not aware of any dim sum here.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

There is a place in the outskirts of Princeton on Harrison St (think), called King Castle, which serves good Dim Sum on the weekends (maybe Friday too).

It is located in the Princeton Shopping Center, off Rt 27 (on Harrison). A few weeks ago, they were closed for renovations. So call them at (609) 924-8001 before going.

I love their broccoli rabe with oyester sauce.

Cheers

Percy

but it would be good to know as I am in the Marketplace area frequently.  Susie

Good eating

[Off topic comment]

Susie, if you are in the Marketplace area, go for Terriyaki Boy. Yes, it is a small chain, but oh so good (addictive) for so little.

[/Off topic comment]

Cheers

Percy

Okay Percy,

Enlighten all of us. Tell us about this place you are willing to drive and hour and a half to.

Honestly, I think you have raised alot of issues that deserve their own topic.

I think you are playing Russian roulette to some extent with many restaurants and I for one, know of no way around it without giving up those regional and ethnic food practices you came to the restaurant to enjoy.

Look at the peking duck, do you look into how they are air drying it; and how long its out. When you get Cantonese Duck are you thinking how long its been without refrigeration and under the heat lamp.

When you go into an Italian deli; Are you happy to get that fresh mozzarella sitting in water without refrigeration?

I figure this is something thats been done for centurys and I'll take that small risk

rather than have the taste altered by something that was never a necessity before.

Sure there are common sense things to protect yourself. Not eating sushi Mondays

and Tuesdays is maybe common sense, and not to order something perishable in places that don't get much traffic.

Get a look at Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Either You will never eat out again or you'll do as my sister says "Give it up to God". And just eat out and enjoy!

Okay, now what is the name of the Princton Dim Sum place? - Susie

Edited by saluki (log)

but it would be good to know as I am in the Marketplace area frequently.  Susie

Good eating

[Off topic comment]

Susie, if you are in the Marketplace area, go for Terriyaki Boy. Yes, it is a small chain, but oh so good (addictive) for so little.

[/Off topic comment]

Thanks for the heads up on King Castle-- Have to try that.

And I had a good Yakitori at Terriyaki Boy years ago. Don't think that is on the menu anymore but its a good place for mall munchies. --Susie

I have lived in Bucks County for nearly thirty-seven years, and I think I have been to nearl every Chinese restaurant in Lower Bucks.

Chinatown Cafe has a short menu, a blessing for these parts and the food is very good. We were there in the first week of opening and it was nearly empty on a Friday night. Now the small storefront is full and the wait can be long.

The place is on Route 213, about a mile and a half south of Langhorne, just before Neshaminy Creek bridge and across from Playwick Park. Just look for the CVS sign.

We have been there three times and hope be able to dine there again some day.

Cary is a very friendly young man, early forties, I would guess, and one of the few owners that I have struck up a conversation with and we dine out frequently.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I have lived in Bucks County for nearly thirty-seven years, and I think I have been to nearl every Chinese restaurant in Lower Bucks.

Chinatown Cafe has a short menu, a blessing for these parts and the food is very good. We were there in the first week of opening and it was nearly empty on a Friday night. Now the small storefront is full and the wait can be long.

The place is on Route 213, about a mile and a half south of Langhorne, just before Neshaminy Creek bridge and across from Playwick Park. Just look for the CVS sign.

We have been there three times and hope be able to dine there again some day.

Cary is a very friendly young man, early forties, I would guess, and one of the few owners that I have struck up a conversation with and we dine out frequently.

Thanks so much! Maybe this time I'll be able to find it now that I know what I'm looking for. I don't drive expressways anymore so nor am I able to handle CC driving. So I'm glad to know there is a quality chinese restaurant in lower Bucks-- Thats manageable--

Thanks again- Susie

We went to Rangoon two nights ago based on this thread & recommendations elsewhere on eGullet. I’m sorry to have to say that it was the biggest – make that the only – disappointment we had during an otherwise delightful 3-day visit to Philly.

It’s not that the flavors aren’t robust at Rangoon; it’s simply that we were served the greasiest meal I’ve had in years.

It wasn’t as though the cook’s hand had slipped during preparation of a particular dish; the level of oiliness was consistent and, to me, excessive across five separate dishes. I don’t know whether this represents a particular style of Burmese cooking, or simply Rangoon’s idiosyncratic approach, but it left their food bordering on inedible, for me.

I’m aware that my system is less tolerant of grease than most folks’. Judging from the patronage at Rangoon, I’m as usual in the minority on this. But I know that I’m not the only one with this kind of systemic sensitivity, hence this cautionary post.

So that you know where I’m coming from, I’ll mention that our non-Chinese Asian dining experiences in the last year include: two meals at Mingala, a Burmese restaurant in NYC (eG opinion is divided on how good & authentic their cuisine is); three meals at Wondee’s here in NJ (eG consensus seems to be that it’s the best Thai place in North Jersey); and a couple of meals at local Vietnamese places. Relative quality isn’t the issue here; what matters is that none of these meals were anywhere close to being as greasy as the food we had at Rangoon.

I’m also aware that my sense of disappointment is the more acute because, due to the nature of our trip, this was the only dinner where we could choose our restaurant in advance. To have an unpalatable meal in those circumstances, in a city that offers as much good food as Philly does, was particularly irksome.

None of this changes the level of grease in the food that we had. If someone had mentioned this before, we’d have chosen someplace else to dine, because I know how my digestive system works. I’m posting this now in hopes that others whose systems work like mine may be spared a similar experience.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

North Sea for seafood.

Lakeside for cheap ass rice dishes.

A lot of places can make you bitter melon/ fuzzy melon dishes.  Just ask them if they have it......

Chinatown is almost 100% cantonese.  For Szechuan, theres a place on Arch next to Joe Poon.  Sorry I don't know the name.  For the very best Szechuan, you gotta go out to NJ or the 'burbs.

Theres also a couple places owned by Taiwanese or Fujian owners, but not many.  There is not one Shanghai restaurant in Chinatown as I recall.

Stephen,

The best Sichuan place I have every visited is in NJ, called Szechuan Ace, which I posted about a while back.

Where is this place in Exton, I would love to visit (today if possible)?

As for Mandarin, some of us went there for the Chinese New Year dinner.

I believe the Szichwan place in Exton is called Tifco's China Bistro.

Ask for their chinese/szichaun menu, because it is completely different from their regular menu.

Cheers

Percy

I've been to ocean harbor a zillion times for dim sum, and though its not the cleanest place in the world (what place in chinatown is?), I've never gotten poisoned.

So in my opinion, it's probably a rare incident that got you.

Edited by stephenc (log)

Hi ghostrider, I'm awfully sorry to hear about your greasy food experience at Rangoon. I too have a system that is sensitive to excess grease and I can understand the discomfort you probably felt afterwards. Oddly enough, I've never had a unpleasantly greasy meal at Rangoon. I've eaten there several times, and the owner always recognises us and is really kind to us and we always enjoy the food. The only thing that I've had there that was greasy was their thousand layer bread. But from what I understand, it's supposed to be somewhat greasy. I'm sorry you had a bad experience there, I wonder if perhaps the cook had an off night? Or maybe they've hired a new cook?

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

This is interesting. I've eaten at Rangoon maybe three times and didn't find the food to be particularly greasy. I find the food at Penang that everyone raves about to be REALLY greasy and why I don't eat there anymore. I just can't digest that stuff - it inevitably makes me ill.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for the sympathetic words. I'm certainly willing to grant that they might have had an off night, it happens. And my view may also have been colored by the Crispy Lentil Fritters starter, which were literally saturated with grease, almost as if the frying oil had gotten too cool. It was probably a mistake to order them, but I eat samosa all the time with no problems.

Anyway it was just one meal in the cosmic scheme of things. I won't be discouraged from returning to Philly the next chance we get. We really had a great time, and good food all over.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

... the Crispy Lentil Fritters starter, which were literally saturated with grease

I'm really surprised to hear this, I've ordered this dozens of times and it has been, well, crispy! As one of Rangoon's enthusiastic supporters, I'll offer my apologies on behalf of them and our crew here, I really do think you must have caught them on an off night.

I really can't count the number of times I've eaten there, dating back to their old location across the street, I honestly think it's over 50, and I've experienced some variation of quality and spiciness, but never an overwhelmingly grease-soaked meal. As noted above, a few things are just inherently oily, like the thousand layer bread, and one of my faves the Kung Pau Beef, but most of the fried stuff I've had has been fine, no greasier than anywhere else.

I'm sure we can't talk you into trying them again on your next visit, but your experience really was unusual based on my meals there. Sorry about that!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Was chatting with some NYC friends earlier today, turned out they'd been to Rangoon some years ago & enjoyed it too.

I'm starting to wonder if I caught them on a night when their regular cook was indisposed or something. Stuff happens.

• 2 weeks later...

An unruly crowd of hooligans descended on Rising Tide (937 Race St) on thurs, and amazingly, the place is still standing...

We didn't make it through all 300 items on the menu, and due to a bit too much wine (and unquestionably, too much white zin) I'm not sure I'll be able to recall everything. But overall, everything was pretty good, a few things were really good, and it was really affordable.

The seafood Tom Yum soup was well-received, but I'll leave it to someone who won't die after eating a shrimp to describe.

We continued with a pile of various "snacks" a few orders of fried and steamed dumplings, mini eggrolls, steamed buns (as in soup dumplings, not bao) and some meat on a stick. I thought all of these were fine, nothing particularly thrilling, although the beef on a stick was surprisingly good. We learned that Monsignor Fentoni will eat anything on a stick. I find this less disturbing than I should. The steamed buns weren't (at least mine wasn't) all that soupy, but were still OK. I think this is one of those things that a place has to specialize in to get really right.

We tried to adhere to the time-honored tradition of everyone ordering his or her own entree, and then getting none of it as it rounds the table. Beef Chow fun was really good. We should have ordered three of those. Soft noodles with crab had a really nice chewy, soft texture, but Gary ate all the crab before any of us could get any. He'll deny it, but didn't Shakespeare say something about protestething too much?

Shrimp and scallops with lemongrass was so good we got it twice, even though one of them was supposed to be squid. As you might have guessed, I didn't try either of them. Fish curry was very nice, more like a mild Indian curry than Thai. I wasn't in the mood for the Salmon, so I'll let someone else describe it. The whole deep fried striped bass was very good, crispy, with a sweet and sour sauce. The threatened chopstick fight over the cheeks dissolved in a puddle of white zin, and I think they were forgotten.

Braised shortribs in a clay pot was really tasty, with a dark, rich, sweet sauce. Pork belly, also in a clay pot, was drier, but artery-firming good. Roast Pork and Chinese sausage on rice is apparently baked to order, because it took about 20 minutes (they warned us). It had that great sweet-salty-fatty thing that characterizes most things worth eating.

We were all a little pissed that someone refused to open his bottle of Beaujolais, but we got by with a few other wines. I'm waffling between the Sept Grains and the Weimer Gewurtz as my faves with this food.

Not content with the levels of pork fat in our systems, we made a damp pilgrimage to Capogiro, and got the cholesterol counts back up to where they should be.

Overall, a seriously fun evening. The food was very good, and there are about 204 more things on the menu that we didn't try. I'm not sure that Rising Tide displaced any of my previous faves in Chinatown, but I'd go back, I liked almost everything I had.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 1 month later...

OK folks, a quick lee how fook question: we're going there tonight, what should i order? any must-haves? salt-baked something or other, right? anything else?

(edited to say nevermind, it's closed on monday; peking duck instead!)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

OK folks, a quick lee how fook question: we're going there tonight, what should i order?  any must-haves?  salt-baked something or other, right?  anything else?

(edited to say nevermind, it's closed on monday; peking duck instead!)

Assuming you haven't yet gone to Lee How Fook, I always enjoy the mongolian hot pots there. It's a beautifully made thick dark broth with what I assume is sea bass or some other white fish deep fried to perfection. In the broth are chineese mushrooms, greens and plenty of fresh ginger slices and scallions. This is a must have if you like these sorts of dishes.

That said, others we go with always enjoy their meals. I think it's hard to order the wrong thing in this little place, my favorite in Chinatown

The Lemon Duck, Salt Baked Shrimp and the Orange Beef are all good at Lee How Fook.

The Hot and Sour Soup is the best in the city IMO.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

cool, thanks y'all. we ended up going to sang kee, because lee how fook is closed mondays. had peking duck (delicious as always), mini chicken potstickers (mine are better) and snow pea leaves with roasted garlic (very salty, but good anyway).

here's a similar situation to this thread that i'm thinking of: when we were in barcelona we went to a fancy restaurant and ended up talking to the chef. he asked us if we'd gone on a tapas crawl yet, and when we said no he described to us what he said was the #1 rule of tapas crawling: each tapas place has a specialty or two. go to the place, get a drink, get their specialty, and then leave--even if the other stuff looks good, don't get it, because it's another place's specialty.

so in a way, i picture this thread about chinatown like that. sure, you can order szechuan chicken at every restaurant in chinatown, just like you can get a tortilla at any tapas bar in barcelona. but do you want to? no, you get what they're known for.

anyway, that's all. thanks for the tips.