• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speaking of Kermit Lynch and Robert Kracher

DCMark

Any store can order these wines for you. Kacher wines are distributed by Washington Wholesale Liquor, Kermit Lynch wines are distributed by Winebow. Ask the store to call the distributor. They can get you one bottle or a case. It should take 2 days to get the wine.

Mark

I like the Valcombe. It, and many Kacher selections, can be found at Total.

I find the Costieres de Nimes provides great value. My everyday red is the Ch. Mas Neuf (approx. $8/bottle).

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Total in Sterling used to have a section devoted exclusively to Kacher wines. But they reorganized the store and now they are scattered. Usually you can find a batch of them in the Rhone section. One of my favorites is Chateau du Campuguet (sp), Cuvee Prestige.

Certainly one of the best lapsus revelateurs I've come across recently: Robert Kacher is the local wine importer, and Alois Kracher is the Austrian wine producer, known for his over-the-top, cloying, heavyhanded TBAs. Coincidentally :rolleyes:, both Kacher and Kracher are adored by Robert Parker.

Anyone going to Mondovino on Friday? :cool:

Total in Sterling used to have a section devoted exclusively to Kacher wines.  But they reorganized the store and now they are scattered.  Usually you can find a batch of them in the Rhone section.  One of my favorites is Chateau du Campuguet (sp), Cuvee Prestige.

I believe it is Campuget.

I, too, enjoy the Cuvee Prestige. I'm not a big fan of the *regular* label.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I propose that we morph this thread into a running review of wines imported by local importers such as Kacher and Lynch. Right now I am drinking a glass of:

Chateau Grande Cassagne "G.S." Costieres de Nimes 2003. A blend of Grehache and Syrah. The lable says: On the western edte of the Rhone Valley near the village of St. Gilles is the small estate of Grande Cassagne. This Robert Kacher Selection exhibits the depth of structure of old vines very concentrated in color and authentic richness.

My take: The label is accurate. The color is deep, the flavor rich, the aroma full. I had it with a plate of futuccine bolognese with fresh grated reggiano.

I got it from Total in Sterling and I don't recall what I paid for it, under $20, probably $10-12.

Tag, you're it.

Kermit Lynch is based in Berkeley, CA. He has a wine shop there completely devoted to the wines he imports. I visited there and found a few things that he sells only in the shop, because the production is too small for national distribution. Had the most amazing, over-the-top mourvedre that has ever graced my gullet. YUM doesn't even begin to describe it. Can I remember the name of it? Of course not...

Please, please continue to badmouth the Kracher TBAs, so we can get some of the incredible Wachau and Kamptal TBAs in this market!

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Man, I didn't have that kind of dosh before I started importing! And they don't pour that stuff at trade tastings.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Pearson's just sent out an email-- they have a couple of the wines from the article on sale and open for tasting.

CHATEAU VALCOMBE COSTIERES DE NIMES "CUVEE PRESTIGE" 2003

or

CHATEAU DE SURVILLE COSTIERES DE NIMES 2003

Reg 14.99

EMAIL PRICE $11.24 . . . your choice while they last.

I believe it is Campuget.

I, too, enjoy the Cuvee Prestige. I'm not a big fan of the *regular* label.

I agree on this one. The regular Campuget is the one Kacher selection I didn't much enjoy.

Chris Sadler

Because I've sold in Europe for so many years and regularly travel there so many times a year I've developed relationships with several places. I've traded Leonetti and Caymus Special Select (for them, impossible wines to find) for allocated bottles of Dal Forno Recioto and Avignonesi ong others. I also found that because we take our vacations in December and January when no one else in their right mind travels it is easy, with a polite e-mail or fax, to get into vineyards that are otherwise almost impossible. Until the last two years buying wine in smaller towns (say Dal Forno or Quintirelli in Soave) rather than a larger town (Alessi in Florence is double for the exact same bottle, Verona priced halfway between) combined with the exchange rate and no middleman would allow me to buy wine for 1/3 to 1/2 of what it sold for here. Unfortunately, with the exchange rate, that is no longer true. The same bottle of '97 Dal Forno Valpolicella that was 28 Euros in Soave two years ago (approx. $26 at then rate of exchange; year earlier it was $23), in December cost 46 Euros in Verona, 60 Euros at Alessi in Florence and between $75 and $120 here. My guess is that with the current Euro the '99 and '00 will be even more.

Pearson's just sent out an email-- they have a couple of the wines from the article on sale and open for tasting.

CHATEAU VALCOMBE COSTIERES DE NIMES "CUVEE PRESTIGE" 2003

or

CHATEAU DE SURVILLE COSTIERES DE NIMES 2003

Reg 14.99

EMAIL PRICE $11.24 . . . your choice while they last.

Not much of a deal.

Regular retail at TotalWine pops up at $13. At MacArthur $12.

CW didn't have the "Cuvee prestige" listed.

Joe W

Anyone going to Mondovino on Friday?  :cool:

Anyone got an extra ticket for Mondovino tonight? I just got the hall pass and the event is sold out. Grrrrrr....

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

• 3 weeks later...

I had a glass of the Brunel Rasteau (Kacher Selection) tonight that was M. Franz's top pick in the Post article on Cotes du Rhone on Wed. Pleasant, but I didn't think it was particularly great (not meaty and robust). They have a case of it left at Calvert Woodley, as well as the Kermit Lynch wine (Domaine de Durban) that was Franz's second pick (at an advance sale price of $13.99).

Edited by cjsadler (log)

Chris Sadler

I had a glass of the Brunel Rasteau (Kacher Selection) tonight that was M. Franz's top pick in the Post article on Cotes du Rhone on Wed.  Pleasant, but I didn't think it was particularly great (not meaty and robust).  They have a case of it left at Calvert Woodley, as well as the Kermit Lynch wine (Domaine de Durban) that was Franz's second pick (at an advance sale price of $13.99).

I have always enjoyed the Brunel Rasteau, one of my top three cotes du Rhones. Last time CW ran out of the Brunel Rasteau, it took them about threee months to get more in