• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Main Street

Ok where is wingnuts and why have I not seen it?

I had a really good burger at Locus (wierd eh?) recently. Also we were dejected from Hatch on broadway (close to main) and ended up at Sunny Spot Cafe. It was pretty decent actually although the potatoes were a bit soggy. They have really good fresh squeezed OJ although I like the food at the Whip better.

I like the Reef too and Hawker's is wonderful. Very street foody.

Is Monsoon and Typhoon owned by the same people?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Lo and behold, Wes, here's the Wing Nuts website. Located on Main at 28th on the east side of the street.

Monsoon and Typhoon are not owned by the same people. Remember our discussion last night after cooking class? Habit is the new restaurant going into the space formerly occupied by Typhoon; it's being opened by the owners of what was Tangerine on Yew Street in Kitsilano. Methinks you had too much vino. :wink:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Lo and behold, Wes, here's the Wing Nuts website.  Located on Main at 28th on the east side of the street.

Monsoon and Typhoon are not owned by the same people.  Remember our discussion last night after cooking class?  Habit is the new restaurant going into the space formerly occupied by Typhoon; it's being opened by the owners of what was Tangerine on Yew Street in Kitsilano.  Methinks you had too much vino.  :wink:

Thanks Moosh!

Mm actually thats the thing. Typhoon is getting "Habit" BUT theres an empty commercial space in my building next to "Johnston and Olivia". This is the "mystery spot"!

And yes I did have too much Vino. I was RED when I got home!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Wink is that little veggie place canucklehead wrote about, IIRC.

Dear Lord woman! THAT POST was made at the end of August. What a memory!

Canucklehead hadn't been either :sad:

A.

I think he has been? but I could be wrong.

I pass by there every week on my way to cooking class! so I always say to myself, "Oh, yeah, that's that place!" :laugh:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Hi everyone: longtime lurker, first time poster.

I've been a 'general' (or whatever) member for almost a year now, and after all the interesting discussions I've read, this was the thread that finally prompted me to write my 'essay' to become a participating member lol.

In response to ZM's question (from May, sorry I'm late) on where to eat Indian food on Main, I have to recommend 'Best Quality Sweets' at 7260 Main (near 57th), where my mom and I dined a month or so ago.

If you look past the takeout menu (where, if I blurred my eyes, about four of the 20 or so pieces of Microsoft Clipart actually looked like Indian food) and the decor (100% hole-in-the-wall takeout joint) it's really worth a try. The prices are beyond reasonable, the service is everything one could desire (assuming 'everything' comprises friendly, attentive, efficient and so darn cute), and the food ranges from 'excellent value for $' to sublime. And it IS dine-in, despite what it looks like from the door.

Forgive me if I am not completely accurate, my single visit was a month ago, but I'll try to describe our meal as best I can.

My mom and I usually go to the All India, but we were shopping for cotton, and this place was next door so we decided to give it a try.

The menu is vegetarian and very similar to All India (albeit a smaller selection) but the food is fresher and the service is superior. My mom let me order, and I chose the 'Best Quality Combo' appetizer (at $5.95 one of the most expensive items on the menu and frankly a starter built for three or four, not two), Puri Chana (another appie), Palak Paneer, rice for two and chapatis.

The Combo was typical, comprising two potato samosas, two (or was it four) potato tikkis (hockey pucks of mashed potato rolled in chana flour and fried - the comparison to a hockey puck is purely size, not texture), a handful of pakoras (mostly crucifers and spinach dipped in batter and deep-fried) and 6 (I think) paneer pakoras (squares of fresh Indian cheese dipped in chana batter and deep-fried).

Folks, it was huge. I often order appie combos as meals, but I couldn't have finished this one by myself - and yes, I know this was a grease fest, with four deep-fried battered appies, so no teasing. Of the four items, only the Samosas were sub-par (in my opinion). The veggie pakoras were as good as any I've had, the tikkis (though a little salty IIRC) were very good, the filling fluffier than I'm accustomed to and the batter nicely-cooked and not greasy, but the paneer pakoras were absolutely divine, nicely spiced with whole cumin and somthing green and tasty, the cheese with a nice texture and the batter crispy and delicious. I never dreamt they could taste so good. And it was obvious that at least the last two items (paneer pakoras and tikkis) were cooked to order. It also came with some nice pickled and fresh veggies as garnish, and a sweet (plum I think) and savoury (mint) chutney.

The Puri Chana (a decent serving of chickpea stew with a deep-fried - not baked - naan, a great value at $2.99) was wonderful. My mom loved it, and she usually shies away from dal. The naan was greasy, crispy and tender in delicious balance, and the chickpea stew was flavourful without being too spicy and had a 'fresh' flavour notably absent from all but the best restaurant dal (IMO of course).

Palak Paneer is my favourite Indian dish, and theirs was good. I'm not raving, because this thick stew made from spinach, mild spices and fresh Indian cheese is a dish I think I make better than anywhere I've had it excepting Lazeez Rubina Tandoori, but it was definitely edible. The chapatis we used to scoop it up were very tender and the rice was perfectly cooked and not as salty as some pulao is.

The server(s) were attentive and quick but not obsequious, refilled our waters numerous times (although I must say we were the only diners out of - six? - tables) and made a pot of coffee for us in the middle of the afternoon.

Portions? Well, we could have forgone the Palak Paneer and been completely satisfied. The leftovers - which we begged, eyes bulging, to take home with us - made a perfect midnight snack for me (sorry mom, you should try to stay up later). As for our choice of dishes: yup, it was a verifiable grease-in. If you're looking for rabbit food, this isn't the place, but there are lots of items on the menu that *aren't* deep-fried: next time I plan on trying the kofta (think falafel mix, combined with ground vegetables, rolled into balls and cooked in a delicately-spiced cream sauce), mutter paneer (a slightly sweet, thin stew of green peas and fresh Indian cheese), baingan bhartha (roasted eggplant and tomato stew with lots of onion and garlic), and one of the pranthas (a baked stuffed bread dish).

They have some yummy-looking desserts, but I don't know if I'll have room.

On our way out we commented to one of the servers that after eating there we'd never return to All India, and she replied, 'Everyone says that.'

That says it all really.

They do seem to do quite good business, there were quite a few pick-ups while we were there, though we remained the sole occupants of the dining room.

They're open from 9-9 every day, their number's 604-324-6677, and they have take-out and delivery; although I'd recommend eating in, in order to take advantage of the freshness of preparation and friendly service.

Edited by Anchoress (log)

Wow. Welcome to the nuthouse, Anchoress, and brava for an outstanding first post.

It's always great to add another East Indian restaurant to my limited repertoire; thank you for providing such a detailed writeup of your experience at Best Quality Sweets.

I'm looking forward to reading a lot more from you! :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Wow.  Welcome to the nuthouse, Anchoress, and brava for an outstanding first post.

It's always great to add another East Indian restaurant to my limited repertoire; thank you for providing such a detailed writeup of your experience at Best Quality Sweets.

I'm looking forward to reading a lot more from you!  :smile:

I'll second that emotion!

Palak paneer is one of my absolute faves as well. Is the Rubina Tandoori you're talking about in your post the one that closed down and the same family owns Tamarind on W Broadway? I'd love to hear a report on Tamarind if anyone's been there recently.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Welcome Aboard Anchoress!

I've eaten there too. Really good value is the right comment! I'm a sucker for butter chicken and they usually have some. Mmmm

Indian desserts are a little too sweet and deadly for me, but I love Gulab Jamin. Man Alive. There's a place called 'tastey sweets' in Surrey with incredibal Gulab Jamin, but alas thats a topic for another thread :biggrin:

The night that I was there were a couple of teenagers who were so baked - they smelled like reefer madness.  They had a tonne of wings - then they wobbled across the street to McD's.  Oh... those days are behind me.

Do they give you volume discounts if I order 200 wings and scarf em myself? The record for me at "red's" in victoria was 150 wings. Yeah thinking about it now it's pretty sick but at the time it was a brilliant idea!

The night that I was there were a couple of teenagers who were so baked - they smelled like reefer madness.  They had a tonne of wings - then they wobbled across the street to McD's.  Oh... those days are behind me.

Do they give you volume discounts if I order 200 wings and scarf em myself? The record for me at "red's" in victoria was 150 wings. Yeah thinking about it now it's pretty sick but at the time it was a brilliant idea!

Dude

They have a wall of fame for those who are able to scarf down multiple portions of their super hot wings. So at Wingnuts - it is not just volume - but pain endurance. I ate (I think) 24 wings - but they were just teriyaki - so no wall of fame for me.

^ yikes. Wings i can do. Hot wings? Mega hot wings? That's heartburn waiting to happen!

This isn't exactly main but on kingsway on 12th there is also Jang mo jib. Good food, terrible decore! The one downtown is way better.

Now that the cold weather is here, my craving for the pear bread pudding with creme Anglaise at Sweet Revenge has been awakened. On a Friday night, the place was warm, cozy, and almost full. The atmosphere was convivial and upbeat. I'm wondering about what Canucklehead said upthread about the flavored rooibus tasting artificial. I had the ginger rooibus and it did have an acrid edge. I guess, since I usually put milk in the vanilla rooibus I didn't notice it. I wonder how the rooibus is "flavored". Next time I will ask. Anywhoo, they have plenty of other teas to choose from. They also have a really nice plain rooibus.

My only complaint about the pear bread pudding is that I wish it came in a larger portion, but then again, it's probably good it doesn't, since it's so delicious. The bread has melted into the custard, giving it a creamy texture, with luscious chunks of pear that are not mushy, but toothsome. I think this dish has officially become one of my siren songs. :wub:

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

But they wash dishes at the back of the room!  :blink:  Plus I found it quite cramped.

But they're open till 5:30am! :biggrin:

Erm that might also mean they dont have much time to clean the kitchen before they re-open...

I have to recommend 'Best Quality Sweets' at 7260 Main (near 57th), where my mom and I dined a month or so ago.

They're open from 9-9 every day, their number's 604-324-6677, and they have take-out and delivery; although I'd recommend eating in, in order to take advantage of the freshness of preparation and friendly service.

On the strength of Anchoress' recommendation I stopped by and had a quick lunch @ Best Quality today-it's all she says it is and more.

The food is sublime/ambrosial and a bargain at twice the price.

If Indian food interests you at all this is a place you must try.

Thanks for the friendly greetings everyone.

Wow.  Welcome to the nuthouse, Anchoress, and brava for an outstanding first post.:smile:

Thanks! And shout out from East Van, I was one of the servers at Da Francesco's across from the Hastings Library (that's how I heard of this place).

I'll second that emotion!

Palak paneer is one of my absolute faves as well. Is the Rubina Tandoori  you're talking about in your post the one that closed down and the same family owns Tamarind on W Broadway?

Zuke

I didn't know that they owned Tamarind, but I heard they closed recently; a shame, cuz I loved the place (the Kingsway Rubina, I heard there was another one somewhere).

Welcome Aboard Anchoress!

I've eaten there too.  Really good value is the right comment!  I'm a sucker for butter chicken and they usually have some. Mmmm:biggrin:

Thanks for the greeting! Odd though, about the butter chicken; the 'Best Quality Sweets' where we dined was advertised as '100% Vegetarian' - sure the place you're thinking of isn't somewhere different?

On the strength of Anchoress' recommendation I stopped by and had a quick lunch @ Best Quality today-it's all she says it is and more.

The food is sublime/ambrosial and a bargain at twice the price.

If Indian food interests you at all this is a place you must try.

Yay! Glad you liked it. May I ask what you had?

Wow.  Welcome to the nuthouse, Anchoress, and brava for an outstanding first post. :smile:

Thanks! And shout out from East Van, I was one of the servers at Da Francesco's across from the Hastings Library (that's how I heard of this place).

Aha! We were regulars at Da Francesco, both for eat-in and take-out meals. Take a close look at my avatar... perhaps you'll recognize my son... the flirty one! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

• 2 months later...

Finally, we made it to Aurora. N took me out for a belated bday dinner, the big 3-2! Peppyre, you are merely a pup! (Or should I say kitten - why do I always associate dogs with males and cats with females?)

Anywho...

This has turned into a long-winded spew for which I apologize, but if you want the Coles notes: excellent appetizers, good mains (super rich), great dessert, will definitely return.

Okay, first impressions are good; we both liked the kind of minimalist decoration yet warm colours of the room, and I personally love the curved effects all over - most notably on the ceiling above the bar. But the underlit thing above the baquette with the curved ends was cool too.

The infamous Kurtisk seated us, and we were very quickly offered a choice of ice water or sparkling by our waitress Meghan (?I think? Sorry!). I had kind of staked out the menu beforehand, but then all plans were shattered when I was told they were out of the potato-wrapped sablefish!

No worries; relax, regroup. I tossed my original planned starter (bison carpaccio), and instead went with the House Made BC Venison and Fennel Sausage - braised with sunchokes and cabbage in Merridale cider. Good choice! I was really impressed with the flavours that Jeff crammed into it: subtle, sometimes not, gamey notes offset by the occasional flash of fennel. And the cabbage and pickled veg salad was excellent, not to mention the cider sauce which I mopped up with bread. N had the Hazelmere Farm Beet Salad with Okanagan Goats Cheese - orange chive blossom vinaigrette, which she loved. Three types or colours of beets, I tried a yellow with some cheese. So creamy! It really inspired me to start roasting beets at home; despite the mess, I think it will be worth it, especially for special occasions.

For my main, I was so tempted to go with the root beer short ribs, but in the end I had the Pork Tenderloin - maple and mustard seed glaze, Okanagan goats cheese and apple crumble. HUGE piece of tenderloin, beautifully roasted with a pink center. God, I thought the cheese was creamy with the beets - well with the apple crumble, it was richness heaven to the point of being hell. I mean, like smoking, something so good can't possibly be good for you, right? It was actually a bit too rich for me, I couldn't even bring myself to finish the last 2 teaspoons worth. It was almost like a Mr Creosote moment, where the only way I could have eaten the last bits was if someone stuffed it into my mouth.

Part of the reason I chose the pork over the short ribs was because I thought it would go better with the wine - Nichol Valley Capriccio 2004 (74% Pinot, 24% Gamay). Such an interesting wine, we don't get much here in the way of Pinot/Gamay blends but this one was bold with its nose and equally so in taste with its fruits and oak. I really enjoyed it, and what a bargain at $32. The first thing that occurred to me when tasting was that it would make a great summer patio red (which is seconded on the website - ah, sweet affirmation).

N's main was the Roasted Half Cornish Game Hen - sherry and wild mushroom sauce, crushed fingerling potatoes with sage. Also well executed, I got to garborate the plate after she was done including some nicely roasted skin. Mmm. The sauce (gravy) was so rich as well, it had started to separate a bit by the time I got it and I'm pretty sure half of it was butter. Yes I was still suffering from creamy overdose from my own plate, but hey you gotta taste everything or else They take away the eG trucker hat.

For dessert, it was the Vanilla Bean Pannacotta - caramelized roasted pineapple and chocolate salad. I love congealed things for dessert - creme brulee, creme caramel. Why? Who knows. This one, covered in vanilla bean seeds and combined with the pineapple, was pretty close to perfect. Light and refreshing without skimping on flavour. And the chocolate salad! As Zuke said way upthread, what a great idea. This one had thyme of all things, and it worked! The lemon thyme is still going in our garden, maybe "thyme" to do some home experiments. (Haha, pun intended to draw KT out of posting retirement.)

So the pannacotta and the sausage were the highlights for me, but I am still curious about the bison carpaccio and the short ribs - and the sablefish of course. We'll be back.

Some other notes:

1. As I have said, the meal was great though one thought did occur to me. The pork tenderloin was roasted perfectly to retain a spot of pink in the middle, but even with this it seemed slightly on the dry side (still very tender mind you). So I wonder if it would work as a chop or double chop? Probably I could handle a bit of a cut back of the rich cheesy apple crumble to compensate? Dunno, just wondering out loud. As I said, though, the dish was good - and since it is a favourite off the menu, this comment is probably just one of personal taste.

2. Dollar-wise it was a good deal, $60 pp including taxes excluding tip for two courses plus a shared dessert plus a shared bottle of wine. Definitely ranking up there with Cru and Lumiere TB for bang for the buck.

3. Timing was almost scary (in a good way); the appetizers came out fairly quickly, and the mains followed right on the heels as our first plates were being taken away. I checked my watch, it was 45 minutes after arriving. Yet there was no rushed feeling, and in fact, we ended up spending 2 hours there. But if we wanted to, we could have been in and out in 1:20. I imagine it will be just as smooth for DOV.

4. Speaking of, there was a group of DOV "media" present - I overheard them getting the lamb cheeks and I was quite jealous. Aurora is not on our DOV list because we already had them scheduled for last night, but if the cheeks are a hit I hope they make it onto Jeff's regular menu.

5. Had a quick chat with Kurtis, he seems like a nice guy :wink: . It was Jeff's night off though, so perhaps next time I'll get to say hi.