• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Main Street

Why not both?  :wink: 

We started with the donuts, then had our breakfast mains.  Yes, we are both piggies.  :biggrin:

Mmmmm....crack donuts....

I fully intend to :biggrin:

One of my mother-in-law's friends discovered wrapping the doughnuts in duck bacon.

discus.

oohhhhhhhhh..........

I like it. Salty, sweet'n'spiced. Sounds naughty.

:raz:

Quentina

Nyala Afrian Restauarnt is opening a second location in mid March at 26th and Main. I will post more in openings thread when I have more info. Cate

This is intriguing to me.... the spot on West 4th does not seem to be particularly busy... in fact; it seems to be almost "dead" at times.

Is the spot on Main supposed to be in addition, or instead of? I have a feeling they'd be better off on Main than in their current location.

More information and a review of it here. :wink:

:smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

• 1 month later...

The Green Room has been quietly going about its thing for years- it used to be at the library square downtown. Now it is on trendy Main Street arriving before-not 1st but before the masses chased down the trendy ness of the area.

The green room is one of the best vegie restaurants in Vancouver- miles ahead of the naam (not sure why it is still here). It is a small and very energetic place with a great space that brings calmness to the most hectic day. Desserts are also very good there. I would go every week if I were still in Vancouver- I am going again in the end of the month and it is on the top of my list.

steve

http://www.thegreenroomcafe.com/

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Has anyone been to Cipriano's recently. It's been more than a decade since I was last there. I enjoyed it then and was thinking about going, but I have heard mixed reviews recently.

Dude - I went a year ago and it was kinda nasty. Their ceasar salad was still good with plump croutons and pecorino romano. The pastas were a little over blown and the sauces too tomato pasty. But - if it was nice relaxed place - there would be no reason to be so picky - but the owner was giving off a really unfriendly vibe and just seemed like a prick. He was chatting with a table of customers - but every other word was "fuck", "fucking" or "dumshit". If I want to hear that I kind of language - I'd be down at the HSG.

Has anyone been to Cipriano's recently. It's been more than a decade since I was last there. I enjoyed it then and was thinking about going, but I have heard mixed reviews recently.

Dude - I went a year ago and it was kinda nasty. Their ceasar salad was still good with plump croutons and pecorino romano. The pastas were a little over blown and the sauces too tomato pasty. But - if it was nice relaxed place - there would be no reason to be so picky - but the owner was giving off a really unfriendly vibe and just seemed like a prick. He was chatting with a table of customers - but every other word was "fuck", "fucking" or "dumshit". If I want to hear that I kind of language - I'd be down at the HSG.

I have never said dumshit!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 2 months later...
Any indian recommendations on south main? I've seen a place called Nirvana around Main & Broadway but never tried it.

Main & Broadway is south Main??

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Any indian recommendations on south main? I've seen a place called Nirvana around Main & Broadway but never tried it.

I'm lukewarm on Nirvana as well. I've been there three times. The first time the lights were flickering at a frequency which made my eyes water. The next two visits I just didn't find the food that memorable.

yes. Main and Broadway is now known as "SOMA" or "south main". Just like south Granville is Granville and broadway. Don't ask.

Now if you were to head to SOUTH south main (like 49th and main) there be some delightful indian restaurants there. All India Sweets is a pretty decent bet but there are tonnes in that area.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

yes. Main and Broadway is now known as "SOMA" or "south main". Just like south Granville is Granville and broadway. Don't ask.

Yeah, as in SOUTH of downtown, Duh! :raz:

A.

Yeah, as in SOUTH of downtown,  Duh! :raz:

A.

Downtown being the center of the known universe. I prefer to think of my place being the center. Downtown being north and SOMA being central. :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

"Screw" "SOMA" - tired abbreviation and not even geographically correct (Arne don't try to sell me any of that "south of downtown" stuff, when you say south you have to talk in reference to the city itself!).

Anywho, turning off the crabby old man persona... Chutney Villa on Broadway just west of Main. I've not been a lot of times, but the times I've been have been quite good.

"... Chutney Villa on Broadway just west of Main.  I've not been a lot of times, but the times I've been have been quite good.

I go to Chutney Villa regularly, and really enjoy their homemade chutneys. Last time I went there was one with banana in it that was quite interesting. It is fun to go with a group of people so you can order a bunch of the smaller plates to share, but the lunch specials are great for solo dining. The cuisine is from Southern India which makes it different from most of the restaurants in town that focus on Northern Indian cuisine.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West