• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manka's Invernness Inn

Foodie-Girl

Or is there a recent thread?

We were there once...like a hundred years ago, and it was sort of falling-apart and not fabulous food....

Just read a nice write-up in Town and Country Travel Magazine and it sparked our interest.

Any recent info would be much appreciated. THANKS

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

We were there with another couple a few months ago and it was fabulous!!!! In fact the other couple had eaten there the year before and kept at us to take a few days and drive up especially to go to Manka's. They pride themselves on using local produce and meats: "Mr. Wolfe's Quail grilled in the fireplace nested in grilled leaves of Annabelle's escarole etangled with her ember charred onions and apple." And they're not kidding. I think they specialize in set menus that are longest and most involved on Saturdays. Ours was 8 courses for $88 and well worth it.

I think the lodge itself is pretty pricey, but we stayed at a lovely B & B 5 minutes away.

Here's a link: http://www.mankas.com/mankas/home.html

Emily

We were there once...like a hundred years ago, and it was sort of falling-apart and not fabulous food....

Any recent info would be much appreciated.  THANKS

Strangely, TiVo just taped an episode of Epicurious for us which featured "American Rustic Cuisine" and the lovely folks at Manka's.

http://www.epicurious.com/features/tv/episodes/episode92

My wife and I have stayed and eaten there a couple times over the last 10 years or so and have never had anything less than fabulous food. Not sure when you were there; but, the rooms always seem to me to be painfully perfect. Thick fur rugs on the floor, Kiehl's sampler in the bathroom, beautiful furnishings and fixtures. Unfortunately, (for us) the last time was in 2002. Since then, I believe they have expanded the inn to include some cabins down on the Tomales Bay. We think it is a great, albeit quite expensive, special occasion getaway.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Any recent info would be much appreciated.  THANKS

Strangely, TiVo just taped an episode of Epicurious for us which featured "American Rustic Cuisine" and the lovely folks at Manka's.

http://www.epicurious.com/features/tv/episodes/episode92

My wife and I have stayed and eaten there a couple times over the last 10 years or so and have never had anything less than fabulous food. Not sure when you were there; but, the rooms always seem to me to be painfully perfect. Thick fur rugs on the floor, Kiehl's sampler in the bathroom, beautiful furnishings and fixtures. Unfortunately, (for us) the last time was in 2002. Since then, I believe they have expanded the inn to include some cabins down on the Tomales Bay. We think it is a great, albeit quite expensive, special occasion getaway.

***Thanks so much! Well, Manka's is back on the list. We're thinking of a few days in late spring. Appreciate your comments!

If you are staying at Manka's, a few local eateries to add to your adventure would be the Station House Cafe in Point Reyes Station (I adore the Oyster Stew with Leeks & Mushrooms) as well as Vladimir's Czech in Inverness. Vladimir's has been there since 1960, all the food is cooked by 75-year-old Vladimir himself and the food is definitely old world in style and presentation (not haute cuisine, but the atmosphere and experience is unbeatable!)

Thanks for reminding me about Station House Cafe, Carolyn. I'm originally from CA and spent many years taking driving trips up and down the coast. Point Reyes Station.....fond memories.

Vladimir's...yes, another memory jogged! Thanks again!

And if you are heading to Point Reyes don't forget Tomales Bay Foods, home of Cowgirl Creamery. I believe their Red Hawk is one of the best artisanal cheeses being made in this country. But then I am addicted to it, so don't listen to me.

Lobster.

We were just at Manka's this past Christmas and I posted a review of our dinner on this board. I am impaired in the art of using the computer effectively so I will paste the review here because I cant figure out a way to give a link to it.

"We had the xmas feast at Manka's. This was a $120 prix fixe feast. We went all out by bringing the kids along and my mom. We had two delicious bottles of wine recommended by our waiter one a chardonnay Pats and Hall from Carneros and a very good pinot noir from the Russian River valley, but I cant remember more about it. The service was friendly and perfect, seamless. Dont ask about the final bill. The food was excellent. Mostly local ingredients. The menu was funny, too. Crisped Tomales Bay Oyster in a little sea of local leeks (puree). Wild Inverness watercress soup (creamy bitter aromatic). "A gratin of Peter's potatoes and ham fashioned from Mr. Pasternak's pig laced with chanterelles foraged from the point crowned with crumbs (very good, very rich). A cloud of Inverness apples (whipped apple ice). Breast of Jim's Duck seared over almond wood nested in a hash of Peter's sweet potatoes and the Christmas Goose. This was so good. The duck was perfect. The hash had cubes of white sweet potatoes that were just barely cooked (al dente) and so sweet with crispy pieces of goose. "The local red hawk swoops down upon coastal quince and seasoned walnuts." They served this Cowgirl creamery cheese perfectly ripe and gooey. The nuts were great fresh and crunchy with just the right amount of carmelized spice sugar coating, the quince jelly and quince sauce the perfect sweet foil to the cheese. The dessert was homemade ginger ice cream with caramel sauce and a wedge of deep chocolate. The chocolate was like a piece of deep chocolate fudge, the ginger ice cream was so good with chunks of chewy candied ginger inside and the caramel a perfect complement. They also served very crumbly pecan cookies, marshmallows dipped in caramel and if that wasnt enough a box of homemade nut brittle to take home with you. The Inn and the dining room all dark wood were beautifully illuminated by candles, a big fireplace and low lighting. The decorations were gorgeous and fragrant. We left very happy. Luckily the dining room was extremely noisy and our kids were on good behavior so we all had a good time."