• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Wine Store in the greater D.C. Area

Another option is to call/go to the Jaleo in Crystal City, and see if the retail wine shop in the restaurant carries the same wine.

Hmmmm. That's a Virginia location, but I'll give it a shot. Right now the nice people at MacArthur's are seeing if they can special order for us.

• 1 month later...
How can you say a store "sucks" when they sell wine by the case which is 40% cheaper than its list price?  I used the example of Chateau Souverain cab but there are many that Total has the lowest prices in the Washington area.  No, overall, I don't like Total.  But for some wine/most wine I go where I can get the best price.  Don't discount Total if you are willing to buy by the case.  For many of the more popular wines they have the best prices of anyone when you factor in state sales tax vs. DC sales tax.  I find myself at Magruder's, Total, C/W, MacArthur, Costco, even buying offshore and having it shipped here (i.e. Australian shiraz from Sydney).  Total doesn't have anyone whose opinion I would trust-but shopping there for me is not about this.  When I walk in their door I know what I want.  C/W, MacArthur, Reston's Wine Cabinet (an outstanding store) are different.  They also serve a different purpose.

Joe,

I think tj's comment was more because he does not buy "popular wine" and is not usually interested in buying a case of the wines that Total or Corridor sell (and he lives near Corridor). It is true that if you want to buy the ordinary bottle of wine by the case, Total is the place to go, but they seldom have what I want. I've also found that by establishing a relationship with a good wine shop, that sells the kinds of wines I'm interested in, I get just as good a discount. Hey, if you want a tool, you can go to a good hardware store, or you can go to Sears. I'd rather go to the hardware store. It isn't just price, it is also the service.

Edited by dinwiddie (log)

• 1 year later...

The best way to get great selection in Maryland is for us to be able to have direct wine shipment legislation passed. The state only has about 15,000 wines available in it via distributors while there are roughly 90,000 wines produced in the US. Please join our organization to help those in the Free State get more wines: http://www.mbbwl.org.