• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Wine Store in the greater D.C. Area

So I am soliciting various opinions on what people think is the best wine store for overall selection and value. I have been pretty faithful to Calvert Woodley over the past couple of years, but have found Macgruders on Conn Ave to have some good wines at very good prices on a consistent basis(i.e. allegrini palazzo del torre $14.99)

I've found myself at Bell Liquor on M Street and Schneiders most often. I especially like Bell for the friendly people and their selection of wines from the Sierra Foothills and El Dorado County in CA. Schneiders just has an incredible selection and very knowledgable people. Lately I've also been going to Arrowine and really like them as well.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

I go everywhere. Pepe at C/W is phenominal and I totally trust him. In fact I just returned from there with ten bottles in the $12-18 range that I will try. I buy by the case at Total (i.e. Chateau Souverain cab is $15.99; with a 10% case discount it is $14.39; tax is a bit more than half of D. C.. For comparison Souverain cab is $22 at some stores.) depending on the particular bottle. I have a case of Pallazzo which I picked up at Magruder's along with Marquis Phillips Sarah's, I bought two cases of the 94 point Don Melchor cab for $29.95 at Costco in Manassas. Wegman's was $47.95 for the same bottle. Similar to Pepe is the owner of the Wine Rack in Reston's Horth Hills shopping center. Randy is extremely knowledgeable and his taste approximates mine. He'll also negotiate when you buy more than one case. I also buy from Woodland Hills in CA and stop at the Wine Club in O. C. twice or so a year. They will ship here.

For most people it is finding one person who's opinion you trust and prices his wine fairly. When you like and you can afford his suggestions, go back to him. Some, like me, still return to their favorites like Randy and Pepe while also searching for the best price of what I know I will like.

I go everywhere.  Pepe at C/W is phenominal and I totally trust him.  In fact I just returned from there with ten bottles in the $12-18 range that I will try.  I buy by the case at Total (i.e. Chateau Souverain cab is $15.99; with a 10% case discount it is $14.39; tax is a bit more than half of D. C..  For comparison Souverain cab is $22 at some stores.) depending on the particular bottle.  I have a case of Pallazzo which I picked up at Magruder's along with Marquis Phillips Sarah's, I bought two cases of the 94 point Don Melchor cab for $29.95 at Costco in Manassas.  Wegman's was $47.95 for the same bottle.  Similar to Pepe is the owner of the Wine Rack in Reston's Horth Hills shopping center.  Randy is extremely knowledgeable and his taste approximates mine.  He'll also negotiate when you buy more than one case.  I also buy from Woodland Hills in CA and stop at the Wine Club in O. C. twice or so a year.  They will ship here.

For most people it is finding one person who's opinion you trust and prices his wine fairly.  When you like and you can afford his suggestions, go back to him.  Some, like me, still return to their favorites like Randy and Pepe while also searching for the best price of what I know I will like.

Joe,

Any particulars of the 10 bottles ($12-$18) that you bought from CW

'2003 Prima (Argentina) ($17.99) is the only one I've tasted yet and several friends and I did not like it. Actually bitter.

'02 Salentein Malbec, another Argentinian and not opened yet.

'03 Solyss La Corte from Puglia, not opened yet.

'03 Chateaus de Valcombe Prestige (Robert Kacher), a red not opened yet.

'02 Catena Malbec, an Argentinian raved about in the Post for $14.99-not opened yet (91 points from the WS)

'01 Casa de la Ermita Jumilla, Crianza-the Spanish wine is from a particularly good year and recommended by Pepe; not opened yet.

'02 Petit Grealo Sero Costers Del Segre, another Spanish wine (14% alcohol) recommended by Pepe; not opened yet.

I really like shopping at Arrowine, on Lee Highway in Arlingon. They have a great selection that turns over frequently, so I can not only find my favorites but also new things to try and discover.

I like their cheeses, their crackers, and their meat selection, too!

I used to live just up Connecticut from Calvert-Woodley and never really got into shopping there. It just struck me as dirty and crowded, and not really great for finding things. Plus, every time but once that I've been there, the staff has been rude to me. Phooey!

I lived in DC until last September. Both Schneider's and MacArthur's are top-notch. If you're in the neighborhood, Circle Wine & Liquors (on Connecticut near Chevy Chase Circle) is also worth a look. I found its new world wine selection to be superior to Calvert Woodley. Ask for Kumar.

Circle runs weekly specials in the Post as well.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Agree with all the previous recs., and would add Bells Liquors on M St. near 18th. They have good bargains on French and Italians and are really good on Californians. Worth talking to the owners when they are on the premises. Also highly recommend Schneiders as folks that go out of their way to obtain great wines from around the world.

Edited to add: appologize for redundance -- didn't see that wmsmurray already mentioned Bell. Great minds...

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Magruder's is one of my frequent stops. Mainly for beer (esp. since they began carrying Victory), but the occasional bargain priced bottle as well. Chevy Chase Liquors the next block down has the occasional interesting bottle (not to mention the best beer selection in the city IMHO). CW drives me absolutely bonkers.

For most wine I hop on the beltway and head over to Total in McLean. Huge selection and, with a couple of exceptions, a hugely knowledgable staff.

If you're in Alexandria, go to Rick's (where jparrot is pouring this weekend). Small shop with an intelligent collection and great staff.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

In VA, Rick's, Arrowine, and The Vineyard (under new, more aggressive management) are all solid. They all do a good job of playing off of DC retailers' weaknesses. Arrowine is "geekier" than the other two, with more interesting Loire and Champagne selections. The Wine Cabinet in Reston is up-and-coming. I haven't been to Curious Grape in years (somehow with my new gig, I guess that's going to change, though).

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

My top three:

1. Bassin's Macarthur Beverages (great selection of harder to find bottles, including some gems you will not find elsewhere, e.g. a few RM champagnes; very knowledgeable staff)

2. Schneider's (great selection - almost bewildering; an experience; gotta have eagle eyes or a periscope to see what they have on the upper shelves in those narrow aisles though)

3. Circle (closest to my house; decent selection; less emphasis on bargain-priced plonk; Kumar is great; Mr. Park and the older woman who works with him can be a little heavy handed in their sales efforts, though; also a bit pricey unless you buy off the specials only.)

Honorable mention:

Bell (great selection; helpful staff; am I the only one who thinks it smells funny in there?)

Wide World of Wines (agree with all comments above, but it is off my beaten path)

On the outs:

Central Liquors (changed ownership about three years ago, selection went way down and prices--which were never that great anyway--went through the roof).

[ CW drives me absolutely bonkers.

JPW,

Just curious what it is about CW that drives you bonkers? I have heard other say similiar things in regards to this store

Cramped quarters + aggressive crowds = a good thing I don't own a hand gun.

:smile:

Edit to add -- and parking sucks ventworm nuts

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

For deals, I find that I can't beat Schneiders, especially if I know what I am looking for. I've not really probed the wine guys' knowledge, though.

For pairing help, and new leads, Doug at Arrowwine has *never* steered us wrong. Love Doug; love the cheese counter, too.

I really want to love the Curious Grape, but I just don't. I think I have a different palate than the buyers there, because I very rarely come home with something new that I like. I've learned to stick with wines I already know when shopping there.

Edited by jphilg (log)

If you are truly a wine-geek, there is not one single store that can be declared the *best* store in the greater DC area. They each offer different wines at different prices and each have "gems" if you are there at the right time. The best in the group are listed above, but it also depends on if are you shopping for hard-to-find highly rated wines, best values, depth in a particular region, etc.

Bell (great selection; helpful staff; am I the only one who thinks it smells funny in there?)

Correct -- it is sometimes a bit miffy in there -- perhaps due to its proximity to Camelot :raz:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Schneider's, either fortunately or unfortunately, is on my walk home from Union Station after work. It's a good idea to be on their email list. You receive an email or two a week with a handful of good bottles on sale. I've got my pick for tonight!

Schneider's

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

JPW,

Just curious what it is about CW that drives you bonkers? I have heard other say similiar things in regards to this store

Not to mention that they can be incredibly snotty if you're not loading up on Grand Cru Bordeax. Even a formerly reliebale wine guy from another shop seems to have gotten a little full of himself since he's moved uptown.

And I'm a little skeptical of the "bargain" wines that they display by the case. Some is and some ain't, but they always get a big push.

Though, in all fairness, I have to say that the last few times I've dropped by, I've run into some new faces and they've been helpful and enthusiastic, so they may be changing.

I don't mind the cramped quarters at all. Gives it a callar-like feel.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

JPW,

Not to mention that they can be incredibly snotty if you're not loading up on Grand Cru Bordeax. Even a formerly reliebale wine guy from another shop seems to have gotten a little full of himself since he's moved uptown.

And I'm a little skeptical of the "bargain" wines that they display by the case. Some is and some ain't, but they always get a big push.

Though, in all fairness, I have to say that the last few times I've dropped by, I've run into some new faces and they've been helpful and enthusiastic, so they may be changing.

I don't mind the cramped quarters at all. Gives it a callar-like feel.

I like Schneider's a LOT-it IS one of the best in America! But it makes C/W feel "spacious" by comparison!

Even a formerly reliebale wine guy from another shop seems to have gotten a little full of himself since he's moved uptown.

I was at CW yesterday and thought I saw the guy from Chevy Chase wines working there. Is this who you are referring to?

Does anyone know what happened at Rick's? The eponymous Rick, who was founder, part-owner, and manager, was apparently banished by his partners. (I heard he took a job with Bobby Kacher.) The new wine manager, Rob Stewart, seems knowledgable and helpful, but is not around as much as Rick was. Still reserving judgment about the other new folks there.

We have always liked their Rhone offerings, but since turning our focus a bit to Italy have been somewhat disappointed with the selection.

My favorites are Wide World of Wines. Awesome selection a good prices. I go here for Port. One of the better selections in the city I think. I also like The Vineyard in Reston. The guy who is running the store now has some amazing juice most of which is in the back but he is happy to show you. Personally I hate Total Wine just because for the amount of wine that's in that store I do not trust their provenance at all.