• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Custom/Specialty Cake Shops

BROWNSUGA

I was able to watch the Birthday Cake Competion that was aired on foodnetwork. I truly enjoyed it!! What was interesting to me was that three of them (I think it was all of the women) were "career changers" and own their own shop. Although they were very talented, these three havent been doing involved with baking and pastry for very long. I think two of these three have attended school for baking and pastry. The other one did not.

It made me wonder. (I am always wondering. :biggrin: ) I wondered what's involved with owning/running a small cake shop that produces quality (in appearance and taste) custom cakes. What type of background should one have? Is formal education in baking and pastry beneficial? (I am aware that some of you here are career changers.)

As far as running/owning a shop, I have read some of the threads on mel's blog. Would owning a custom cake shop be similar to that of a full-service bakery? What other things need to be considered if someone wanted to pursue something like this?

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

Edited by BROWNSUGA (log)

A lot of work. A specialty cake shop requires a lot of support from the town you live in. You pretty much have to be very very talented, or the much more common, be very well known/ popular with good advertising skills.

Quite honestly I am not impressed with the average specialty cake shop. There are a couple of ladies on here that do a sensational job and I almost wish they're were more like them. I've had a lot of experience with "career changing women", not many men, and they usually just want to get to the point where they are making a living. It's not often I meet one, well I have never met one until I joined this site, that keeps pushing the limits and learns quickly. What you have to do is educate and practice your skills as much as possible until you are overly confident and then make a decision. Also, the biggest thing, keep in touch with what is going on every single day with new and modern twists to the pastry world. Don't just settle with common italian buttercream cakes over and over and over and over. Just because you change the color or the title on the cake or even the filling doesn't make you anything special. Push the envelope, always.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Greetings,

In response to your question, while I don't have a store front shop yet and not sure if I ever will, I have built a small bakery business that I run from my home.

Here's how things have gone for me, first in late '01 I started out taking some general cake decorating classes (Wilton) made it through the first two courses was held up on the wedding cake portion because the instructor went on medical leave. I lucked up and found another baking supply store that taught classes started all over with the basics and went through to the wedding cake course passed and viola!!

I work fulltime and many of my customers are my co-workers, family members and friends.

My husband and I had a house built in '03 which allowed me to design my kitchen for baking and in '04 my business really picked up so I thought until this year where I am baking on average 3-5 cakes a week. Not a lot for most but considering I work a fulltime job and do my cakes part time it's a lot.

I have only made one what I consider to be a WOW cake so far which is when I received a request to make a red hat cake and I was impressed with myself and so were my co-workers and the customer. I have gained alot of my knowledge from people like chefpeon and sinclair from the this forum. I am not at their level yet but know I will be in the near future. I have also had the pleasure of meeting nightscottsman too who gave me some invaluable operational information as a pastry chef working for the Bellagio.

I most recently took on teaching cake decorating classes once a week which gives me an opportunity first to teach others the basics and also to test my skills too.

This past Friday I secured my first commercial account with a very large company that operates across the country. While my services will be within my area here in Cleveland, again another opportunity to build a reputation for myself and my company. I would agree the support in the community helps alot and right now my little one person business is running very well. My hope is to focus all my time and energy into my business, enjoy it, make money and leave the corporate job for someone else. :biggrin:

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

• 5 weeks later...
A lot of work.  A specialty cake shop requires a lot of support from the town you live in.  You pretty much have to be very very talented, or the much more common, be very well known/ popular with good advertising skills. 

Quite honestly I am not impressed with the average specialty cake shop.  There are a couple of ladies on here that do a sensational job and I almost wish they're were more like them.  I've had a lot of experience with "career changing women", not many men, and they usually just want to get to the point where they are making a living.  It's not often I meet one, well I have never met one until I joined this site, that keeps pushing the limits and learns quickly.  What you have to do is educate and practice your skills as much as possible until you are overly confident and then make a decision.  Also, the biggest thing, keep in touch with what is going on every single day with new and modern twists to the pastry world.  Don't just settle with common italian buttercream cakes over and over and over and over.   Just because you change the color or the title on the cake or even the filling doesn't make you anything special.  Push the envelope, always.

I hadnt realized there were responses to this thread until I went back browsing through my posts.

Thank you for responding. And thanks for the advice. I dont think there are any specialtiy cake shops in my area. If there are, I havent seen them. We do have alot of bakeries. I have had the pleasure of viewing the ones (that I am aware of) on the web. I would love to be half as talented as many of the folks here. Practice! Practice! Practice! :biggrin:

-----

Celenes, lucky you! Congrats on your business. And congratulations on your commercial account. Unfortunately, in my state, one is not allowed to sell good from home. I also work full-time. Initially, I wanted to do this part-time, but I have wondered about the possibilities of making a complete career change and if it is worth it. I dont know. I am confused!! :blink:

I have taken one Wilton class. I may take the other two just for the information. I would like to take other classes that go beyond Wilton. In the meantime, I rely on lots and lots of books.

I am still going to think things through about what options I would like to explore. I am not going to jump into anything too fast without giving it much thought.

(I've been away from eGullet for about a year now (I was literally reading it all day long and not getting much else done), but my addiction has kicked in again. I'm back!)

I'm just now in the process of "practicing" my cake designing abilities on my coworkers. I work full-time, but just finished an amateur pastry program at the French Culinary Institute here in NYC. I enrolled in the course for 2 reasons: 1) to hone my skills and develop my baking hobby a bit further; and 2) I wanted to decide, based on the amateur course, if it was worth $35K to take the professional course.

I was able to hone my skills and I learned a lot more than I had expected. We touched on a wide variety of pastry elements in our 100 hours. I decided that in the end, it wasn't worth it for me to spend the $35K to take the professional course, since I really want to focus just on cakes.

Our final project for the course was a 2-tiered special occasion cake. I made a Valentine Themed cake (which, quite frankly, I didn't think was all that impressive)and brought it into work with me. That very day, I had 3 women in the office ask me to make their wedding cakes! I've done a few birthday and baby shower cakes since then, just for my coworkers. And I did a huge wedding cake and groomscake for a complete stranger 3 weeks ago! A friend of mine has been pimping me out on a wedding message board she frequents.

I'm going to slowly build some word of mouth buzz through my friends and coworkers. If things go well, I will plan to form my business next summer. I plan to start off with a home-based business (forming my own corporation, getting abusiness license, getting my kitchen certified, etc.) and hopefully that will generate enough business to evenually look for a small commercial kitchen and someone to finance me. But I'm taking baby steps. I make sure to take good photographs of everything I make, which will eventually be posted on my soon-to-be revamped website.

Over the next few months, I will be taking some specific cake decorating classes. I will be taking a brush embroidery class from Colette Peters (the queen of cakedom!) and a few other decorating classes at the Institute of Culinary Education. I think taking some of the smaller, more specific decorating classes will benefit me more than the big pastry course will.

I think it's important to start small and really gauge the amount of time and effort involved. Burnout is rampant in the food industry. If things work out for me, I'd like to do cake designing full-time, but I'm also trying to be realistic in my approach. If my friends and coworkers are pleased with my work, and so are their firends, and so on and so on, I think I'll have a solid base for building a decent business.

Sherri A. Jackson

I know how you feel. I am addicted, too. :biggrin: I may not have alot of posts, but I lurk daily...sometimes a few times a day.

Lucky you!! You are surrounded by so much talent! That course sounds very interesting. I would love to take a similar course, but I dont think there is much in my area. I am definitely going to have to travel in order to take advantage of something like that. I am hoping to be able to take a class, focusing specifically on cake, somewhere by the end of the year.

Wow! $35k? And here I was wondering if I really wanted to shell out $15k tuition for a school in my area.

Your path sounds much like my desired path. Unfortunately, I cannot do any home-based anything in my state. Sure, it's ok for "practice", but I know that if I ever wanted to be "in business", I cannot do it out of my home. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I also want to be realistic in my approach as well. It's easy to dream big, huh! :biggrin:

Like you, I remain in "practice" mode using my friends and family. They dont mind. :biggrin: And my husband has been good at "pimping" me, too. He is good at volunteering me. He claims that he is helping me practice. :rolleyes:

Good luck and keep in touch!!!

I was actually one of those "career changers" you watched on the Food Networks Birthday Cake Challenge! Every cake designer I know took a different path to reach where they are now. The only constant is being passionate about the art. My background is in Visual Merchandising and Space Design... then in Theatre (set & costume design)... and then in event production... then one day I literally fell into cakes. I can't imagine taking any other route to get to where I am now and am no longer surprised when I here similar stories. I did go to culinary school (CIA) once I decided to go out on my own- mainly because I really had no formal culinary background since I came into designing through the back door. I knew going into school what I wanted to do so I was really focused on the end result. I think education of any kind is extremely valuable but there are other paths that can lead to the same end.

As far as owning your own business goes... it's more work that you could possibly imagine- and wonderful all at the same time. I think a custom cake design shop is much different than a full service bakery. If you are only doing specialty cakes it can be much more focused. You don't really even need to have a storefront with regular business hours. I have a studio that I meet clients at for tastings by appointment only and then work out of a commercial kitchen at another location. The upshot is that you can have a really flexible schedule. The flip side is that when you are starting out it's just you- doing everything... baking, making fillings, putting the cakes together, decorating, doing the dishes, mopping the floor!... meeting with clients... dealing with marketing... accounting... contracts... sourcing and shopping for ingredients and product... delivering the cakes... the list goes on.

Before starting out really research the market in your area. Where are people getting their cakes now? What are they paying? What can you offer that sets yourself apart from the competition? And don't assume that just because there might not be anyone in your area doing exactly what you plan on doing that you don't have competition. Can your area support another custom cake shop and pay the prices you intend to charge? Are you going to focus on wedding cakes or do cakes for all occasions?

I love what I do and know many designers that feel the same. It's tons of work- there are good days and bad- know that going in and if it is truly your passion then you will find a way to make it happen. Best of luck to you!

I was able to watch the Birthday Cake Competion that was aired on foodnetwork.  I truly enjoyed it!!  What was interesting to me was that three of them (I think it was all of the women) were "career changers" and own their own shop.  Although they were very talented, these three havent been doing involved with baking and pastry for very long.  I think two of these three have attended school for baking and pastry.  The other one did not. 

It made me wonder.  (I am always wondering.  :biggrin: )  I wondered what's involved with owning/running a small cake shop that produces quality (in appearance and taste) custom cakes.  What type of background should one have?  Is formal education in baking and pastry beneficial?  (I am aware that some of you here are career changers.)

As far as running/owning a shop, I have read some of the threads on mel's blog.  Would owning a custom cake shop be similar to that of a full-service bakery?  What other things need to be considered if someone wanted to pursue something like this? 

Thanks in advance.  :biggrin:

Justcake!! Wow! :shock: I didnt even read your post and got really excited to see you here!! Wow!! I love your cakes and your website!! Ok, I am getting myself together and and going back to reading your post!! :biggrin:

Ok, I have finished reading now! :wub: I saw you on the Birthday Cake Challenge. Great job! You are extremely talented!! I had read that you were a career changer, too. How inspiring! It is truly a pleasure to "meet" you!

Thank you so much for your advice and response. You have provided alot of great information and many things to consider. While it is encouraging, your advice is also realistic.

Again, thank you for your response!

Best wishes to you and your business!

Welcome aboard, Marina. The show was a good one and your cake was adorable. It's nice to hear about your career change since I'm doing the same thing right now. And you are so right about it's all you at this point! I'm used to the machine behind IBM (HR, admins - oh my god, I'd love an admin, classes, sales support, paychecks) and now I slowly have to get everything done myself. And make sure 5 year old twin girls have the education and social lives they believe they deserve!

Josette

Welcome to The eGullet Society For Arts & Letters Justcake!

So I had to figure out who you are too...........hum, you were already bookmarked as one of my favorite sites. Your technique is flawless. Can I ask you, what method do you prefer to use to get your frosting so perfectly smooth?

Hi, Marina! Greetings ((wildly waving)) from a fan from Malaysia! Yes, I managed to catch the taped show. I was rooting for you because you were so unassuming and un-diva-like!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Welcome to The eGullet Society For Arts & Letters Justcake!

So I had to figure out who you are too...........hum, you were already bookmarked as one of my favorite sites. Your technique is flawless. Can I ask you, what method do you prefer to use to get your frosting so perfectly smooth?

Hello... and thanks for the welcome.

Wendy- to answer your question about getting my icing smooth... I actually use a metal "paint shield" that you can find in the paint department of a hardware store- they are usually about 99 cents. I cut the bottom edge off at an angle (it's thin enough that a regular pair of scissors does the trick) and round off the edge. I've made them all different heights for a variety of cake heights. In any case, because it's a really thin edge it just glides across the buttercream. It's really all about the pressure though- how heavy your hand is so to speak- it's definitely harder to maneuver than other tools but once you figure out what "touch" works best it's hard to go back to using anything else. I used to use the flat edge of a plastic bowl scraper- and still do for crumb coats but when I iced up my first topsy turvey style cake the width of the scrapper didn't cut it. I had randomly come across the paint shields at the hardware store thinking they might work for something someday and pulled them out and it worked great. I love finding new uses for random items at hardware stores!

I've used it on a variety of buttercream types and it always produces a great result. Hope that helps!

Hello... and thanks for the welcome. 

Wendy- to answer your question about getting my icing smooth... I actually use a metal "paint shield" that you can find in the paint department of a hardware store- they are usually about 99 cents.  I cut the bottom edge off at an angle (it's thin enough that a regular pair of scissors does the trick) and round off the edge.  I've made them all different heights for a variety of cake heights.  In any case, because it's a really thin edge it just glides across the buttercream.  It's really all about the pressure though- how heavy your hand is so to speak- it's definitely harder to maneuver than other tools but once you figure out what "touch" works best it's hard to go back to using anything else.  I used to use the flat edge of a plastic bowl scraper- and still do for crumb coats but when I iced up my first topsy turvey style cake the width of the scrapper didn't cut it.  I had randomly come across the paint shields at the hardware store thinking they might work for something someday and pulled them out and it worked great. I love finding new uses for random items at hardware stores!

I've used it on a variety of buttercream types and it always produces a great result.  Hope that helps!

Welcome!

Okay, so call me dense... I don't do many cakes but would like to work on perfecting this challenging skill.

Would you mind walking me through, step-by-step, exactly what you do, i.e. type of buttercream (meringue, etc.) used, fresh or crusted over, room temperature or chilled. H-e-l-p, pleeze.

Thanks!

Di

I have been given thought and started formulating a plan...

Although I had an interest in a full Baking and Pastry program, I am leaning away from it. I dont think it will suit my needs/interest. Unfortunately, I am limited in my options for schools locally. Instead, I will look into "specialized" classes with some of the masters in the field. I will also try to find a part-time job working at a bakery or something of the sorts, just for some experience. And lastly, I will focus on business related courses.

Ahh, it feels good to have some sorts of direction. Thank you guys :wub:

Edited to add: Any comments, advice, or feedback would be appreciated. :biggrin:

Hi Folks,

I am glad I came back to check out the chatter on this topic. Marina I also saw the birthday cake challenge and I too was rooting for you. Bravo.

So here's my deal, I have decided as I mentioned before to leave my corporate job in the next few months. Thanks to a very supportive husband, I think we'll be o.k Since we're in our early forties, there's not much from a materialistic standpoint that we want. Just to assure we can make the mortgage payment, maybe get a new car to accomodate my business deliveries and a vacation every so often. While we have children from previous marriages, no one lives with us so that helps alot.

My corporate account has picked up a lot which is why I haven't been able to keep up on my forum participation. Also my private clients are still ordering too :blink:

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments about having to do everything yourself until your business is solid enough to hire help and if you're as crazed as I am, no one can meet up to my level of service in my mind. That's why I decorated 4 cakes last night, got up a 4 this morning and decorated another cake and then went to my fulltime job by 7:00. I know that's insane and I know I can't keep this pace up much longer. I will have to leave my other job soon. Plus I have another potential client in my back pocket too. It is quite apparent to me where my passion lies.

On the topic of targeting in on your offering, I have learned somewhat the hard way that you really have to only take on what you are best at. For me that's birthday, anniversary, baby shower type cakes. I tried the wedding cake arena, did some tastings with clients and then didn't end up getting the order. It was very frustrating for me until I realized, I can't compete with the Italian, Hungarian etc bakeries here or the bakeries that do really intricate design work. I am not versed on that yet and don't know if I ever will be. But the good news is, I think I'm o.k with that.

My business is still in the infancy stage and it probably may sound ridiculious to you but I am so excited that I have already surpassed my cake sales from last year at this time. Word of mouth is my best friend and like most of you I started out taking cake in to my co-workers projects I did in my Wilton training or recipes I wanted to try out etc. Next thing I knew they were asking me to make cakes for their special event. I think my customers appreciate the fact that I design what they want not what's in a bakery book at the local grocery store. I mean I delivered three Elmo themed order today to one woman for her daughter's birthday. Extreme if you ask me, but she told me when called around to the grocery store they would do a round cake only sheets. She ordered a 8", 9" and 2 dozen cupcakes. She was thrilled with what I provided her and I had fun designing the cakes. That's what it's about for me, fun even when I am having a problem with a cake, like when you turn it out of the pan the bottom sticks or the frosting texture won't work no matter what you do. :sad:

Another thing that has come up too is that my neighbor is running for our Mayor position and I might even get an opportunity to provide cake for his events. If I do that's another step forward.

So that's what happening in the world of Celene at present.

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

I actually use a metal "paint shield"

See Wendy? I told you the paint masker thingy was the thing to use! I'd discussed that eons ago!

Justcake, I was surprised that you said you cut yours at an angle and rounded it off......I buy

mine that way.......see?

paintthing.jpg

I don't need it that tall for a typical sized cake (4-6" tall) so I cut it closer to the handle so i have more control. The part that I round off is actually the sharp pointed end so it doesn't cut into the next tier when you ice a stacked cake. Also- I have on with a squared off end that's good for multiple tiers becase it smooths the tier below it as it goes. Everyone does things a bit differently! That's just what I've found works best for me!

This thread seems to have two different topics going in one. :blink:

Wow! Congratulations, Celenes!! Lucky you!! I am really happy for you!! Business is just picking up for you! That's great!

I work full-time, too. I try not to take onto much when it comes to cake-ing b/c I know I have to keep things in tact for the full-time job right now. I know it's hard, but make sure you get proper rest.

You raised a good point. I am not sure what area specifically I would like to concentrate on. Well, I have somewhat of an idea (custom cakes), but I am not exactly sure what kind (i.e. celebration, weddings, etc.).

Well, good luck to you! I hope everything works out!! You will be just fine!! Please come back to this thread and let us know how things go.....the good, the bad, and the UGLY!!! :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to make a stop at the hardware store this weekend and find one of those things. I'll begin a seperate thread on this asap. Sorry, I was the one who got things off track.

Oh, it's no problem at all, Wendy!! :biggrin: I am glad you asked. :wub: This is something I struggle with, too. Now, I have another tool to add to my wish list!!! :biggrin:

Hi all, I think I'm the only one not following the technique here, and it's so intriguing!

When would you ever need to ice a stacked cake? I have never done this, and I'm sure that this would be a disaster if I tried. It is true that we all do things differently!

When you say you round off the edge, what do you use to achieve an even roundness on the paint sheild?

Now, you say you don't round yours the way chefpeon's is, so I'm missing the point entirely. Initially, I thought you use the round edge as your "blade", but now I'm confused. Also, why would you cut it at an angle?

Lastly, what sort of cutter would you use to cut a piece of aluminum perfectly straight? Don't you end up with a razor sharp edge??

PS- Hi Wendy, it's momoreg!! :wink:

I do have pictures actually... I've never posted any here and can't seem to figure out how to? Cut & paste and all my usual tricks don't seem to be working! If someone can tell me how to post them I'm happy to share the photos! Thanks.