• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good restaurants edison/woodbridge/metuchen area

halloweencat

i live in this area, but feel i don't know too many good places to eat around here.

anyone have any thoughts?

i have friends that feel mee-lai (spelling?), a malaysian-chinese place, is good. we've eaten there as well, once. seems good.

i know folks here have raved about moghul on oak tree road. we've gone there twice. we felt that it was very over priced. it's a poor place for folks who like their indian food on the mild side. we couldn't even talk, it was so hot (and we ordered mild -- i know that this will be a plus to many! ;) ).

i recall liking the metuchen inn, but feeling that it was overpriced.

i like stage left in new brunswick a lot. and there's an ethiopian place around the corner from it i liked a lot (only went there once). there's a place across the street called soho-something which we thought was overpriced and not so great.

we love abraccis (spelling?) in metuchen. +very+, +very+, +very+ small, and byob...but they have a person there who will run to the liquor store to get anything you want.

anyone else?

cheers :)

hc

Have heard good things about Elio's in the Inman Ave/Grove St mall.

Peggy's in Iselin used to be good and we used to go to a Chinese Restaurant on Gill Lane called The Black Orchard.

Mie Thai 34 Main St. Woodbridge

Mings--next to Moghul

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Really enjoyed Ming next door to Moghul (eggplant dish, fish curry, papaya salad) and it was BYOB.

-Mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

WEGMAN'S!! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I live in this area too. Places I've eaten and can recommend:

Treasure Garden (Inman Ave, Colonia) - Chinese. Comfortable, not too crowded on even Friday and Saturday nights - and oh yeah - pretty decent food.

Elio's - (Inman Grove Shopping Center) I've enjoyed their food.

Sebastian's - (St George Ave, Rahway) - New place - fresh seafood. I like this place a lot!

Jerry's Italian Touch (Gill Lane, Iselin) I really like their pizza. Thin crust, fresh ingredients. The specialty pies are great. Took me 20 years to find a pizza place I like around here!

Firehouse (St. George Ave., Rahway?) Haven't been there in yrs but thought they were fine for casual dining. Was bummed when they stopped serving their thin crust pizza (I loved their fresh garlic with olive oil and black pepper pizza!) They serve big steaks (24 oz Delmonico?) - but I have never gotten one there.

Dave's BBQ (Rt. 1 at Rt. 18, New Brunswick) Good for ribs

I'm sure I am forgetting some places!

Places I want to try:

Dan's on Main (Metuchen)

Dick's Dock (Metuchen)

Cafe Abracci (Metuchen)

Metuchen Inn (Metuchen)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Dave's BBQ (Rt. 1 at Rt. 18, New Brunswick) Good for ribs

Randi, I think you are referring to Famous Dave's. Although it's a chain, I agree that the ribs are very good.

Places I want to try:

Dan's on Main (Metuchen)

We've had dinner at Dan's on Main a couple of times though not recently. The food was well-prepared and tasty. When you go, be sure to order some perogi, the chef's specialty.

We had lunch a few months ago at a Thai restaurant in Metuchen, on Main St., whose name escapes me. Very good food and attractive atmospherics.

Randi,  I think you are referring to Famous Dave's.  Although it's a chain, I agree that the ribs are very good. 

Ooops you're right! Must not be THAT "famous" if I didn't remember the right name :laugh:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne