• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Main Street

i used to go to this little place on 6th and main called the whip.. very cool vibe there and the food was delicious.  haven't been for a while tho.. has anyone been?  is it still good?

Yes. The Whip] still holds as one of my favorite breaky places. Although Melriches in Yaletown takes the cake on crispy, salty potato block hashbrowns.

I also like Aurora Bistro, truly innovate stuff. I love the use of fruit and meat. I heard many good things about brunch there on weekends. It's on my list.

For a quick bite and really good value -> Hawker's Delight Hands down.

Japanese food? Try Toshi's . Rumour mill has it he owned "Sushi Village" in Whistler and retired but then opened up this 'little place on main'. I really like the food there. The sweet miso eggplant...my god.

There's a new kid in town -> Habit - I havn't tried but I should.

For dinner, I also enjoy Locus .

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

^

I enjoyed Locus the times I've been there, but not everybody agrees with us --> http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=227 :unsure:

However, I have been disappointed by Havana in the past :sad: which is a shame, because I really wanted to enjoy their food. Am I the only one?

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

^

I enjoyed Locus the times I've been there, but not everybody agrees with us --> http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=227  :unsure:

However, I have been disappointed by Havana in the past :sad: which is a shame, because I really wanted to enjoy their food. Am I the only one?

although havana is not on main st, but on commercial, i've always been disappointed there. i won't go anymore. thank the food (and beer) gods for stella's across the street.

Quentina

^

I enjoyed Locus the times I've been there, but not everybody agrees with us --> http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=227  :unsure:

About Locus, maybe it's a matter of them operating really poorly for a while, and then later improving, or maybe you've just been lucky. I've had one of my most unpleasant Vancouver dining experiences there. The one time I went there, I enjoyed the funky atmosphere, but I remember our food taking a really long time to get out to us. Then when our meals did arrive, my duck breast was so overcooked, it was hard to chew. It was so bad, I still somewhat regret not speaking with the manager, but I was stuck in a situation where I couldn't. I'm not one to send things back, but if I hadn't been starving by that time, been with a group (3-4 people eating while one person waits is awkward) plus I didn't know everyone that well, and we had plans to go somewhere else afterwards, so I was thinking if it took them that long to get our food to us in the first place, I wouldn't get anything to eat if I sent it back. Anyway, too many good restaurants in Vancouver, and even in the main st. area, that it's not worth worrying about. I just have never gone back. Out of curiousity, what do you like to eat at Locus?

Nancy

^

Out of curiousity, what do you like to eat at Locus?

Nancy

Maybe I was just lucky? And maybe the time you went to Locus the chef was smoking a doobie and forgot to take out the chicken in time? I am pretty sure I had their chicken dish as well. I always try to follow my cardial rule about going out to eat and I will share it with you. Don't go to Denny's and expect French Laundry, in either the service or the food. So when I go to the Locus, I stick to items which are hard to screw up, even if they tried (like a burger). Now mind you, I haven't been there in about a year because I used to go there with my gf who is now my ex... Not that I'm bitter!! :raz:

By the way, anybody visited The Main? Went there once last year, was not impressed at all. I think the place has so much potential, and its not that I found the food to be bad, just not very original. Just like dozens of other family-run Greek places around the GVRD. Any thoughts? :huh:

Edited by eugene (log)

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

^ I too havnt been to Locus in many many months. I'm a little disheartened at the prospect that it has gone down hill a bit. I do recall the drinks being very good tho (good - read - stiff).

Thoughtbox mentioned this crazy burrito place BEHIND Aurora Bistro. Anyone try this place?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

^ I too havnt been to Locus in many many months.  I'm a little disheartened at the prospect that it has gone down hill a bit.  I do recall the drinks being very good tho (good - read - stiff).

Thoughtbox mentioned this crazy burrito place BEHIND Aurora Bistro.  Anyone try this place?

The place is called Budgies Burritos. I can safely say our kitchen staff has probably consumed a good thousand burritos from there since they opened last spring. Despite the fact that they are vegetarian, and we all love our meat, we still eat tons of them. Lately I find I've burnt out on them though, but that's bound to happen with anyone's food, no matter how good. I would suggest giving it a try. It may not be for everyone, it's not a purist's burrito, but they are tasty and cheap.

This is a bit off the main st. topic, but I used to go to a place on commercial called Pastor Taco that served a wicked braised beef tounge burrito. They closed a few years ago, and I've never seen another beef tongue burrito, or "Burritto Langue" (sp?) since. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

^

Out of curiousity, what do you like to eat at Locus?

Nancy

Maybe I was just lucky? And maybe the time you went to Locus the chef was smoking a doobie and forgot to take out the chicken in time? I am pretty sure I had their chicken dish as well. I always try to follow my cardial rule about going out to eat and I will share it with you. Don't go to Denny's and expect French Laundry, in either the service or the food. So when I go to the Locus, I stick to items which are hard to screw up, even if they tried (like a burger). Now mind you, I haven't been there in about a year because I used to go there with my gf who is now my ex... Not that I'm bitter!! :raz:

By the way, anybody visited The Main? Went there once last year, was not impressed at all. I think the place has so much potential, and its not that I found the food to be bad, just not very original. Just like dozens of other family-run Greek places around the GVRD. Any thoughts? :huh:

Don't shoot the messenger. I wasn't expecting the best duck of my life. I was expecting edible, though. And actually, if I went to Locus expecting Denny's standards, I'd have been even more disappointed. No self-respecting Denny's cook would have let that duck breast get out of the kitchen (if they decided to serve duck, that is). I'm not talking personal preference in doneness here, it was actually hard to chew. Denny's wouldn't have ever taken that long to get us our meal, either, or if they had, there would have been more acknowledgement of it. The comments on your link suggest that my experience wasn't an isolated incident, anyway. Just so you know, it does take a lot for me to dislike a restaurant this much.

I've been to the Main a couple of times, and enjoyed it both times, and would go again. Nothing fancy, but everything, food and service, was executed very well.

Other Main St. favourites include Sweet Revenge for desserts, Aurora, one of the little pho places (sorry, don't remember what it's called), Kam's Bakery, Whip Gallery, Slickety Jim's, Bo Kong, Sun Sui Wah, Helen's Grill, The Reef, and Accord.

I'd like to try Toshi's, Habit, and go to Cafe Montmartre again (just had a drink there once).

^ Well at least we agree to disageee! :raz:

We usually go to The Main every couple of months when Rich plays there, sometimes we even eat a little food! It's my favorite place for Greek food in the city, although it outright baffles me that there aren't any excellent Greek places in town.

Habit's also a good time, the Crispy Tofu/Mushrooms/Spinach dish is awesome. We recently tricked a tofu-hating carniverous friend into trying it and he loved it!

k

<edited to add that I was gonna post more, but we had a washroom flood I had to attend to. Washroom floods will always happen on a busy Friday night. We love that. :hmmm: >

Edited by kurtisk (log)

Happiness is a machaca Mexican sub from the Cambodian/Mexican Duffin's Donuts on Main.

Thick, spicy stew and hot sauce ladled onto avocado, banana peppers, raw onions and cold lettuce served on a fresh French sub. Add a bottle of water and it's still less than five dollars.

I ask myself: Why don't they do churros? Maybe if enough of us ask, we'll create a tipping point?

they are now serving Phnom Penh coffee. Churros plus Vietnamese coffee = :wub:.

The Main does good slow-cooked lamb for dinner and also good eggs bennies on brunch days.

The Locus puts me somewhere in the dark side of the Narnia Chronicles, where people eat animals who talk. I think it's in The Silver Chair that the stag says something to the effect of "Please don't eat me, I woudn't be very tender."

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Happiness is a machaca Mexican sub from the Cambodian/Mexican Duffin's Donuts on Main.

Thick, spicy stew and hot sauce ladled onto avocado, banana peppers, raw onions and cold lettuce served on a fresh French sub. Add a bottle of water and it's still less than five dollars.

I ask myself: Why don't they do churros? Maybe if enough of us ask, we'll create a tipping point?

they are now serving Phnom Penh coffee. Churros plus Vietnamese coffee = :wub:.

The Main does good slow-cooked lamb for dinner and also good eggs bennies on brunch days.

The Locus puts me somewhere in the dark side of the Narnia Chronicles, where people eat animals who talk. I think it's in The Silver Chair that the stag says something to the effect of "Please don't eat me, I woudn't be very tender."

Zuke

I'm so with you on Duffins Zuke. I've said it before, probably on this thread. There are so many mediocre over-priced sandwiches in this city. Duffins however makes a damn fine sandwich. All the prerequisits are there: good bread, fresh ingredients, perfect proportion of filling to bread, just messy enough, and delicious. I really think they make some of the best sandwiches in the city. Just stay away from the donuts!

Solly's off Main now has Hot Doggels--an all beef giant hot dog baked in challah-type bread. Laced with their hot mustard--this is the best dawg I've had since a pool hall puppy in Montréal. They even have a bottle of sri r. rooster sauce if you like it.

Cheap eats, bone appetits!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I just saw on the news that the Foundation had a Hep A incident recently! One of the handlers was infected and they (responsibally) had everyone who ate there go in for vaccinations. This must be tough on the industry as you can't really guarantee protection from incidents like these can you?

I just saw on the news that the Foundation had a Hep A incident recently! One of the handlers was infected and they (responsibally) had everyone who ate there go in for vaccinations.  This must be tough on the industry as you can't really guarantee protection from incidents like these can you?

Quotring a blog entry:

"CBC Radio announced as their headlining story at 10 am today that anyone who ate at The Foundation Lounge/Restaurant on Main and 7th on January 7th, 8th, 9th or 14th needs to get a Hepatitis A vaccine and immune globulin ASAP.

One of their employees has Hep A and you need to especially seek treatment if you had raw fruits or vegetables, salad or hummus on those nights.

Disease Control is offering free Hep A vaccines today at the Ravensong Community Health Clinic at 8th and Ontario today from 2 - 4 pm."

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

^ Corollary

If you had vaccinations withing 5 years you are probably fine but you might want to call them to make sure. In case people don't know TwinRix is a HepA/B vaccination. Many people get it for travelling so you might already have it.

• 2 weeks later...

For CNY - went down to Aurora for brunch today and not suprisingly - it was very good. Great neighbourhood vibe, really hearty portions, and great flavors. The menu had a nice selection of 'normal' offerings if you wanted your brunch safe and comforting - but also had some nice twists if you were in a more adventurous frame of mind.

The five spice donuts were plain ole spectacular. Fresh and hot - satisfyingly rich but brightened with fruit in the batter, delicous plum syrup and nice warm spiciness (a light hand with the five spice).

gallery_25348_1380_9020.jpg

A big box of donuts, two entrees, two coffees and a glass of OJ - all for about 40 bucks. The patrons are of that really good looking Main St ilk - so you can pretend that you are in a VW commercial while you eat.

Then later this evening - I stopped by Habit to have a quick snack. What nice people! Our server (Jacque?) was super nice and clearly knew what he was doing - one of my party decided to have a brandy based drink - and you could see him warming up the snifter with hot water. It was quiet - but the room looks great and the mexican hot chocolate was perfect for a dark rainy night. Smooth as a ganache with cinnamon and cayenne heat. Will be back to try out the menu.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

• 1 month later...
Oh, and Alexandra Gill has a review of Habit in yesterday's Globe. She doesn't find much to like about it, in contrast to most of the other reviews so far.

By "other reviews" do you mean reviews of Habit, or reviews by Gill? Both would be correct mind you ... :laugh:

A.

Oh, and Alexandra Gill has a review of Habit in yesterday's Globe. She doesn't find much to like about it, in contrast to most of the other reviews so far.

By "other reviews" do you mean reviews of Habit, or reviews by Gill? Both would be correct mind you ... :laugh:

A.

I meant other reviews of Habit which have been pretty positive.

Cheers,

Anne

I've had quite a few nasty e-mails and calls concerning her review of Habit from industry people over the last few days and a few, including Wendy (Habit co-owner), have weighed in about it on my site. I was a little surprised that she quoted several food writers, myself included, if only to establish how different her take on Habit was. She leans on us as references? Flattering, but disturbing, no?

A colleague at one of downtown's busier eateries sent me this:

"Isn't the Globe's tagline 'Never Stop Thinking'? Someone call me when she starts."

Many might disagree with her estimation of Habit (and question her mysterious methodology), but she has a right to her opinions, shot from the hip though they might be.

Poor Habit. There's a reason she had to wait 40 minutes....

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

The locals obviously like this Habit. I feel sorry for them if this is as good as it gets in Vancouver's East End. To paraphrase Eliza Doolittle, this is a lame place on Main that falls far below the plain.

I think the attitude from these two last sentences sum up the review rather accurately.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

The locals obviously like this Habit. I feel sorry for them if this is as good as it gets in Vancouver's East End. To paraphrase Eliza Doolittle, this is a lame place on Main that falls far below the plain.

I think the attitude from these two last sentences sum up the review rather accurately.

Or maybe the pun was just too good to pass up, "An easy habit to break."

Serously though, panning a restaurant based on one visit is just really bad form. Although that's how it reads, I hope she has been more than once. That's precisely the reason you don't find many negative reviews on my site, if I go once and it sucks I won't write a review based on that because it could have easily been an off-night. But then again, I can't afford to revisit places I don't like. The result: almost no negative reviews.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

But then again, I can't afford to revisit places I don't like.  The result: almost no negative reviews.

Amen. The true issue here and why it really is pretty hard to "avoid" places based on reviews. Only word or mouth works this way since people are more inclined to speak their minds over coffee than to actually write it in stone. Every place deserves a second chance yet there are too many places to try to warrant going somewhere you didn't particularily like the first time.

Ok I really am curious about that mexican place on main and broadway on the second floor: El Taco I think that's what it's called. It looks a little scarey but I want to know if anyone has tried it.

[edit] Oops sorry it's actually called El Rancho :)

Edited by fud (log)