• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Evaluation class discussion

This is going to be fun!

The infusions portion specifies "1 box cherries". I'm a bit confused because I don't normally associate cherries with boxes - except packing boxes, which are much too big. By inference with the box of raspberries and box of blackberries listed above, I'm guessing this is supposed to be about 1 pint of cherries. Is that right, or does it mean 1 box dried tart cherries? Is that the right quantity for the raspberries and blackberries?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

By inference with the box of raspberries and box of blackberries listed above, I'm guessing this is supposed to be about 1 pint of cherries.  Is that right, or does it mean 1 box dried tart cherries?  Is that the right quantity for the raspberries and blackberries?

Yes, 1 pint is correct.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I am also looking forward to this....but a question:

Do we purchase all the wines at once or will there be a daily/weekly schedule?

There's no schedule. The class will be featured for two weeks, and I will remain on hand to answer questions after that, so you can certainly space your sampling over a comfortable period of time.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I'm very excited about this course.... doing it in Canada no less :smile: . So far I've had a bit of trouble finding some of the specific wines suggested but I will persevere. Also not sure if I can find fresh cherries and peaches in March but will see what I can do. Would dried fruit suffice? Granted, I have found "fresh" blackberries and raspberries so it's a start :biggrin:

As a reference point, I will post the wines I've selected that are available in BC in case anyone else from here is interested in participating.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Thanks, appreciator. It isn't necessary to find the specific wines listed--they're just suggestions. You can definitely subsititute dried fruits or other herbs into your aroma kit. A list of wines available in Canada would be greatly 'appreciated, and 'I'm glad everyone so far is looking forward to it!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Re the "neutral white wine" for the aroma kit: in general I avoid cheap California chardonnays because so many of them are heavily oaky. Is that not an issue for the aroma kit? Or is Gallo sufficiently oak-free that it won't matter? Would a sauvignon blanc do as well from a "neutral" standpoint?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Due to various reasons, I'm not going to be able to participate in this class after all, at least not for this upcoming week. I will try to follow along with everyone's comments and discoveries though and if I can jump in I will.

As a side note, most of the wines listed are available in BC but some are only available at specialty stores. I know we can pick our own but I thought it would be an interesting exercise to find the ones recommended.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Rocks are in short supply around here right now unless I go after them with an ice chisel. I think I have enough in my pet rock collection around the house to satisfy the requirement, but I'm wondering whether I should be selecting particular types. River stones? Aquarium gravel? Lava?

Edited for lucidity

Edited by Smithy (log)

Due to various reasons, I'm not going to be able to participate in this class after all, at least not for this upcoming week.  I will try to follow along with everyone's comments and discoveries though and if I can jump in I will.

That's great! The course materials will remain posted, so you can catch up later as well, and you can contact me any time in the wine forum or by PM as well.

Rocks are in short supply around here right now unless I go after them with an ice chisel. I think I have enough in my pet rock collection around the house to satisfy the requirement, but I'm wondering whether I should be selecting particular types.  River stones? Aquarium gravel? Lava?

Hm. I hadn't thought about that possibility. :laugh: River stones would probably be best, if you can find some. If rocks are a problem, however, just substitute one of the suggested alternate ingredients.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Hi! :smile:

I'm in the process of preparing my Component Descriptor Kit. It might take me some time but I'll try to have everything ready.

A couple of questions, Rebel Rose:

When do need the kit?

Do I need to do the "blending" of ingredients all at the same time?

Once done with preparation, do we keep it at room temp or do we need to refrigerate?

In the period of two weeks, how many (total) assignments do we have to do (now we're up to 2)? I just want to have some idea so I can properly space out the assignments.

At which point do we need the Component Descriptor Kit?

TIA for the clarification.

Edited by cfusion (log)

"A bottle of wine is actually alive. It's constantly evolving and gaining complexity. That is, until it peaks - like your '61 - and begins its steady, inevitable decline."

Hi! :smile:

I'm in the process of preparing my Component Descriptor Kit.  It might take me some time but I'll try to have everything ready.

A couple of questions, Rebel Rose:

When do need the kit?

Do I need to do the "blending" of ingredients all at the same time?

Once done with preparation, do we keep it at room temp or do we need to refrigerate?

In the period of two weeks, how many (total) assignments do we have to do (now we're up to 2)?  I just want to have some idea so I can properly space out the assignments.

At which point do we need the Component Descriptor Kit?

TIA for the clarification.

There are only five basic lessons:

*The 10-step Tasting Primer

*Evaluating white wine varietals

*Evaluating red wine varietals

*Separating art and technique from nature

*Using the aroma kit

The eGCI team will post one lesson a day this week. Next week will be open for everyone who missed a lesson this week to catch up, review, or do further inquiry.

You needn't follow the schedule exactly. Depending on your schedule, preferences, and ahem, drinking habits, you may want to space your sampling out over the two weeks, or revisit the wines again on a following night and see if your perceptions have changed.

It's also interesting to try the wines on your own at a place and time when you can concentrate solely on your own perceptions, then try them again later with friends. Take your time and really explore the wines, and your relationship to them.

If your aroma kit isn't ready until the end of the week, that's fine. Definitely keep your aroma samples cool, and refrigeration would be best, if you have the space. I suggest storing the small jars in the box they came in, if you purchased them new. Allow them to warm up to cool room temperature before using. The aroma samples should last 2-3 weeks if kept very cool. (I'm not sure what you mean by "blending." Each aroma sample will stay in its own jar. You'll be using each aroma component as an aid to recognizing these aromas in wine.)

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

There are only five basic lessons:

*The 10-step Tasting Primer

*Evaluating white wine varietals

*Evaluating red wine varietals

*Separating art and technique from nature

*Using the aroma kit

Thanks for the clarification.

>> I'm not sure what you mean by "blending."

What I meant was if I should combine the wine and the ingredients when I have all of it ready - to do it all at the same time. So, I guess when I have it all, then, just combine and store it when I'm ready to do the exercise.

Thanks!

"A bottle of wine is actually alive. It's constantly evolving and gaining complexity. That is, until it peaks - like your '61 - and begins its steady, inevitable decline."